SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello XC60 owners,

Recently I notice that there is higher engine rpm right after starting the car. It is around 1300-1500 rpm
during the first 8-10 seconds or so. Then, it would return to the "normal" (i.e. what I expected) idle rpm below 1000 (probably around 600). This high rpm is seen before the A/C is turned on by the auto climate.

Is it normal for the engine to have the above 1000 rpm during the first 8-10 seconds right after starting the car? Just wanna to make sure.

Mine is a MY12 3.2 XC60.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yes, that is the "fast warmup". Reduces emissions. I don't put it in drive until it drops
under 1000 RPM. From the S60 manual:

After a cold start, idle speed may be noticeably higher than normal for a
short period. This is done to help bring components in the emission control
system to their normal operating temperature as quickly as possible, which
enables them to control emissions and help reduce the vehicle's impact on the
environment.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
If you shift into neutral it will calm down immediately in P2 Volvo cars, so I usually shift to N, pause, and then go to D or R if I'm in a rush. I'm curious if this works on Y20 Volvo cars.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If you shift into neutral it will calm down immediately in P2 Volvo cars, so I usually shift to N, pause, and then go to D or R if I'm in a rush. I'm curious if this works on Y20 Volvo cars.
Absolutely do not do that. It adds more stress to the transmission mechanics. The initial high RPM is programmed for a reason.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
So the high RPM is expected???? Is it documented?
Yep. Page 113 in 2012 XC60 manual. I quoted it in the second post, above. Just let it
run for the few seconds until it drops under 1000 RPM and then you are good to go.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
Yes, that is the "fast warmup". Reduces emissions. I don't put it in drive until it drops
under 1000 RPM.
My 2007 V70 2.5T does the same thing; it idles at 1500 rpm for a few seconds after it starts. Then, it reduces speed. I agree wholeheartedly about not putting it in drive until the revs drop. MUCH easier on the transmission.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
My S60R idles close to 2000 RPM for a few seconds on a cold start. Of course being an MT I can still get going right away without stressing anything too much. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. Page 113 in 2012 XC60 manual. I quoted it in the second post, above. Just let it
run for the few seconds until it drops under 1000 RPM and then you are good to go.
Thank you very much. Problem solved!
I thought I have read the whole manual but yet I missed this one... Hahaha.

This forum is very helpful!! Thanks everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts