SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On behalf of all of us who want to improve the production process, to enhance our value, satisfaction and investment in Volvo cars worldwide and the success of Volvo and its employees, here is a constructive list of known production issues. Volvo has had a couple of bumps in the road, but has been doing an impressive job with the vast majority of production vehicles.

Thread on missing features: See http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ions-and-Experiences&highlight=Software+issue.

Thread on requested future features: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-next-model-year-XC90&highlight=Features+xc90

Thread on software issues: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230762-A-Collection-Of-Issues&highlight=Software+issues

Thread on Delivery Checklist: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?233498-Delivery-Checklist&highlight=checklist

Reported production issues for MY16 XC90:
Factory recalls - Resolved
1. Seat electrical connection - fixed with recall #1 (FE)
2. 3rd row passenger trim issue - fixed with recall #2

Isolated cases - Resolved
1. Rattle in the front driver door - less than ten reported cases - reportedly fixed
2. Squeaky brakes - one reported issue - reported pending TSB fix
3. Leaky sunroof - five reported cases - fixed improperly installed drain/replace seal; and reportedly fixed by dealer
4. Airbag fault (SRS module or software-related) - five reported cases- reportedly fixed (with VCM software update; recent version of software with error had limited distribution)
5. Water-stained sunroof curtain - one reported case - reportedly being fixed
6. Stuck gear selector - one reported case - reportedly fixed (with replacement of module)

Isolated cases - Open
1. Radio Turns On (software-related) - FE issue - one reported case (software)
2. Start battery drainage/dead (software-related) - less than ten reported cases (software)
3. Second row seat hard to adjust and can fling backwards - two reported cases (adjustment and/or technique)
4. Parking brake fault / engine does not start - two reported cases (disconnect battery cable and reconnect as temporary fix)
5. Audio/electrical - one reported case
6. Inconsistent touch-free tailgate opening - two reported cases (software, sensor and/or user)
7. Unable to complete software download/update using Volvo ID - less than 10 cases (s/b resolved w/ 11/23 update)
8. Sunroof rattle - one reported case - adjustment needed
9. Instrument panel - two reported case - one reportedly replaced

Several posters have requested new customer preference / default settings in the software (e.g., driver profiles). The November 2015 software update is expected to address many of the software bugs and it may also include some of the customer preferences. The mega November 2015 software update is scheduled to be released for installation on Monday, November 23, 2015.

Please add to the list as necessary and update as resolutions occur. This can help to quantify the number of known issues and avoid some of the more subjective or trolling-like generalizations. I update the list and status based on info below.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2nd row seats are not easy to return back to their normal position (get stuck) after moving forward to access the 3rd row. There has already been 2 threads discussing this concern.

On a separate note, maybe we can start a thread to summarize (and others could add any additional items) the software issues with MY16 (or is there already an existing thread for this?).

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2nd row seats are not easy to return back to their normal position (get stuck) after moving forward to access the 3rd row. There has already been 2 threads discussing this concern.

On a separate note, maybe we can start a thread to summarize (and others could add any additional items) the software issues with MY16 (or is there already an existing thread for this?).
Thanks! I added your issue and I also added the previous links including one that started as a list of software issues to the original thread. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230762-A-Collection-Of-Issues&highlight=Software+issues

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thank you for compiling data into one thread. Hopefully we experience a handful of issues and no more. I think this vehicle is a make or break moment for Volvo to be a viable contender in the luxury segment and if it falls short of amazing it will really be difficult for a second chance.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I think Volvo is doing a hell of a job keeping customers satisfied with their new Xc90. They seem to be paying close attention to customers' complaints and to the comments made on this forum and striving to quickly solve the problems... Really like the new management in how they value customer satisfaction, I am pretty confident this will pay dividends in changing the brand image in the mid-to-long term.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Volvo is doing a hell of a job keeping customers satisfied with their new Xc90. They seem to be paying close attention to customers' complaints and to the comments made on this forum and striving to quickly solve the problems... Really like the new management in how they value customer satisfaction, I am pretty confident this will pay dividends in changing the brand image in the mid-to-long term.
+1

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think the first half of your statement is certainly true. The second half remains to be seen. I'm not being cynical, just accurate. They are monitoring these forums and have provided some feedback. So far they have not "quickly solve[d] the problems." We can all hope they get a lot of them addressed in the November update and that would be terrific. But until we see if they do, that's speculative. My car is literally up to dozens of unique software and/or electronics glitches. So far I accumulate them but none are getting checked off the list. I remain patient for November.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, our problem came back again. I had posted 2 weeks ago that our Parking Break Malfunction notification came on. The car wouldn't start. I had to disconnect the negative cable off of the primary battery in order to reboot the computers so the car would start. We brought it into the dealer, they installed new software. The issue happened again today so since I had already shown my wife how to disconnect the cable, AND I left the wrench in the vehicle, she was not left stranded. Volvo better figure this out because right now, we don't have confidence in this vehicle.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Well, our problem came back again. I had posted 2 weeks ago that our Parking Break Malfunction notification came on. The car wouldn't start. I had to disconnect the negative cable off of the primary battery in order to reboot the computers so the car would start. We brought it into the dealer, they installed new software. The issue happened again today so since I had already shown my wife how to disconnect the cable, AND I left the wrench in the vehicle, she was not left stranded. Volvo better figure this out because right now, we don't have confidence in this vehicle.
I'm afraid this might become a common sentiment among first year owners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm afraid this might become a common sentiment among first year owners.

Yeah, its unfortunate because we LOVE this car. Our dealer's lackadaisical attitude toward the issue also is disturbing. I am going to try to call Volvo NA tomorrow and see if I can get additional support. I am also considering switching my service to another Volvo dealer. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out by process of elimination of what could be causing this issue so I am going as far as to tell my wife to NOT use start/stop features any longer. Drive in Dynamic or Individual mode where we shut off start/stop because I am theorizing that there may be a possibility that eventhough she comes to a stop, and shuts the car off, maybe it really doesn't power off so when she opens the driver door, maybe the parking break sets. Now when she comes back to start it, it thinks its already running or something. I don't know. Or its very easy and maybe the module that just controls the parking break is faulty. Who knows. Without error codes stored, I don't even know how Volvo tries to solve other than start at the first sign of the problem which is the Parking Break Malfunction error. There MUST be an event tree or something that says or describes all of the possible situations that could throw that error code. Frustrating. Again, I can get over small glitches and stupid stuff, but when you are left STRANDED that is a different story and it elevates the issue to another level. Carry your battery terminal wrenches people...you've been warned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My xc90 in for most issues outlined. Plus the seal around my sunroof came loose. They can't figure out how to repair. May have to replace the whole glass piece. I had a feeling I may regret buying a 1st edition model. ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I do not agree with your statement. So far my FE has never just stopped but there are regular continuing software issues and a few actually dangerous software problems where both screens went blank. My dealer tells me that they find the "engineers" in Sweden unresponsive to the customer issues they report. I don't think it has anything to do with the MY but rather with an aloof attitude in Sweden. It's certainly the wrong approach and a potentially deadly problem that has to be reversed. The reported problems I saw from my high volume long time Volvo dealer is enough to send alarm bells off.

Things are actually better with the dealers and reps I have worked with in the United States. However, they are not in a position to overcome the hubris at the Swedish headquarters personnel, who seem not to realize that the XC90 is driven by actual people, capable people. It is time for a shake up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also had rattle in front driver door on a XC90 First Edition. First thought it was a blown speaker of sorts, but turned out to be resonance when playing songs with a certain amount of bass (not too loud though, just the right pitch). Was repaired by adding a couple of smaller paddings on the inside (invisible), and it was gone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Also had rattle in front driver door on a XC90 First Edition. First thought it was a blown speaker of sorts, but turned out to be resonance when playing songs with a certain amount of bass (not too loud though, just the right pitch). Was repaired by adding a couple of smaller paddings on the inside (invisible), and it was gone.
Was this a personal repair or did you bring it to the shop for a fix?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have the same annoying vibration; They have added foam two different times and it still happens.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I never will forget a thread on a Volvo forum that asked 2nd gen XC70 owners what problems they had had. There were 22 repairs offered to vote on, and you could vote on 1, or all 22 problems. The interesting thing was that the supposed worse problems on the XC70, the engine mounts and the ABS system, only affected 10 or 11% of the voters, respectively. And since I had had only very minor problems with my Volvos, I didn't vote. So the people who were voting were probably the most ticked-off, and represented a small minority of XC70 owners in the first place. The same here on this forum. How many posters have had these problems? 20? 30? 40? Probably very small in number, but with lots of posts. I'm not trying to minimize the problems Okie and Timtong are having--I would be frustrated too--my wife would be furious. But I think the the problems on the new XC90 affect a small minority.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I never will forget a thread on a Volvo forum that asked 2nd gen XC70 owners what problems they had had. There were 22 repairs offered to vote on, and you could vote on 1, or all 22 problems. The interesting thing was that the supposed worse problems on the XC70, the engine mounts and the ABS system, only affected 10 or 11% of the voters, respectively. And since I had had only very minor problems with my Volvos, I didn't vote. So the people who were voting were probably the most ticked-off, and represented a small minority of XC70 owners in the first place. The same here on this forum. How many posters have had these problems? 20? 30? 40? Probably very small in number, but with lots of posts. I'm not trying to minimize the problems Okie and Timtong are having--I would be frustrated too--my wife would be furious. But I think the the problems on the new XC90 affect a small minority.
Remember also that there are probably a lot of Volvo owners that have these problems, but they never post them on the forums. They just take their Volvo to the dealer to have them fixed, especially when under warranty.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts