SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery last week. Many thanks to the helpful threads on this forum, with the exception of a few trolls, its a great forum.

Options ordered
  • Vision
  • Climate
  • Black Headliner

Quick Review

The Drive 8/10
The driving dynamics of this vehicle are impressive considering its size. The power delivery is good, the suspension is stiff, and the steering is impressive for a car of this size. The X5 handles a little better, but its a much smaller car too.

The Interior 10/10
The seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, and the interior touches are really sophisticated. The softness of that nappa leather is unreal and the design elements of the cabin are high end yet understated. The size of this car with the 3rd row makes it more practical than the X5 we were initially considering. We took a quick look at the Q7, but were unimpressed.

Technology 8/10

The tech in this car is what got me to consider a Volvo, before this car the brand wasn't even on our radar. The sensus interface is easy to use, and overall I'm actually impressed with the NAV and Phone functions. The base sound system is great too. There are things that need improvement. The voice recognition sucks, I've had better experiences in vehicles built over a decade ago. Carplay is great for Spotify, but other than that it's useless. If it's not a throw-in, I wouldn't bother. The Sensus phone and nav options are better.

Volvo Warranty and Dealers 5/10
I visited a few dealerships when shopping for this car, and this is going to be the brand's biggest problem. The dealerships are not at the level of a BMW or Mercedes, yet this car is grabbing customers from that demographic. The warranty and service options are not on par with their competition.

Defects
The only minor defect with our car is that the sunroof shade will not one touch close. Other than that minor issue, the car is great.

Questions for the forum
Why does the engine stop when I open the driver's door and how do I prevent that? It seem intermittent, sometimes it shuts off, sometimes it stays running. How can I leave the car, lock it, and leave it running like every other car with keyless start we've owned?

Are the windows REALLY this slow, or is it just my car?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Congrats! I love the xc90 in white as well as black and hope my next one will be white, if I stay with Volvo in 4 years. Right now, I very well may, I'm enjoying my xc90.

The car shuts off when you open the drivers door because of the start stop system and certain conditions being met. It is 'normal' and has been happening to many of us. I think it is supposed to basically save you a step in not having to turn the car off yourself; I don't like it personally. I guess to keep it from happening means turning off the start stop with each car start or be in dynamic mode as that cancels start/stop, but that has to be engaged each start as well. In the end, it is a minor thing I guess...

Edit: just saw your window question as well. It's been discussed by some (and some ridiculed those discussing it) that yes, when using the Windows manually and not in 'auto' they can be slower than some/most cars. I noticed they were a bit slower than my previous cars when I first got mine but have gotten so used to it I don't even notice it anymore quite honestly.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I took delivery last week. Many thanks to the helpful threads on this forum, with the exception of a few trolls, its a great forum.
Nice car! I like the white in combination with the interior. And I agree with the troll comment, too. :) (Sadly I've had to plonk a few people.)

The voice recognition sucks
I've figured out the command structure - but I have to agree ... after using Google and Amazon Echo (Alexa) voice recognition ... I'm a bit disappointed with the car's capability.

I visited a few dealerships when shopping for this car, and this is going to be the brand's biggest problem. The dealerships are not at the level of a BMW or Mercedes, yet this car is grabbing customers from that demographic. The warranty and service options are not on par with their competition.
+1
Especially when you have the likes of Lexus, Audi and other manufacturers demanding that dealers build facilities to facilitate that luxury experience. I think its going to take some time to bring the Volvo retailer network up to those levels.

The only minor defect with our car is that the sunroof shade will not one touch close.
I thought I had the same problem - but just needed a bit longer hold to get it to return.

Why does the engine stop when I open the driver's door and how do I prevent that? It seem intermittent, sometimes it shuts off, sometimes it stays running. How can I leave the car, lock it, and leave it running like every other car with keyless start we've owned?
I've got a T8 so don't even have remote start (but instead something called preconditioning - but that only works when the vehicle is plugged-in). I think this has been touched on in some other threads ...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
:beer: very nice :thumbup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Looks like yours is very similar to ours except that we have the 21 inch wheels. We too are having trouble getting our voice recognition to work....but we have only had it for 2 weeks, and only started to work with it this weekend. Maybe it is my wife's southern accent!!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Maybe it is my wife's southern accent!!
Don't worry, it doesn't seem to like Brooklyn accents either, lol. Mine seems to either accept the command the first time it is given or it will 'fight you' tooth and nail saying to repeat (or whatever it says when it just doesn't 'get it') the command over and over.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Carplay is great for Spotify, but other than that it's useless. If it's not a throw-in, I wouldn't bother. The Sensus phone and nav options are better.
Use CarPlay for awhile and see if you still feel this way. I went in with expectations for CarPlay that may have been unrealistic. In my first few weeks of mainly local driving there was a lot to learn and I only minimally used CarPlay. However I took a 400 mile road trip and CarPlay really shined. I used it extensively for phone, text and music. I prefer CarPlay to manage the phone, as the Siri voice recognition is way better than Sensus. Using the phone and voice to text function I was able to conduct a full day of business while in the car. On the way home I really got to play around with calling up Music using Siri, and it worked very well. CarPlay could be improved, but it is growing on me. I have not tried using Apple Maps for nav yet.

After my road trip, I love this car even more. I drove 4 hour stretches without even a bathroom break and the base seats were extremely comfortable. The overall ride, adaptive cruise control and technology made the drive a total pleasure. Highway gas mileage was better than expected. I continue to be impressed with the handsfree phone quality, and this has been confirmed by callers on the other end. I am curious to try a head to head test of the call quality over bluetooth/Sensus vs USB/CarPlay to see if there is any noticeable difference.

The initial learning curve on the XC90 was faster than expected at first, however the fine details take a bit longer. This road trip really helped me to get to know this car. I came away with several functionality questions answered and no new ones that came up, so that is a definite positive. Also, I know many have reported spotty OnCall app functionality, but it has been pretty flawless for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: Sunroof

I thought I had the same problem - but just needed a bit longer hold to get it to return.
Initially the dealer thought it was that too, but it looks like its actually a problem and not just a user issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edit: just saw your window question as well. It's been discussed by some (and some ridiculed those discussing it) that yes, when using the Windows manually and not in 'auto' they can be slower than some/most cars. I noticed they were a bit slower than my previous cars when I first got mine but have gotten so used to it I don't even notice it anymore quite honestly.
Yeah, the windows are crazy slow. Like 1/3 the speed of a BMW. When you hit one touch down at a drive through it makes you look like you're scared or something.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
First of all, congrats on the car! Looks fantastic.

I am curious about your comment, not that it would not be true in many parts of the country but judging from your location there are two large Volvo retailers close to you that have just had a total renovation of their facilities (Keystone Volvo and Stillman Volvo).

Warranty-wise, I think Volvo is on part with the luxury segment. Not sure if you read the latest news that BMW is scaling back the length of its "Ultimate Service" coverage down to 3 years or 30,000 miles...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah, the windows are crazy slow. Like 1/3 the speed of a BMW. When you hit one touch down at a drive through it makes you look like you're scared or something.
Is this a safety thing?

I wouldn't have thought so, but my wife and I were chatting yesterday about whether or not the Volvo has an auto-reverse feature on the windows if your child gets his/her hand caught in the window as it's going up. I wasn't sure, but then brought up the fact that I'd read that the windows roll-up and down slowly and she asked me if that was an intended safety feature. Hence the question.

Is this intentional or just a function of cheaping out on the window motor?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great looking 90!

The windows are 2 mode - push the button harder. At least mine are 2 speed - and if it's a defect I'll keep it.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Options ordered
  • Vision
  • Climate
  • Black Headliner

Quick Review

The Drive 8/10
The driving dynamics of this vehicle are impressive considering its size. The power delivery is good, the suspension is stiff, and the steering is impressive for a car of this size. The X5 handles a little better, but its a much smaller car too.

The Interior 10/10
The seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, and the interior touches are really sophisticated. The softness of that nappa leather is unreal and the design elements of the cabin are high end yet understated. The size of this car with the 3rd row makes it more practical than the X5 we were initially considering. We took a quick look at the Q7, but were unimpressed.

Technology 8/10

The tech in this car is what got me to consider a Volvo, before this car the brand wasn't even on our radar. The sensus interface is easy to use, and overall I'm actually impressed with the NAV and Phone functions. The base sound system is great too. There are things that need improvement. The voice recognition sucks, I've had better experiences in vehicles built over a decade ago. Carplay is great for Spotify, but other than that it's useless. If it's not a throw-in, I wouldn't bother. The Sensus phone and nav options are better.

Defects
The only minor defect with our car is that the sunroof shade will not one touch close. Other than that minor issue, the car is great.

Questions for the forum

Are the windows REALLY this slow, or is it just my car?
Congratulations! I have had the SUV for a little longer than you and my impressions about Volvo the SUV and Volvo the company generally align with yours.

I am less concerned about the vehicle glitches than I am about the company. The value and long term viability of our vehicles requires that Volvo be more like a luxury SUV company. The required change goes beyond cosmetics.

Congratulations again!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First of all, congrats on the car! Looks fantastic.

I am curious about your comment, not that it would not be true in many parts of the country but judging from your location there are two large Volvo retailers close to you that have just had a total renovation of their facilities (Keystone Volvo and Stillman Volvo).

Warranty-wise, I think Volvo is on part with the luxury segment. Not sure if you read the latest news that BMW is scaling back the length of its "Ultimate Service" coverage down to 3 years or 30,000 miles...
Keystone and Stillman both have new buildings. Keystone has limited space, but a prime location. Stillman is in a nice spot, but the rep never followed up with me, but she was very knowledgeable. The Audi and BMW dealers nearby have much more impressive buildings, but I bought a Volvo regardless. I actually bought from a dealer out of area due to a personal relationship.

The included maintenance is not a race to the bottom. BMW is reducing their warranty period back to 3 years, but that includes brakes and rotors which really add up. You go to any BMW dealer ask for an extended warranty at purchase and they can set you up. The dealer I bought from didn't even know they existed.

My comment about dealers is about overall buyer experience. The warranty, the maintenance, the knowledge level of the rep, the building, the maintenance team, the maintenance advisor, the coffee in the building, online order tracking, etc. Volvo is a brand in transition and has some growing pains. Part of that is having more than one hot car.

I closed on my car 10 days ago. Besides an automated email, NOBODY has contacted me. No survey, etc. How does Volvo keep track of their net promoter score? How do they improve the buying process? That's REALLY bad when you consider the cost of this car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I totally agree with you about the dealers. The two Volvo dealers I visited in Northern NJ are very poor in comparison to other luxury brands, and even compared to Honda and Subaru dealers I have been in. The XC90 is a great product and from the looks of things the next gen s60 will be very good as well. The dealers with help from VCNA need to step up and make experience up to par otherwise many customers will walk away.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great looking 90!

The windows are 2 mode - push the button harder. At least mine are 2 speed - and if it's a defect I'll keep it.
Are you sure about this "2 speed"? There's no mention of it in the owner's manual (see screen shot below). Like most power windows, there is a manual mode and auto mode. But, that's not to be confused with "2 speed".

By the way, I agree with the OP -- the auto up/down is one of the slowest I've ever had in a vehicle. And, I've owned ~20 vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Defects

[
You should be able to re-calibrate the sunshade/roof by closing it all the way and then HOLDING the back button manually until all the way opened and continuing to hold it for a few seconds after its all the ways opened.

Do this in EVERY direction (back, forward, up, and down) for the shade and roof.

We had a challenge with a new XC90 at my dealership and this was the fix and it instantly worked.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You should be able to re-calibrate the sunshade/roof by closing it all the way and then HOLDING the back button manually until all the way opened and continuing to hold it for a few seconds after its all the ways opened.

Do this in EVERY direction (back, forward, up, and down) for the shade and roof.

We had a challenge with a new XC90 at my dealership and this was the fix and it instantly worked.
If that doesn't work, you can also try moving it up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Select (drive mode), Start (the car).

·
Registered
478 Posts
If that doesn't work, you can also try moving it up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Select (drive mode), Start (the car).
I thought that that only worked on Japanese cars. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts