SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a MY82 240 GLT. It has a b21ft motor with 4speed + overdrive tranny and it has an annoying starting problem which are at predictable times. If the vehicle has sat over night it starts right up and runs well. I noticed however once the vehicle has been running and its been warmed up to normal temp, and if I let the volvo sit for a couple of hours and then make an attempt to start it, it tries to start but stumbles and then dies immediatly. To get it started I have to crank the starter and manipulate the gas pedal a little. It's not like the morning starts where a quick flick of the starter gets it up and running smoothly. I don't even have to touch the gas pedal in the mornings. Also, when I experience the difficult starts, I have to raise the rpm's and rev the engine a little to get it to idle without dying. It almost sounds and feels like it's a little clogged up or something. But why does it only do this once the car has been warmed up? So far I have replaced spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter, and performed an oil change. I have also used carb cleaner down the carborator and after which I noticed the car ran a little smoother throughout the rev range, but I still can't figure out what the problem is with the warm starts. Could it be some kind of sensor or smog device that's not working properly.. Maybe a vacuum leak or clogged line or something. Hope this all makes sense... Any suggestions?<BR>Thanx<BR>Stefan

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I learned to drive in the same car. Ours had fuel pump problems that had a similar side effect. If you notice the problem is less noticable or gone at a full tank of gas I guarentee you (well, almost) it is a week pump. <BR>Our '82 GLT also prefered higher octane fuel (higher than 87 grade) or else it pinged a little and/or hard to start at times. I realize different areas have different gas qualities though, maybe Ontario isn't the best for that.<P>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts