SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a used '16 XC60 and during some detailing, I came across some cut outs in the bottoms of the driver and passenger doors. I suspect these are for some type of puddle lamp, but find it hard to believe the holes would be left open and "un-finished". Can someone confirm this?

I do have the approach/puddle lamps on the bottom of each mirror. These work at night when I approach the vehicle and depress the "light" button on the remote.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just checked my vehicle, and it also has the same holes. I have the same puddle lights on my mirrors that you describe. I'm clueless as to why the holes are there.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The image doesn’t load on my phone but I’m assuming the holes you both mention aren’t a mistake but are likely drain holes meant to drain moisture inside the door and add some airflow through the body to help keep things dry. Door bottoms are notorious for rusting on many cars. Hopefully these and other measures used to keep air circulating and used to drain instead of trapping water, will help keep your vehicle rust free for years to come.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The image doesn’t load on my phone but I’m assuming the holes you both mention aren’t a mistake but are likely drain holes meant to drain moisture inside the door and add some airflow through the body to help keep things dry. Door bottoms are notorious for rusting on many cars. Hopefully these and other measures used to keep air circulating and used to drain instead of trapping water, will help keep your vehicle rust free for years to come.
Sorry about the pic not loading - the holes are actually in the plastic door trim panel. They are a bit rectangular, like there is supposed to be something in there. I saw a used door panel on e-bay for a 2017 XC60 and there were no holes. They are a bit of a puzzle as the holes are on both the front driver and passenger doors but absent on the back ones.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The holes in the front door panels are covered with a flat rectangular cap on my car. I speculate it is an access hole, not for disassembly, but in case something drops inside the door panel when the window is down. The hole is big enough that you can fish things out (tree leaves) or vacuum the inside without removing the entire panel.

·
Registered
498 Posts
this hole is for the optional puddle lights found in the platinum trim. I had covers on mine, but my friends 2016 v60 did not have covers. You can purchase the puddle light and install if you desire, the harness is there if you take off the door panel (or at least it was there on my 2015). I ended up passing my covers to my friend when i did the puddle light install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this hole is for the optional puddle lights found in the platinum trim. I had covers on mine, but my friends 2016 v60 did not have covers. You can purchase the puddle light and install if you desire, the harness is there if you take off the door panel (or at least it was there on my 2015). I ended up passing my covers to my friend when i did the puddle light install.
cool - Thank You! This is what I suspected the holes were for. Now it looks a trip to the parts bin to source some lights after I pull the panel off this weekend to see if there is a harness hiding in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts