SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this is just the way it is but I'm wondering if there's a more "comfortable" tire for my new MY20 V60 CC.

It has the Cross Country Pro Package so the car came with the 19" wheels and Pirelli PZero tires. The vehicle is a lot of fun to drive and I like the handling but I seem to feel every crack in the road. There's also a slight reverberation after some nasty bumps. Part of my problem is I'm coming from a 2008 V70 with 16" wheels and a great deal of rubber, and also my wife's 2013 XC70 with it's 17" wheels and substantial amount of tire. Granted, these don't handle like the new V60 CC but they soak up a bit more of the road and I don't feel half the cracks. This is the first time I've owned a 19" wheel.

I don't plan on ditching the tires - I'll adjust - but I'm just wondering if there is another alternative out there that gives a little softer ride for that point in time when I get new tires. The UTQG of this tire is 500 A A, size is 235 45/R19 and it's designated 99V. Anyone have a similar experience with the MY20 V60 CC and these tires? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
There will be a lot of people that want the 19" wheel for the looks and sport driving but bought a car without that option. You may consider finding someone that has a car that would like to "swap" out tires and rims and you could move down to 18" wheels that may give you the ride you are more used to. Maybe your salesman is aware of a customer they sold a car to that wishes they could have the bigger tires. Sometimes Craigslist or even in the "tire and wheel" forum located here might be able to help you find the right person. Or you could sell the 19" and just buy 18". I just got 18" from a salvage yard for a set of snow tires on my car arriving in winter. As far as a different tire that is "softer"......I think any change in ride would be minimal and hard to discern. The diameter of the wheel has the most influence.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There will be a lot of people that want the 19" wheel for the looks and sport driving but bought a car without that option. You may consider finding someone that has a car that would like to "swap" out tires and rims and you could move down to 18" wheels that may give you the ride you are more used to. Maybe your salesman is aware of a customer they sold a car to that wishes they could have the bigger tires. Sometimes Craigslist or even in the "tire and wheel" forum located here might be able to help you find the right person. Or you could sell the 19" and just buy 18". I just got 18" from a salvage yard for a set of snow tires on my car arriving in winter. As far as a different tire that is "softer"......I think any change in ride would be minimal and hard to discern. The diameter of the wheel has the most influence.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not surprised to hear that it's more about the wheel diameter than the type of tire or composition of the rubber. I completely agree that the 19" wheels look great on the car. I do want to give the vehicle a fair chance - it's not awful - but those are good suggestions about talking to the dealer as well as those other options. I'll give it some more time and see how I feel. - Stu

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd disagree 19 vs 18 here is that great. 45 vs 40 series, same width tire 12mm sidewall difference, not sure if that's worth a new set of wheels. My "max perf" summer tires feel like rocks ha. Stiff sidewall for performance. I'd think you could be possibly better served by calling up tire rack, and ask the them. If you are going to run one set of tires perhaps there is a 19" with a nice ride compromise that works for you. Availability in sizes may matter there too.

Some of it is just going to be suspension tuning, and Volvos seem firm and taut, not creamy soft ride.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Best bet is to find a tire that has a softer/more flexy sidewall, maybe something in the way of a "grand touring all season" tire.

Tire Rack says that the 18's for the V60 CC are 215/55 compared to 235/45-19.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know this sounds obvious but I would start with the tire pressure. How much air is in them and maybe lower them by 2 to 3 psi to start. If that doesn't work, I would go to the 18" inch wheel option. Also look at Tire Rack for reviews for which tires ride better than the others in the same size. I had a GTI that rode very hard, the recommended tire pressure was 38, and put 35 in for the whole time I had the car, no negative issues, and it definitely rode better. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best bet is to find a tire that has a softer/more flexy sidewall, maybe something in the way of a "grand touring all season" tire.

I've spent a lot of time on Tire Rack and there aren't a whole lot of offerings for the 19" wheel so my options are limited. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this sounds obvious but I would start with the tire pressure. How much air is in them and maybe lower them by 2 to 3 psi to start. If that doesn't work, I would go to the 18" inch wheel option. Also look at Tire Rack for reviews for which tires ride better than the others in the same size. I had a GTI that rode very hard, the recommended tire pressure was 38, and put 35 in for the whole time I had the car, no negative issues, and it definitely rode better. Good luck!
Hi Mick - that was one of the first things I considered (my old V70 had pressure of 36) and it was warm days so the pressure could have been up a little. I wanted to give the vehicle a fair chance though and I'm actually get used to it. It's only when I switch to my wife's XC70 that has 17" rims and a softer ride that I mostly notice the difference. I DO like the look of the 19" rims and it will be interesting to see how it handles in the snow.

·
Registered
27 Posts

My S60 with 18" wheels take a 235-45-18 tire....Tire Rack likes the Vredestein Quadtrac Pro tire in both 18" & 19" for ride & noise. Handling is apparently excellent for an all-season tire as well. They will be my go-to when the OEM Contis wear out

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My S60 with 18" wheels take a 235-45-18 tire....Tire Rack likes the Vredestein Quadtrac Pro tire in both 18" & 19" for ride & noise. Handling is apparently excellent for an all-season tire as well. They will be my go-to when the OEM Contis wear out
Thanks fastexas - I did see that recommendation of the Vredestein and filed it in the back of my mind. I'm not putting the miles on like I used to so I'm sure it will be a few years until the OEM's wear out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Coming from a 2017 VW Golf R with 35 profile tires and lowered on Bilstein coilovers, the V60 CC riding on OEM 19" wheels feels like a pillow ride. I guess it's all relative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts