SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

MY2019 S60 Observations

7K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  rumyn 
#1 ·
Now that there are thousands of us who have put thousands of miles on them, I am very interested to hear thoughts about the new S60...

Personally, I am driving a T6 R-Design with Polestar optimization. I am thoroughly enjoying my ride. It had one hiccup early on (needed a replacement water pump) and the mileage is a little underwhelming at 20MPG average. But otherwise, it is a really good car; my second favorite Volvo of all time. It looks great, has decent sporty performance and did not break the budget.

Hope others are similarly pleased. It doesn't seem to be selling particularly well, but that's a piece of the Volvo charm - its more of a niche focus versus mass market. I also still use a Blackberry.

Regardless, please share your thoughts...

#2 ·
I too am loving ours. I traded in a BMW 4 series and this feels every bit as sporty but much more comfortable. The tranny seems like the best I've ever had from Volvo, almost as good as the Bimmer. I have, literally, no complaints. I'm even getting 27mpg but I have a T5.

I test drove everything in the class and while some cars might've been better at one thing or another I believe the Volvo is the best at most things that matter everyday.....[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I too came from a 4 Series, 428 X drive Gran Coupe.

My observations on my S60 T6 R Design. I do not have Polestar optimization but that is on my to do list.

The S60 handles more linearly and is consistently solid up to about 75 MPH. The BMW handled better at faster speeds.
Better turning radius on the Volvo.
The Volvo seems quicker off the line until about 35 MPH.
The S60 is more comfortable and roomy.
My BMW had none of the safety features of the Volvo.
I like the Sensus system and like being able to use Carplay when I need to.
I miss the red lighting of the BMW gauges.
I think the Volvo phone app is miles better than the BMW one. Mileage was better on the BMW. I get low 20s locally 25-27 on the highway.

#5 ·
I had an S60 T6 as a service loaner while my V90 was in the shop. I put over 1,000 miles on it. The car was very comfortable and similar to the V90 on the inside. The ride was good and the controls were easy to use. The S60 would be something that I would consider if I was in the market for a sedan -- especially since I don't need something as big as an S90.

#7 ·
Very interesting to have two BMW converts; that's potentially good news for Volvo if there are more enlightened shoppers.
I actually cross shopped against the 330iX MSport and Audi S4. I think the T6 R-Design hangs in nicely with both of these cars.
But Volvo doesn't equate with performance in most people's view, unless they take the time to dig in...
Hopefully more people take a hard look; BMW, Audi and Mercedes are surely taking notice of the S60.
Volvo certainly isn't ever going to be BMW's M, Audi's RS or Mercedes' AMG. But it stacks up nicely in the wannabe-category.

#14 ·
I drove my former 2.0 eDrive (a 2016 XC90 T6) really hard for 3 years and it never made any of the beautiful sounds that my new 2.0 makes (via a 2019 S60 T6) all the time. The Polestar optimization makes it even nicer sounding (i.e., meaner) but the stock is nice as well. Not sure if it is all mechanical or perhaps fabricated...regardless, it is very different.

#18 ·
The S/V60 R-Design and Polestar models have active exhaust systems which do create a better sound than the earlier SPA cars.

My S60 T5 Inscription just hit 9K miles. Car is a joy to drive and mpg is now up to 34 in mixed driving. Full disclosure, I drive it in "Eco" mode quite often, which means it coasts on decel with no engine braking. It becomes a bit of a game while driving to see how much one can coast.

#15 ·
Had a fully loaded awd as a loner. I loved it and put plenty of miles on it. That turbo is legit. I wonder how much the extended warranty would be for one of those? It was really nice but the electronics struck me as something that is going to be a problem. Same with the all wheel drive. I would still take one, no problem.

#16 ·
The extended warranty is very well priced and sold in fixed price by a brave dealer steingold volvo at squareup.com. Up to 10 year 100k miles and is below $3k. (and use code swedespeed to get 100 off).
Fixed price removed the hassle to negotiate with dealer and no other dealer could beat it.

#19 ·
Have 585 miles on a T5 MY 2019 S60 that I picked up last week. Birch with blond interior; Inscription trim with 4-C chassis and 19" wheels. This is the first car I have had in about a decade, so it's a bit of a change being seated lower to the ground. Took the car on a trip to the beach this past weekend and got some good highway mileage on it. Love the ride and interior comfort. It feels heavier on the road than expected and the 250hp is plenty for my purposes. I'm sure that a Polestar engineered T6 would be fun...maybe the next car. We have a MY2018 XC90 as well with a B&W sound system and I think the Harmon/Kardon system does just fine in the smaller cabin. I know it's a point of frustration for some, but I do like the touch screen system that Volvo uses in these models. Very intuitive.

Very pleased with the decision. S/o to Forrest at Volvo of Cary for going above and beyond to track down the car-specs I wanted.

#24 ·
Hi. New here. Just got a new S60 T5 w/ P* about 3 weeks ago. I opted for the T5 because I only drive about 5k miles/year (work from home) and I just know I'd hate seeing that AWD (and paying for it) to just sit there, so the Polestar option gives me the torque I need (for a decent value - paid $1100 - compared to upgrading to a T6) when I am out and about mostly in or around LA.

I came from Mazda (had a Mazda 5, then got my wife a 2016 CX-5, and myself a 2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring) and really love what they're doing there in terms of design and engine development, but - believe it or not - I saw a Facebook ad for the new S60 and thought, "Damn! That's a good looking little beast. I need to at least check it out!" (Advertising works.) Got one and although I loved Mazda, I just love my new S60. Despite both the Mazda6 and new S60 being 4-cylinder, the exhaust note on the S60 sounds better (not great, but definitely better than the Mazda). The Mazda was fun to drive despite its 6-gear transmission, especially in sport mode in these LA canyon roads. But the S60, albeit not as tight and engaging steering as my Mazda6 GT, it strikes a perfect balance between comfort and sport. I ONLY drive in Dynamic Mode and the Polestar optimization is so close to how I myself hold gears and downshift before red lights (yes it actually downshifts when I get off the break and coast for some time as I approach a red light!), that I have not had use for the paddle shifters (used them a ton on the Mazda) and that may change once I take it into the canyon roads. So, kudos to Polestar! I wish they would mention the P* optimization more in articles and reviews, because to get the same torque on a T5 w/ P* as a T6 without P* is great value especially for local or city driving.

Anyway, nice to be here and I hope to give more input later on (and learn more about Volvos here) as I put more miles on her.

#26 ·
If you are driving in Dynamic with P* vehicle, is gas mileage really a concern? I drive the living hell out of my car since day 1 and never once cared to look at my mileage.

#27 ·
How far up the Taconic did you go? So excited to do this. My mom is coming in a few weeks, and we're going to Fishkill, over 84/Newburgh bridge, and up to Monticello.

#28 · (Edited)
S60 T5 R design handling thoughts: While the car handles really well in corners (zero body roll, excellent grip, solid and tight,) I am a bit disappointed in the steering. I feel like the last generation's steering was a bit better(less electrically boosted, artificial, more linear). I have tried setting the steering mode to high but that only seems to increase the artificial boost and does not seem to make the car feel or handle any better. I may be in the minority here but I think the steering actually feels best when set to low. It seems the least artificially boosted in that setting. The car also German like stability all the way up to 100mph but not much more than the last generation.

I will say- this car feels a ton more solid/refined than the last generation. The last generation had more of a "raw" feel to it. Perhaps that was why the steering was better? I felt more connected to the road and to the tires. While this car handles really well, the steering is just too numb and uncommunicative. Either way, it's a great car but it's more of a luxury sedan than a sports sedan. Volvo really needs to do a better job on the R-design models if it truly wants to compete in the luxury sports sedan market in my opinion.

#29 ·
I have the T6 R-Design with Polestar... I originally pinged my dealer about pricing on a T5 Momentum, but the T6 R had the Costco incentive on it which helped me out of my Acura lease early and the payment was only $22/mo more than the T5. Hard to say no at that point.

Cross shopped and test drove the 3 Series and the A4... both great cars, just not “me.” The Audi had a lot of hard plastic and fake leather, the BMW dash looked cluttered. Both drove well for my needs, but weren’t as handsome as the S60 and would have cost more comparably equipped.

It’s a LOT of car, way more than I need for my commute and I wish gas mileage were better. But I’m not sorry in the slightest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I have the T6 R-Design with Polestar... I originally pinged my dealer about pricing on a T5 Momentum, but the T6 R had the Costco incentive on it which helped me out of my Acura lease early and the payment was only $22/mo more than the T5. Hard to say no at that point.

Cross shopped and test drove the 3 Series and the A4... both great cars, just not "me." The Audi had a lot of hard plastic and fake leather, the BMW dash looked cluttered. Both drove well for my needs, but weren't as handsome as the S60 and would have cost more comparably equipped.

It's a LOT of car, way more than I need for my commute and I wish gas mileage were better. But I'm not sorry in the slightest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a lot of car. I'd be happy to trade you for my T5 R w/ P*. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Does this apply to the 2018 V90 as well?

#40 ·
Polestar optimization in part sends increased torque to the rear wheels but I don't think it's "RWD dominant" like the poster above was told.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.