·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is only applicable to the S80L or the whole range. :confused:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When those pictures came out (they've been around for a bit) it was said that they were only for the S80L in China. I don't know if that still holds true. The minor facelift doesn't seem plausible only because the timing is off. It's Volvo we're talking about so who knows what they're doing with product cycles but a facelift probably was due in 2011. I would expect a little more than what's presented above.

This is the same company that's been sitting on the XC90 for nearly 10 years and is canceling vehicles left and right so it's anyones guess what is going to happen.

It's worth noting however that this supposed China only design hasn't actually be released in China. The regular S80L is still up on their site. I find it odd that these pictures are fairly old and the car looks ready for sale yet it hasn't appeared anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
This is the same company that's been sitting on the XC90 for nearly 10 years and is canceling vehicles left and right so it's anyones guess what is going to happen.
I know it is the Internet but I take exception to your comment. Do you think that we, at Volvo, prefer to sit on current model cars while the competition is moving ahead? I can bet you ANY amount of money that if you randomly speak to ANY Volvo employee as to when they would have liked to have had an XC90 replacement, that the answer would be "3 years ago". Unfortunately, the previous owner did not place emphasis on the XC90 replacement and you cannot just snap your fingers and create a brand new car from scratch. So, nobody has been "sitting on the XC90 for 10 years", ever since it first came out, I can assure you (and anyone who cares) of that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Real or not but I like the nose. Gives a little more edge, a bit a boxy feeling...

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Real or not but I like the nose. Gives a little more edge, a bit a boxy feeling...
Indeed. Plus, it makes the car look wider, more muscular.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I know it is the Internet but I take exception to your comment. Do you think that we, at Volvo, prefer to sit on current model cars while the competition is moving ahead? I can bet you ANY amount of money that if you randomly speak to ANY Volvo employee as to when they would have liked to have had an XC90 replacement, that the answer would be "3 years ago". Unfortunately, the previous owner did not place emphasis on the XC90 replacement and you cannot just snap your fingers and create a brand new car from scratch. So, nobody has been "sitting on the XC90 for 10 years", ever since it first came out, I can assure you (and anyone who cares) of that.
Regardless of what Volvo has actually been doing that's how it looks to most consumers. They didn't necessarily need to create a brand new car from scratch. Facelifts do a lot to refresh a car midcycle and they've done very little to change the XC90 inside or out. Three years ago they could have redesigned the front/rear and updated the interior which is a far less costly endeavor than creating a new vehicle. The average consumer doesn't see any changes between the 2013 model and the 2003 model. Most people don't even notice the new emblem.

So yes, they've been sitting on the XC90 for 10 years. Arguments of corporate successorship don't work either because in the eyes of consumers (and also the law but that's irrelevant) this is the same Volvo now that originally started selling the XC90. Please don't take this as a personal attack but your comment is exactly what's wrong with Volvo. With the canceled models and lack of updates people are wondering what the heck is happening and Volvo's response is always "we're working on it" or "this is far more difficult than you understand" yet the average consumer isn't seeing results. In fact, they're seeing things like the V40 get announced and pushed all over Volvo's Facebook page yet realizing that Volvo isn't even going to sell it here. The customers don't care about excuses, especially when there are tons of other car companies out there to choose from.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
And by writing that, "three years ago Volvo could have refreshed the XC90"' you have missed the important point that I made above in that the previous owner did not have any plans for a future XC90. Three years ago, Volvo was still owned by that company...

I totally understand how it looks to many consumers but it is a case where, until the new product cycle is released to the public by the appropriate people, we may have to work through it.

And, by the way, today's Volvo is not the same as the company tha launched the XC90, back in 2002.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion but your comments above are fed by emotion (which is totally understandable from a Volvo enthusiast's point of view) and not taking account economic realities. We will be having totally different exchanges in 2013. :cool:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
And, by the way, today's Volvo is not the same as the company tha launched the XC90, back in 2002.
It is. Volvo still has liability (in a legal sense) for models that were produced under Ford. Just because Ford sold Volvo doesn't mean they're a different company. If someone had merely purchased the naming rights then maybe it would be different but for all purposes they're the same company, especially from the consumer perspective. This is why I can say that Volvo has been sitting on the XC90 for far too long. Regardless of who the previous owner was it's still "Volvo" we're talking about. These are still nothing but excuses being offered to people who are starting to care less and less. I think it's hilarious to talk about economic realities because the only people that care about economic realities are board members and shareholders. Consumers are indifferent to that information and will simply leave if they don't see a product they want.

Honestly, my comments aren't fed by emotion. I have no interests in SUVs (with the rare exception) and my next car will not be a Volvo because I plan to move upmarket. I'm not an XC90 owner who is frustrated and wants a new vehicle. Volvo doesn't produce what I'm looking for in my next vehicle and I honestly don't expect them to. I'm also someone who has been very satisfied with their S80 and doesn't view it as outdated (though it does have its flaws).

·
Registered
985 Posts
I might be in the minority here but I still love the looks of the S80. It does need a refresh but having driven both the S60 and S80 I find the S80 to be much nicer on the inside and with a timeless exterior.

Here is what I'd do for 2014. Refresh the front and back and slightly lower the sides - perhaps with some color matching side-stills. I'd give it a sportier 3-spoke steering wheel and the new shifter found in the 2013 S60's. And being the flagship model, I'd make the T6-trim standard with the polestar tune (325HP, 355 ft lbs). Keep pricing where it is currently and I think the S80 would solider on well until 2015/2016 when I'd roll out an all new model. I think 8 years with 2 re-freashes is going to be the industry norm.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Lowering the sides is a really good suggestion that never occurred to me.

I really like my S80 from many angles but I've started parking in a different spot at work and noticed that when I'm walking toward the car with a front quarter view something looks off to me. There's something about the shape of the hood combined with the roof line that looks a little too "bubble". It's like the hood is too short or sloped. Combined with the roof it sort of looks odd to me. I just started noticing it though and it could have something to do with where it's parked. Front, side, rear three quarter and rear are all still good to me. A refresh of the front would probably work well. I would just hope that they don't try to adapt the headlights from the C30/C70/S60 onto the S80. They look as though they're sloping down a bit and I think that would make the front worse.

For the rear a full LED treatment would be nice. I still love the tail lights and think they look great but the brake and signal lights should be LED as well. I'd also like to see OEM LED license plate lights since the OEM versions tend to look pretty good on cars (and far better than many aftermarket versions).

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would just hope that they don't try to adapt the headlights from the C30/C70/S60 onto the S80. They look as though they're sloping down a bit and I think that would make the front worse.

For the rear a full LED treatment would be nice. I still love the tail lights and think they look great but the brake and signal lights should be LED as well. I'd also like to see OEM LED license plate lights since the OEM versions tend to look pretty good on cars (and far better than many aftermarket versions).
Agree on the lights. I'm NOT impressed with the new front light treatment. One of the reasons we passed on the S60 and decided to grab an S80 before Volvo messed up a very classy look. It seems to me that Volvo styling is looking less European with new models.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Agree on the lights. I'm NOT impressed with the new front light treatment. One of the reasons we passed on the S60 and decided to grab an S80 before Volvo messed up a very classy look. It seems to me that Volvo styling is looking less European with new models.
+1,000

1 - 13 of 13 Posts