SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 3 months back my radiator blew. Ever since getting it replaced, I've had another coolant leak. Enough for me to refill my tank every 3 days or so. I cannot see any coolant on the ground, before or after driving. There are no leaks around the radiator. No residue around the hoses, thermostat housing, coolant tank. No smoke. Slight coolant scent in my garage every once in a while. No scent in the cabin. I thought I saw some residue around the bottom turbo coolant hose, so I bought a hose from ipd and took it to a local Volvo tech. Before he replaced it, he asked why I was doing it, given that he couldn't see a leak or any other reason to replace it. He put it back together and checked for leaks himself. He did find the tank cap was cracked. He replaced the cap and did a pressure test. Apparently, there were no issues. After two days of driving, the coolant light came on again. I've checked the oil, no sign of coolant in there. Checked the combustion chamber, nothing there. Cylinder compression is good on all. I have had intermittent hard starts. It misfires when the hard start occurs, but it doesn't feel like I have any after it starts (during idle, under load, high rpms, etc). The hard starts only recently came about. Maybe 2 months after the coolant leak appeared.

So am I looking at cracked sleeves, even if there is no visible residue in the chamber and compression is good? Or am I missing something else?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
Do a coolant test for combustion gases. If you're pressurizing the coolant via a crack or blown head gasket, the overflow tank cap may be venting and you *might* not ever see any evidence.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
So about 3 months back my radiator blew. Ever since getting it replaced, I've had another coolant leak. Enough for me to refill my tank every 3 days or so. I cannot see any coolant on the ground, before or after driving. There are no leaks around the radiator. No residue around the hoses, thermostat housing, coolant tank. No smoke. Slight coolant scent in my garage every once in a while. No scent in the cabin. I thought I saw some residue around the bottom turbo coolant hose, so I bought a hose from ipd and took it to a local Volvo tech. Before he replaced it, he asked why I was doing it, given that he couldn't see a leak or any other reason to replace it. He put it back together and checked for leaks himself. He did find the tank cap was cracked. He replaced the cap and did a pressure test. Apparently, there were no issues. After two days of driving, the coolant light came on again. I've checked the oil, no sign of coolant in there. Checked the combustion chamber, nothing there. Cylinder compression is good on all. I have had intermittent hard starts. It misfires when the hard start occurs, but it doesn't feel like I have any after it starts (during idle, under load, high rpms, etc). The hard starts only recently came about. Maybe 2 months after the coolant leak appeared.

So am I looking at cracked sleeves, even if there is no visible residue in the chamber and compression is good? Or am I missing something else?
a small tiny crack is not going to lower your compression to where you would actually notice it especially with your coolant system closed ...but your coolant cap crack and your radiator being replaced and start up missing sums up to everything you described = cracked sleeve.

carbon in coolant test will confirm it or rule it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No my carpet is not wet in any spots. No window fogging, no smell in cabin, etc. No signs of it being heater core.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a small tiny crack is not going to lower your compression to where you would actually notice it especially with your coolant system closed ...but your coolant cap crack and your radiator being replaced and start up missing sums up to everything you described = cracked sleeve.

carbon in coolant test will confirm it or rule it out.
My nightmare

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Is the transmission cooler built into your radiator? I am not sure on the GT'S. Check your trans fluid and see if it could be going in there from a possible faulty radiator.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the transmission cooler built into your radiator? I am not sure on the GT'S. Check your trans fluid and see if it could be going in there from a possible faulty radiator.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I guess (just because I'm trying to be hopeful) I could check. No dipstick for trans on 07 GT, but I believe there is a plug that I can check.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
2,521 Posts
Do you smell coolant if you turn on your heat?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
That's a lot of water to lose, if it was going in the cabin it would be impossible to miss.

Sounds like you ruled out any external leaks in addition to wasting a money on replacing hoses that didn't appear to be leaking as well.

Assuming you and your mechanic haven't missed a radiator seam leak that when taking into account your occasional hard starts and misfires that you may have a cracked cylinder.

Low mileage for that if your sig is up to date though. Makes me glad I won't have to worry about this issue any longer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Amount sounds about right for the heater core to be leaking. Pull of the trim pieces on the lower portion of the dash on each side and take a look. I had similar symptoms and that's what it was for me at 110k miles. Fried the SUM module too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I'm going to check on my heater core, as well as the combustion gas test. My head is telling me it's a cylinder. My heart is hoping it's the core. The misfires make me uncomfortable, but it's only at start up, and my performance has not seemed to deplete much, if at all. Luckily, I have a warranty that might cover it either way. I'll update when I get more info. Thanks guys!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a lot of water to lose, if it was going in the cabin it would be impossible to miss.

Sounds like you ruled out any external leaks in addition to wasting a money on replacing hoses that didn't appear to be leaking as well.

Assuming you and your mechanic haven't missed a radiator seam leak that when taking into account your occasional hard starts and misfires that you may have a cracked cylinder.

Low mileage for that if your sig is up to date though. Makes me glad I won't have to worry about this issue any longer.
You're in Trinidad? Do you ever come down to Albuquerque? We've got a pretty awesome Volvo scene down here!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was supposedly the head gasket. Slight leak on #1 and #3. Didn't even cross my mind, given no sign of coolant in the oil or visa versa. Luckily it was covered under warranty, so Volvo is currently working on it. Decided to get the timing belt done as well. Plus, they offer the lifetime warranty on repairs. Just in time for boost weather!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Unless this car was overheated badly, that's unlikely. I hope the mechanic that popped the head knows what to look for when it comes to cracked cylinders.

A few people on this board have paid for head gasket replacements that didn't do anything to stop cracked cylinders from leaking just because the mechanics didn't even know what to look for. They just see signs of water leakage and gasket distortion by the cylinder cut and automatically assume its the gasket that failed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts