SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is looking at a MY2009 XC90 3.2 I6 engine with 31,000 miles -- has the add-on Motorola Bluetooth. It came off a 3 year lease and was based in Pennsylvania. It's black Safire exterior with dark leather interior, and has 3rd row seat.

It warrant expired in Mar 2013 and CarFax shows it's clean.

What other things should she be asking about before buying -- 31,000 mile tire wear (when would tire need replacing on average), 30,000 service check done or not, etc ?

Thanks... :)

P.S. Should she rather look at 2013 models and get the T6 engine along with $1000 loyalty bonus plus the 5 year free maintenance ?

She currently owns a MY2010 XC60 and it's just too small for her & family. She would trade in the fully loaded XC60.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
With 30K the tires have been replaced or need to be replaced. The XC90 is pretty rough on tires.
We purchased a used 2006 with 34K milkes and it was well into it's second set of tires at that
point. The dealer (a Honda dealer) had also replaced the brakes and rotors before selling.
It's a heavy vehicle so tires and brakes wear fast.

No T6 in 2013. I'd go with the 2009. Actually, I'd find a V8 since the milage penalty is not
the great compared to the 3.2. The XC90 has not changed much since 2009 and is due
for a replacement in the next year, or two. So the depriciation on the 2009 will be much less. I
also think XC90 make great used car value (we paid half the original sticker on ours; also off a three
year lease and about 35K miles but from a Honda dealer who puchased it at auction).

·
Registered
262 Posts
KRN is absolutely right about the 2009 vs. the 2013, additionally you get the benefit of black plastic/rubber bumper covers on the 2009 which are more practical than the 2013 body color bumper covers. Volvo's got a great CPO with program with a very good extended warranty, so you may wish to explore that option. At the very least make sure that you are paying significantly less for the non-CPO car

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
At the very least make sure that you are paying significantly less for the non-CPO car
To me $50 is significant money. How much is significantly less on a car? Is the difference between CPO and Non CPO $1500, $3,000 or $5,000?

·
Registered
262 Posts
To me $50 is significant money. How much is significantly less on a car? Is the difference between CPO and Non CPO $1500, $3,000 or $5,000?
When I was looking at 2008 3.2s late last year the range (excluding outliers) on a CPO car with under 50k miles on the East Coast between CT & NC was $23k-$26k. The non-CPO range on the "same" vehicle was $22k-$25k. There was lots of overlap, but I bought a CPO in the NY metro area for $23.3k.

That was the market, the theoretical discount for a non-CPO car should be the cost of a thorough PPI ($250) plus the cost of a comparable warranty (guessing $2500), plus the cost of any wear & tear items or service to bring the non-CPO car up to CPO spec (assuming $250). So I would look for a roughly $3000 discount for a non-CPO car.

Right now, it looks like the going price for a low miles 2009 3.2 where I bought my car is about $25k-$27k for a CPO car, excluding outliers, so I'd probably not be willing to pay any more than $22k for a non-CPO. And those figures seem to be right in line with where I bought my 2008 7 months ago.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My daughter is looking at a MY2009 XC90 3.2 I6 engine with 31,000 miles -- has the add-on Motorola Bluetooth. It came off a 3 year lease and was based in Pennsylvania. It's black Safire exterior with dark leather interior, and has 3rd row seat.

It warrant expired in Mar 2013 and CarFax shows it's clean.

What other things should she be asking about before buying -- 31,000 mile tire wear (when would tire need replacing on average), 30,000 service check done or not, etc ?

Thanks... :)

P.S. Should she rather look at 2013 models and get the T6 engine along with $1000 loyalty bonus plus the 5 year free maintenance ?

She currently owns a MY2010 XC60 and it's just too small for her & family. She would trade in the fully loaded XC60.

I think she would love it, and she would be driving something better than I am now !! :)
Personally I would not consider a XC90 without AWD, here in centeral Tennessee we need it to get around in
bad weather, slippery driveways, and anywhere north of there you will need AWD.

best,

P

1 - 6 of 6 Posts