SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my T5 for about 3 years now. I bought it secondhand and it’s factory warranty expired just 3 months ago. When I bought the car it had 18K miles and it had been a lease car.

So far, I’ve had numerous suspension problems – there were knocking noises at around 25K and the dealer fixed it all with no cost. Parts were changed on both wheels. Then at around 40K, the front started having knocking problems too - when I’d make a turn and go over a bump it was most noticeable. I know they changed CV joints/arms and power steering pump. Then at 45K the rear noise started again. They replaced CV arms and something shocks related (I don’t remember) also the CV boots.

Now I found out that my front CV boot is broken and leaking grease all over the wheel. The dealer is asking about $400 to replace it as the car is not under warranty anymore.

I drive about 6 miles to work every day in perfect roads. The biggest suspension challenge my car has to overcome on a daily basis is the curb on my driveway. Is that a reason for all the suspension problems?
Note, I had a 2002 S40 with over 100K miles and I didn’t have nowhere near the same number and magnitude of problems

So at barely 50K miles, and so many suspension related problems and repairs, I wonder, is it worth keeping the car any longer? Worth putting money in it for maintenance and so on?

Comments/thoughts much appreciated.

npn

·
Registered
265 Posts
I’ve had my T5 for about 3 years now. I bought it secondhand and it’s factory warranty expired just 3 months ago. When I bought the car it had 18K miles and it had been a lease car.

So far, I’ve had numerous suspension problems – there were knocking noises at around 25K and the dealer fixed it all with no cost. Parts were changed on both wheels. Then at around 40K, the front started having knocking problems too - when I’d make a turn and go over a bump it was most noticeable. I know they changed CV joints/arms and power steering pump. Then at 45K the rear noise started again. They replaced CV arms and something shocks related (I don’t remember) also the CV boots.

Now I found out that my front CV boot is broken and leaking grease all over the wheel. The dealer is asking about $400 to replace it as the car is not under warranty anymore.

I drive about 6 miles to work every day in perfect roads. The biggest suspension challenge my car has to overcome on a daily basis is the curb on my driveway. Is that a reason for all the suspension problems?
Note, I had a 2002 S40 with over 100K miles and I didn’t have nowhere near the same number and magnitude of problems

So at barely 50K miles, and so many suspension related problems and repairs, I wonder, is it worth keeping the car any longer? Worth putting money in it for maintenance and so on?

Comments/thoughts much appreciated.

npn

Tough call.. Right now the Volvo brand is really hurting. The main question is - will this CV joint repair fix the issue for you? Is there other things about the car that you dislike?

400$ isn't really a huge deal, but one should not to really expect to be replacing parts like that for another 50k miles..

If this helps, my Volvo will be long gone before the warranty expires. I don't have faith they will last based on my issues.

B

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks B!

I also have to consider the fact that I just changed my rear breaks ($300), bought new winter tires + wheels ($1000) and have invested in other small cosmetic items such as rear and side OEM curtains.

npn

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks B!

I also have to consider the fact that I just changed my rear breaks ($300), bought new winter tires + wheels ($1000) and have invested in other small cosmetic items such as read and side OEM curtains.

npn
Yeah that's a lot of $$.. Factor all of that in.. But.. Will those tires/wheels fit on another vehicle? and Breaks are pretty much normal. Tough call..

Good luck man.

B

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
All that suspension work and frequent change of CV joints and boots is very unusual. I never had to change a CV joint or boot on a car before 100K.
Mine now has about 43,700 miles and not a single suspension problem. I don't expect it to give me other problems anytime soon either.
I personally would sell the car if I suspect it will be a headache and/or money pit.
You can always either reuse the wheels/tires or sell them.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Volvo is definitely offering some insane deals on any leftover 2015.5's; I think I saw the dealer by me was offering 0% for 75months plus incentives. If you are afraid to be out of warranty and the car is making you on-easy than I say move on to other model. The amount of issues you are having were not an issue on either of my previous 2012 and 2013 S60's, but the dealer did do some Tech Note fixes to the suspension for some noises, but they never repeated like yours.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
>>Now I found out that my front CV boot is broken and leaking grease all over the wheel. The dealer is asking about $400 to
>>replace it as the car is not under warranty anymore.

Is that the same one replaced at 40K? I would think that should be covered under warranty for the
earlier repairs. There is a TSB for leaking grease at the front if a clamp is not tight enough (most
boots crack and leak from cracks after many miles, a leak at a clamp is more of a manufacturing
issue).

Also, Volvo now guarantees all repairs for life:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015/07/volvo-offering-lifetime-warranty-on-repairs/

which should offer some additional confidence for keeping it.

More of the TSB:

TITLE: Grease leaking from outside drive shaft bellows (boots)

REF NO: TJ 26943

ISSUING DEPARTMENT: Technical Service

CAR MARKET: United States and Canada

PARTNER: 3 US 7510 Volvo Cars North America
ISSUE DATE:

YEAR MONTH DAY
2013 12 11

FUNC GROUP: 4661

FUND DESC: Drive Shaft

"Right first time in Time"

Attachment

Vehicle Type

CSC Customer Symptom Codes

DTC Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Rows beginning with * are modified
Note!
If using a printed copy of this Technical Journal, first check for the latest online version.

Text
Note!
If using a printed copy of this Technical Journal, first check for the latest online version.

NOTE!
THIS DOCUMENT SUPERSEDES THE PREVIOUS TECHNICAL JOURNAL 26943 DATED 2013-03-19. New info under SERVICE. New attachment. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR FILES.

DESCRIPTION:

The outer front drive shaft bellow (boot) may leak grease out on the rim. This can happen to either or both, left and right, sides. Sometimes, a noise may occur during parking.

MATERIAL RETURN:

Material for analysis can be requested in Vehicle Report. In other cases, follow normal routines.

VEHICLE REPORT:

Yes, please submit a Vehicle Report if the service solution described in this TJ has no effect. Use concern area "Vehicle Report" and sub concern area "Support Needed", use function group 4661.

SERVICE:

Replace only the leaking driveshaft bellow (boot).
* Note.
To avoid repeat repair its crucial to get the correct clamp force. In the attachment, you can see a photo of the outer clamp. The target is maximum 4.5 mm of rest distance between the arrows. (Could be measured with a 4.5 mm drill). The clamp may need to be crimped more than once to reach this target.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Volvo is definitely offering some insane deals on any leftover 2015.5's; I think I saw the dealer by me was offering 0% for 75months plus incentives. If you are afraid to be out of warranty and the car is making you on-easy than I say move on to other model. The amount of issues you are having were not an issue on either of my previous 2012 and 2013 S60's, but the dealer did do some Tech Note fixes to the suspension for some noises, but they never repeated like yours.
Exactly. I had none of these problems on my S40 with 100K+ miles.

Now, to be fair, I did install 19" wheels and put summer tires just a few months ago which made ride a bit stiffer. Could that be the problem?

I described my "project" here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-XC90-to-S60&p=2491903&viewfull=1#post2491903

PureDrive07, btw thanks for answering my other thread question too.

npn

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>>Now I found out that my front CV boot is broken and leaking grease all over the wheel. The dealer is asking about $400 to
>>replace it as the car is not under warranty anymore.

Is that the same one replaced at 40K? I would think that should be covered under warranty for the
earlier repairs. There is a TSB for leaking grease at the front if a clamp is not tight enough (most
boots crack and leak from cracks after many miles, a leak at a clamp is more of a manufacturing
issue).

Thank you Sir, I'll take this to my dealer.

I can't tell if it's the same problem or not, but they told me that the previous job parts had only 90 days warranty and it has been about 7 months now.

npn

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Exactly. I had none of these problems on my S40 with 100K+ miles.

Now, to be fair, I did install 19" wheels and put summer tires just a few months ago which made ride a bit stiffer. Could that be the problem?

I described my "project" here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-XC90-to-S60&p=2491903&viewfull=1#post2491903

PureDrive07, btw thanks for answering my other thread question too.

npn
Technically Volvo does not recommend 19" wheels for Touring/Dynamic Chassis equipped vehicles. The only models that should have 19" wheels according to Volvo are models equipped with the Lowered Sport Chassis or R-Design models; given that you have a 2012, Lowered Sport Chassis was not available for the T5 models and come standard on R-Design models. Could this have contributed to your issue, maybe or maybe not.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Thank you Sir, I'll take this to my dealer.

I can't tell if it's the same problem or not, but they told me that the previous job parts had only 90 days warranty and it has been about 7 months now.

npn
Doesn't Volvo now offer Lifetime warranty on all Parts/Service done on vehicles at the dealer? I know they started doing that but it could have been after you already had the work completed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Technically Volvo does not recommend 19" wheels for Touring/Dynamic Chassis equipped vehicles. The only models that should have 19" wheels according to Volvo are models equipped with the Lowered Sport Chassis or R-Design models; given that you have a 2012, Lowered Sport Chassis was not available for the T5 models and come standard on R-Design models. Could this have contributed to your issue, maybe or maybe not.
Correction: I installed 18" wheels. (19 was a typo) I am more inclined to think it wasn't the issues, again, given my own experience with other cars.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You have to weigh the potential problems against your satisfaction with the car and desire to avoid the expense of replacing it.

You're putting a bit less than average mileage on this car [(50-18)/3=10,700 miles/year] so you're not immune to wear and tear just because you have a short commute (but you are lucky!). Even though the suspension problems definitely seem premature, the fact that you've already had them fixed under warranty means they should not be an ongoing problem. CV boots are pretty vulnerable and if you live in the snow belt in particular you have to keep an eye on them. If your brakes lasted 50k miles that's really good. Nothing makes me think you've got a lemon.

And, this car must be close to being paid off (depending on how you financed), so you should be able to continue driving it for many more years without too many problems and no car payment, as long as you like it and it meets your needs. If you're worried you could always buy a Volvo extended warranty.

If it was me, I'd compare the cost of buying a warranty and keeping it to trading it in on a newer CPO S60 or V60 (so you can keep your winter setup) and do whichever looked more attractive.

P.S - what are the "read and side OEM curtains" you mentioned?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what are the "read and side OEM curtains" you mentioned?
Typo (again) - it should read "rear and side Sun curtains". Photos here:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/[email protected]/16964670772/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/[email protected]/16778529740/

As far as the car being paid off, not really I owe about $10K and KBB prices it at around $13K. With my $2 of upgrades, it's even more difficult to decide. One thing though - if they do this repair for free I'll keep it.

But honestly, I want to stay away from Volvo. I drove MY2015 S60 T5 for over a week (while the dealer was fixing mine) and I wasn't happy - it felt less powerful and less masculine than mine.
Overall, did not get my attention or excitement, so I'm thinking maybe German for next?!

npn

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Typo (again) - it should read "rear and side Sun curtains". Photos here:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/[email protected]/16964670772/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/[email protected]/16778529740/

As far as the car being paid off, not really I owe about $10K and KBB prices it at around $13K. With my $2 of upgrades, it's even more difficult to decide. One thing though - if they do this repair for free I'll keep it.

But honestly, I want to stay away from Volvo. I drove MY2015 S60 T5 for over a week (while the dealer was fixing mine) and I wasn't happy - it felt less powerful and less masculine than mine.
Overall, did not get my attention or excitement, so I'm thinking maybe German for next?!

npn
That is because you test drove a T5 Drive-E 4cyl motor, though technically a quicker, more fuel efficient than the T5 5cyl motor...it lacks that muscular sound the 5cyl produced. You can however still pick up 2015.5 S60 T5 AWD that have the 5cyl motor. If you need FWD than I would say try the T6 Drive-E motor, I was shockingly surprised how quick that car is...302hp on front wheels though is not for everyone, lol!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is because you test drove a T5 Drive-E 4cyl motor, though technically a quicker, more fuel efficient than the T5 5cyl motor...it lacks that muscular sound the 5cyl produced.
You're exactly right.

Another question (as part of my "worth it" evaluation): Currently I get 21.5 mpg and that's again, putting about 6 miles a day round trip to work and on the weekends about 50 mostly highway. I'd say I drive equal amount of city and highway. Is 21 mpg normal?

I am almost positive that 1-2 years ago with the same driving style I was getting about 27 mpg. I'm already looking to replace the Air Filter, but what else could be contributing to the lower mpg if indeed abnormal?

n

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
You're exactly right.

Another question (as part of my "worth it" evaluation): Currently I get 21.5 mpg and that's again, putting about 6 miles a day round trip to work and on the weekends about 50 mostly highway. I'd say I drive equal amount of city and highway. Is 21 mpg normal?

I am almost positive that 1-2 years ago with the same driving style I was getting about 27 mpg. I'm already looking to replace the Air Filter, but what else could be contributing to the lower mpg if indeed abnormal?

n
That sounds about right due to your short commute and my wife had the same MPG's on her 2013 T5 AWD around the 21-23mpg because it was a short 4 miles to the train and back with maybe 25-30% Highway on the weekends. The highway definitely would net 28-30mpg fairly easy as long as there wasn't bad traffic; I live in Central/Northern NJ close to NYC so we see our fair share of crummy roads/traffic which have a negative affect on MPG's. My V60RD with the T6 AWD is even worse since I mainly only drive city and get anywhere from 17-21mpg with only doing maybe 10-15% highway driving (though highway driving is around 24-26mpg).

·
Registered
403 Posts
You're exactly right.

n
Check your average MPH. Averaging 14 MPH in mostly city driving, I only averaged 16-17 MPG. VCNA said that was "normal."

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
OP, check your Warranty and Maintenance Manual for warranty on the current parts.

Mine says all parts are warrantied one year (in my 2011 version) if you paid for them.
That would be the case for out of warranty repairs. (And they changed that recently from
one year to lifetime.)

Parts replaced free of charge under the car's warranty are covered 90 days or until the
original warranty runs out, whichever is greater (sounds like your case and that is what
the dealer is saying).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This last problem is really related to the boots - outer and inner. The TSB above doesn't apply. I spend about an hour with the dealer talking about this. They said that the outer boot seemed like melted, as if someone tried melting it with a torch or something. Then they need to change the inner boot too as they go in pairs, and there we go, now the repair cost is $550.

I'll definitely keep in mind this new warranty thing next time. They way I understand it though, it only applies for parts that you paid post warranty, NOT for parts replaced during the warranty. It also doesn't cover labor. All in all, just a gimmick to keep Volvo alive as indeed under the Chinese ownership, the name and the quality has gone down BIG time.

n

1 - 20 of 53 Posts