1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
When you manipulate the shift patterns and the timing of the engine, etcetera you inadvertently impact emissions. In order to sell a "tune" Volvo would need to certify that the car is still where it needs to be emission wise. That costs money and takes time. So that is why you did not see Polestar offered in California for T8 cars. There were a couple other States that went along with California. Many years ago I had a Corvette. I had heard that if you complained enough the dealership would change the Prom that impacted shift points and tune. Chevy did not want everyone asking for that because it would impact their emissions. Things have tightened up more so over the years. The XC60 is a lighter car then the XC80 by almost 500 lbs.. That may have something to do with how emissions will be affected by the tune.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you manipulate the shift patterns and the timing of the engine, etcetera you inadvertently impact emissions. In order to sell a "tune" Volvo would need to certify that the car is still where it needs to be emission wise. That costs money and takes time. So that is why you did not see Polestar offered in California for T8 cars. There were a couple other States that went along with California. Many years ago I had a Corvette. I had heard that if you complained enough the dealership would change the Prom that impacted shift points and tune. Chevy did not want everyone asking for that because it would impact their emissions. Things have tightened up more so over the years. The XC60 is a lighter car then the XC80 by almost 500 lbs.. That may have something to do with how emissions will be affected by the tune.
XC60 T8 is similar weight as XC90 T8. Engine wise, I believe MY2020 XC90 T8 will be able to get P* tune because it is EPA certified slightly differently (less eMPG) than old T8.
MY2018 XC60 T8 doesn't offer P* tune in US. But MY2020 XC60 T8 P* Engineered will have.

Why don't they put Ohlins shocker and Brembo brakes on XC90 T8? I don't know.
Maybe sporty drivers usually want smaller cars. Bug SUV is not good for cornering.
Maybe they will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts