SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a previous owner of the 740GLE, 940 turbo, 850 turbo wagon, C70, XC70, so definitely have had a long history with Volvo. I've been holding out purchasing a new car, waiting for months for the new v60 (think it's absolutely amazing looking)to become available and during the interim, test drove the s60 (T6), V90 (T6 Polestar tuned) and xc60 (T6 and T8). For some reason, I keep feeling like there is a hesitation on the power delivery at around 30mph before kicking in again. The acceleration numbers and hp numbers look impressive on paper, but somehow it's not translating to me on actual driving performance. I've read some reviews where other people have mentioned similar experience (or say it's not sporty), or others that recommend the T5 engine for more consistent acceleration. I know about turbo lag, etc from prior volvos, but that's usual initial hesitation, whereas this one feels like just when you want to get going (e.g., highway on ramp or passing another car), the car hesitates. Anyone else notice this? Thanks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I come from a similar background to you. I, too, think that the new Thors-hammer Volvos look much better than this "purgatory" series that's been out there since the last few years of the Ford era.

Yes, everybody notices the shifting problem -- owners and online reviewers alike -- so much so that it's surprising that Volvo hasn't rectified the problem yet. It must be something to do with the superchargers, because the T5s seem to be much better.

I wasted the better part of a year test-driving only T8s and T6s in the Volvo 90 series vehicles around 1-2 yr ago, thinking that I definitely needed that greater horsepower, without ever giving any T5s a look. Turns out it was a mistake. I ordered a 2018 V90 CC T6, and then was so frustrated with it that I surrendered it for a Porsche instead -- quite a big thing for me, who has been driving Volvo wagons constantly since 1985 (and still am).

Then I read some online reviews and saw some YouTube videos reviewing the turbo-only T5 models, which praised their peppy driving in comparison to the supercharged models, and I decided to test-drive some T5s in the last half year. The transmission shifting is way better in the T5s, and the horsepower really very good -- so much so that I am planning to get a new-gen V60 Cross Country in the next year or two, trading in my Macan for it at some point after Volvo has upgraded the infotainment screen via Google OS. One can also Polestar-tune the T5 engine to gain some more horsepower and torque, if so desired. My intention will be to get a T5 and try it for a few months, and then upgrade to Polestar tune if I think it's lacking some hp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I thought I was hallucinating or something since most mainstream reviews were very cookie cutter and never really pointed it out except saying that “if you want sporty, stick with the Germans”. I’m thinking about leasing a x3 m40i for 3 years and hopefully they fix the issue (and the v60 T8 polestar becomes more accessible!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure what driving mode the reviews were done in for the S60 specifically (I haven't driven a V60, though I wanted one initially). In comfort mode, there is definitely lag and hesitation, so much so it surprised me when taking off from a stop (there's a dead spot in the initial pedal travel).

In Dynamic mode, it's a totally different story. The SC does an excellent job of eliminating most lag, and once it leaves the turbo standing on its own, it continues to pull very hard towards redline. Shifting is very quick and crisp (especially when using the paddle shifters).

With that said, I do have the Polestar optimization (and I have not driven another S60 without it). I have driven an XC90 with the T6, and my S60 felt much peppier, faster, and shifted more quickly/aggressively. Not sure if that comparison was just down to the size of the XC90, or that the Polestar opt. really does make the car that much better.

I regularly use Dragy, visit the track, and have access to a dyno as well. My plan is to log the car in its various forms at some point (it will be interesting to compare differences in the powerband between comfort and dynamic). That will better illustrate exactly what is occurring in each mode. Overall I'm thoroughly enjoying the performance of the S60 with the P* optimization.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I owned a 2006 R and the eDrive T6 can hang with that car.

But you have to thrash it about; ie select Dynamic mode, and deselect traction control and use paddles or the gear selector to keep the revs up.

The transmission wants to always select a higher gear; motivate it to select a lower one.

Certainly not Volvo's most sporting product of all time, but it can act the part if you select all the right levers.

With the Polestar optimization, the T6 (R-Design) is only a half step behind a real Polestar and it conjures up an old stock R.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Today's T6 will outaccelerate the old R cars; add Polestar optimization and it's no chance for the old R (especially in automatic).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Volvo limited the torque for the first few years in the automatic R, but let it flow fully up to 295 peak at the end.
And that car in automatic only weighted 3,693 pounds. The T6 weighs over 3,900 pounds.

So it would be even with a T6 stock in a straight line; both rated by Volvo at 5.3 seconds.

Polestar optimization would certainly top the speed of the stock R but only in a straight line.

The R had a significantly stronger turbo, better chassis/suspension and brembos; so around the corners it would easily shed the R-Design.

And that 5 cylinder R could easily be taken up to 400+ torque. The T6 seems to be limited to 340 max.

I like my T6 R-Design but it is not a real R; never will be either. The R is a legacy for Volvo; the R-Design is not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts