SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

421 - 440 of 751 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Some of you know, I "won" the Shark handheld tuner in the CTD8 raffle. (Technically Travis won, but he auctioned it off for charity and I was the high bidder).
I've spent the last few months working with Juha and Mikko to get a strong tune for my car. Many files later, we finally got a file which out performs the Elevate tune I had AND they deleted the 2nd O2 sensor (not just ignoring the signal) so no more CEL!

The Elevate tune was great on my S40 and was also great on my C30. Shortly after buying my C30, I ran over a dead opossum which kindly ripped out my O2 sensor. I replaced the sensor but a faulty signal CEL remained. I replaced the wiring to the O2 sensor, but the CEL remained. I replaced the O2 sensor again, but the CEL remained. I have a catless downpipe, so the O2 signal was already being ignored. Rather than throwing more money into solving the issued, I contacted Elevate about having my tune delete the O2 sensor entirely and not just ignore the readings. Unfortunately, because Elevate does not write their own tunes, I was never able to get an updated file.

Shark was able to delete the sensor and clear the CEL, but my car gave some difficulties with tuning. Truth be told, had I never experienced a tuned P1 before, I would probably have been very satisfied with the first few tune files they sent me. However, I wasn't willing to give up the performance I had gotten used to. That is why it took a few months and multiple tune files before we finally got a tune which outperforms the previous Elevate tune.

To make the day even better, my new tires arrived! Federal 595 RSR Racing. I'm already replacing my tires 2-3 times a year, often times throwing away tires with remaining tread just because I want/need maximum grip for our dragon trips. The grip on these Federals is amazing! With a tread wear rating of 140, I don't expect them to last long. But they're also half the price of the summer tires I was running before. As TheBelgian mentioned, the 595 RSR run wide. The 235s I just received are wider than the 245 Continentals I had before.

I also think I finally solved the issues with my hydraulic clutch system... But I'm going to give it a few weeks of testing before I comment on that.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dang, man you've been busy! Can't wait to see the car again.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #424

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #426

·
Registered
94 Posts
Finished up my grille (or lack there of) project, but I'm not convinced that I like it... Anyone have a stock grille they want to sell me?

https://goo.gl/photos/erUDd2JSiUQPTkE49

https://goo.gl/photos/VpkiCxGvXx3DUHmF8

I am pleased with how my aluminum Shark badge turned out.

https://goo.gl/photos/2HoxhhdbuTXUoY1f8
Hey Michael,

Nice job you did there. May I ask how you did this?

My opinion on this is that the original grille is the best looking for the C30. I've seen so many and I always think: Why do C30 guy's want to change their grille?
I believe it is the best looking from all the P1's. The shapes are so good and look sporty and decent at the same time.
Hope you get a used one for a decent price.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Hey Michael,

Nice job you did there. May I ask how you did this?

My opinion on this is that the original grille is the best looking for the C30. I've seen so many and I always think: Why do C30 guy's want to change their grille?
I believe it is the best looking from all the P1's. The shapes are so good and look sporty and decent at the same time.
Hope you get a used one for a decent price.
Thanks! The C30 grille is two parts, one is the frame, one is the grille slats and the portion that clips into the bumper. I cut the stock grilles out, put the frame back in place, then fiberglassed over the holes. I have to agree with you, the C30 has a great looking stock grille. But it's a stock grille... Every C30 has the same one and I wanted to be different. Wasn't my best decision! Live and learn. At least I'll never be wondering "what if." :)

Looking at the second picture, just the grille, I think it looks alright. But when you look at the whole front end of the car, it feels like something is missing... Something's just not right.

I think because this grille is framed in black, the FMIC opening is body color, and the fog grilles have actual grille bars going across, you get three different types of openings on the front of the car and it becomes too busy.

This style grille on the Elevate C30 looks amazing. But I also realized that his car doesn't have fog grilles, they're all open.

So I'll be reverting to a stock grille, because that compliments my fog grilles nicely. Maybe I'll remove the vertical bars so that it's a near identical match.

https://goo.gl/photos/TfKeE3juWdh7crSC6

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks! The C30 grille is two parts, one is the frame, one is the grille slats and the portion that clips into the bumper. I cut the stock grilles out, put the frame back in place, then fiberglassed over the holes. I have to agree with you, the C30 has a great looking stock grille. But it's a stock grille... Every C30 has the same one and I wanted to be different. Wasn't my best decision! Live and learn. At least I'll never be wondering "what if." :)

Looking at the second picture, just the grille, I think it looks alright. But when you look at the whole front end of the car, it feels like something is missing... Something's just not right.

I think because this grille is framed in black, the FMIC opening is body color, and the fog grilles have actual grille bars going across, you get three different types of openings on the front of the car and it becomes too busy.

This style grille on the Elevate C30 looks amazing. But I also realized that his car doesn't have fog grilles, they're all open.

So I'll be reverting to a stock grille, because that compliments my fog grilles nicely. Maybe I'll remove the vertical bars so that it's a near identical match.

https://goo.gl/photos/TfKeE3juWdh7crSC6
I'm 100% with you that the stock grille will compliments the whole image a lot ;)

Stock isn't always bad, but you're right; live and learn :)

I don't know if I should like the Elevate grille or not...

I love the look of your car with the stock grille and as you said it compliments with your fog grilles

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you do this? looks 50x better than stock.

TheBelgian stopped by last night to swap my brake lights over.

On a stock car, the lower "arches" were the taillights and the ugly rectangles on the upper portion were the brake lights. As seen on the Blue C30 here:

Now, the lower arches function as both the taillight and the brake lights. I know the upper brake lights provided a more noticeable location and it was a throwback to the old Volvo wagons. But now there is significantly more brake light illumination and it looks a lot more modern. :D

Taillights:

Brake lights:
Thought this was the way it should be.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
Thought this was the way it should be.
Definitely! I provided you with the DIY link on C30Crew. Welcome to SwedeSpeed as well!

Nice looking car. Here is my passion red that I just start modding :)
It looks like you have a lot of passion to modify your car. You'll fit in well here. :)
Welcome to SwedeSpeed!

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Installed the wheel bearing lock braces.

The kit comes with the brace and replacement bolts for everything that you'll be undoing.

It is normal for the front hub bearings to sit out about 0.5mm.

The bracket installs over the dust shield using extended bolts.

It should sit flush with the hub once installed.
do you have to install these in the rear also ?

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #438

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Please come join the new MNIWT Tribe on DriveTribe! It'll be the same content I post on here and Instagram, but the more follows the better. :)

421 - 440 of 751 Posts