SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have eyed XC90 since I first saw it in in Auto show in 2018 but couldn't make the switch. I was casually searching and cam across this 2016 CPO XC90 with only 30k miles, 20" wheels and with M+ and convenience package, looks pretty good and has clean carfax for 38K, do you think will be a good buy considering some issues I read with 2016 models which this particular one doesn't look like it had any. I am at 6k negative equity for my dumb explorer loan as dealer is offering very less for trade but ready to make the switch as I kind of like this one. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Ask dealer to pull the service history for it to rule out suspicious things. Could be a good deal. If you want more peace of mind you can buy extended CPO warranty to 10year unlimited miles for about $3k.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask dealer to pull the service history for it. Could be a good deal. If you want more peace of mind you can buy extended CPO warranty to 10year unlimited miles for about $3k.

I asked and all that sales rep shows me is just the Carfax report and says everything is good and multi point inspection is done. They are not budging a single penny on listed price though I see that they have it on lot for nearly 3 months. I like this one but they way sales team is nit budging on cost is making me swing on and off. I am so bad at negotiation.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
You'd ask them when the spark plugs were replaced with new revised parts. This is important for MY16 cars.

Price for CPO probably is firmer than new cars as they have a fixed cost on it, not like paying some interest for unsold new cars. If you can find other CPO cars in other dealers you can leverage it. It is really no much trick for negotiation.

·
Registered
838 Posts
2016 was not a good year for the XC90, proceed with caution, and deff get the extended warranty if you do decided to purchase it.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
2016 was not a good year for the XC90, proceed with caution, and deff get the extended warranty if you do decided to purchase it.
If the car was serviced normally and the car was not traded in soon after some unexpected service visits, I tend to think it should be fine. Early quirks should have surfaced and got fixed in the past years.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
I asked and all that sales rep shows me is just the Carfax report and says everything is good and multi point inspection is done. They are not budging a single penny on listed price though I see that they have it on lot for nearly 3 months. I like this one but they way sales team is nit budging on cost is making me swing on and off. I am so bad at negotiation.
Is this at a Volvo Dealer? I'd ask they give you a complete service history. CarFax means very little. If it shows something great, but not showing anything means zilch. Many places do not report to CarFax. So getting a complete list of services would give you a piece of mind that at least the vehicle got proper TLC.

Also, carefully inspect the vehicle for any irregularities. Accidents are again not always reported. So don't rely on the dealer's "Good Word" it's spotless. Look yourself

If it's been sitting on the lot 3 months, then it clearly isn't competitively price. How much are they asking? Go on CarGurus and Autotrader. Pull some comparable prices and see how the one you want ranks against them.

Can always contact one of those dealers (do nationwide) and get them to give you a price. And then let the selling dealer know you're pricing around. See if that helps them budge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
chowdarygm -- IMHO best way to "negotiate" is not to negotiate. Decide how much you're willing to pay (like others have suggested, use cars.com and autotrader.com to find comps, but remember those are asking prices not sold prices) ... then offer the dealer your price, and then walk away. Literally, walk out the door. You have nothing to lose by doing that. You might find that the salesman chases you down in the parking lot and accepts your offer, or calls you a day or two later and accepts. Or a week or two later. As long as you're sitting in the chair in the dealership, they know that you want the car and you're willing to pay more than you've offered. The only way to show them that you've reached your ultimate price, is to walk away. Until you walk, they think they can squeeze a bit more money out of your wallet. Remember, this isn't the only 2016 XC90 in the world. You don't need this exact car, today. Walk away, and keep looking. You may find another one that you like, at a better price -- or this dealer might call you back in a month and say "OK, come pick up your Volvo."

Of course, if you've done your homework and this particular car is priced right (and checks out mechanically), then by all means buy it. Just because the dealer won't budge on the price, doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad price. Many dealers are moving towards "no haggle" pricing, so maybe this is one of them. I don't have a ton of experience, but based on a few transactions I'd say that the dealers who claim to be "no haggle" still haggle a little bit, just not as much.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I wouldn’t roll $6,000 in negative equity into the 2016 XC90 purchase if you are going to finance it because as soon as you drive the Volvo off the lot you will be even more upside down. A CPO Volvo is often the most expensive way to purchase a used Volvo. I’m not saying CPAo is a bad deal, but after a year of owning it, if you have problems with it and want to move on you will be even more upside down on it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
They're pretty good after the software tweaks, spark plug campaigns. CPO will give that peace of mind.

You'll have a hard time rolling negative equity into the loan so hope you have a bunch of cash down.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
One thing to be aware of is that the MY2016 has 1 USB port inside the center console, and may not be fully capable of both android auto and apple car play (it may be only 1 of them).

I do prefer how the ignition switch turns opposite directions for start and stop; newer SPA xc90 (MY2018 onwards?) turns clockwise for both start and stop; this is farther from the paradigm of turning the ignition key.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
One thing to be aware of is that the MY2016 has 1 USB port inside the center console, and may not be fully capable of both android auto and apple car play (it may be only 1 of them).

I do prefer how the ignition switch turns opposite directions for start and stop; newer SPA xc90 (MY2018 onwards?) turns clockwise for both start and stop; this is farther from the paradigm of turning the ignition key.

There's a retrofit for the two USBs and AA I believe, at least there is for 2017 without the Plus package.

I hate getting into 2016-17 models with the opposite off/on, maybe I'm just used to driving the new stuff.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chowdarygm -- IMHO best way to "negotiate" is not to negotiate. Decide how much you're willing to pay (like others have suggested, use cars.com and autotrader.com to find comps, but remember those are asking prices not sold prices) ... then offer the dealer your price, and then walk away. Literally, walk out the door. You have nothing to lose by doing that. You might find that the salesman chases you down in the parking lot and accepts your offer, or calls you a day or two later and accepts. Or a week or two later. As long as you're sitting in the chair in the dealership, they know that you want the car and you're willing to pay more than you've offered. The only way to show them that you've reached your ultimate price, is to walk away. Until you walk, they think they can squeeze a bit more money out of your wallet. Remember, this isn't the only 2016 XC90 in the world. You don't need this exact car, today. Walk away, and keep looking. You may find another one that you like, at a better price -- or this dealer might call you back in a month and say "OK, come pick up your Volvo."

Of course, if you've done your homework and this particular car is priced right (and checks out mechanically), then by all means buy it. Just because the dealer won't budge on the price, doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad price. Many dealers are moving towards "no haggle" pricing, so maybe this is one of them. I don't have a ton of experience, but based on a few transactions I'd say that the dealers who claim to be "no haggle" still haggle a little bit, just not as much.
Thanks for the detailed post. yes, thats what I did and today they messaged in the morning on what I thought about it and said someone from a different state wants to put deposit on it but they would prefer selling it to me but after an hour, they came back and said it has been sold. So I guess it is gone though I see it still on their site as available after 2 hours (maybe it takes time to update). The only reason I liked this one is it has 20" wheels and HUD but as you right said, its not the only XC90 in the world.

Search is back on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn’t roll $6,000 in negative equity into the 2016 XC90 purchase if you are going to finance it because as soon as you drive the Volvo off the lot you will be even more upside down. A CPO Volvo is often the most expensive way to purchase a used Volvo. I’m not saying CPAo is a bad deal, but after a year of owning it, if you have problems with it and want to move on you will be even more upside down on it.
Ya, thats the main thing which kept me from signing the trade. Even if they could get it down to 5k, probably I might have signed but they were not ready to give anything near to that.

They offered to upgrade the system to make it compatible with AA and also upgrade to PA2 but said both will cost around $700 and would not give any discount on it. I read lot of posts here where people got PA2 upgrade for around $200 and AA upgrade for free from Volvo, this all made me feel that dealership is not being very interested in making a deal and juts playing around.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post. yes, thats what I did and today they messaged in the morning on what I thought about it and said someone from a different state wants to put deposit on it but they would prefer selling it to me but after an hour, they came back and said it has been sold. So I guess it is gone though I see it still on their site as available after 2 hours (maybe it takes time to update). The only reason I liked this one is it has 20" wheels and HUD but as you right said, its not the only XC90 in the world.

Search is back on.
Updating stock does take time, or they could be playing games. Either way, search around on autotrader and carguru. Shipping cost country is only around $600-800. So if you can find a very good deal, where shipping makes sense, go for it. Or fly and drive it back yourself if time allots. I shot for a CPO across country and am happy with the purchase. Old CPO program though. None the less, use auto trade and carguru to get dealers to compete against one another to achieve the best possible price.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Updating stock does take time, or they could be playing games. Either way, search around on autotrader and carguru. Shipping cost country is only around $600-800. So if you can find a very good deal, where shipping makes sense, go for it. Or fly and drive it back yourself if time allots. I shot for a CPO across country and am happy with the purchase. Old CPO program though. None the less, use auto trade and carguru to get dealers to compete against one another to achieve the best possible price.
You should let everyone know where you found cross-country shipping for 6 to 8 hundred bucks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is this at a Volvo Dealer? I'd ask they give you a complete service history. CarFax means very little. If it shows something great, but not showing anything means zilch. Many places do not report to CarFax. So getting a complete list of services would give you a piece of mind that at least the vehicle got proper TLC.

Also, carefully inspect the vehicle for any irregularities. Accidents are again not always reported. So don't rely on the dealer's "Good Word" it's spotless. Look yourself

If it's been sitting on the lot 3 months, then it clearly isn't competitively price. How much are they asking? Go on CarGurus and Autotrader. Pull some comparable prices and see how the one you want ranks against them.

Can always contact one of those dealers (do nationwide) and get them to give you a price. And then let the selling dealer know you're pricing around. See if that helps them budge.
Yes, its a volvo dealer and I looked around and the price is in the range of others.

shame volvo main site doesnt have one single repository of all dealers CPO cars availability or is there one which can search across all Volvo dealers for CPOs in one go?

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
You should let everyone know where you found cross-country shipping for 6 to 8 hundred bucks
I'll have to grab the paperwork out of my car. I had my car shipped 1500 miles for $625.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Yes, its a volvo dealer and I looked around and the price is in the range of others.

shame volvo main site doesnt have one single repository of all dealers CPO cars availability or is there one which can search across all Volvo dealers for CPOs in one go?
You can look on Volvo: https://cpo.volvocars.us/enus/vehicle-search

But it isn't all inclusive. Use Carguru and Autotrader and look around, too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can look on Volvo: https://cpo.volvocars.us/enus/vehicle-search

But it isn't all inclusive. Use Carguru and Autotrader and look around, too.
Thanks.

One more question, in many cars I have been searching, I can find some with convenience package but in some its written as Adaptive cruise with Pilot assist and in some just Adaptive cruise even though both listings have convenience package. Is pilot assist standard with convenience package or is it a special add on?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts