SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you have asked me to make my own thread for my experiences with my new XC90 T8.
First of all, I have owned it for less than a week now, so experiences are very limited.
Second I live in a beautiful country named Netherlands and the roads and driving is different here.
And third I am not a car journalist, do not have much experience with SUV's and have been driving a BMW Z4 35i for the past three years.
So bear with me

The fully electric driving is fast enough for speeds up to 50 mph and in normal driving I get around 15 miles before the battery is low.
The transition from electric to petrol engine is extremely smooth most of the time, not noticeable to me, the gear box of the petrol engine is also very fluent mostly.
Faintly I can hear the 4-cilinder petrol engine, which is not as smooth as I was used to, but it is so very quiet that I would not put stress on this.
The B&W sound system is great, so all I hear is my music.
Air suspension is also very comfortable with my 20" winter tyres (says someone who used to drive a Z4 with M-suspension)

I will try to post some more experience once I have gathered it.
For now I have a video for you as I have been asked to post a 0-60 mph in Power mode.
Well, I am not ready to do that to my car yet, probably never will, but a 0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) in Pure I can do.
Only problem was, I have tried it three times, but all three times the petrol engine kicked in.
I also did it with my Volvo V60 D6 Plug-In Hybrid, that was a lot quicker once past 50 mph (80 km/h)

View My Video

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Is Power mode fast enough at normal throttle that you feel it different like a sedan other than a SUV?
Your other cars are fast so maybe you don't feel any surprise at all. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have paddles behind the steering wheel? Your pretty lucky you're living in the Netherlands they delayed all t8's in Belgium and gave all production slots to the netherlands without even an apologize from volvo or a startup car. Normally our t8 should be in our garage too...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Now we need a video full blast in the Power mode :D So is 15 miles the furthest it will go on the battery??

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
No chance to make such a video. There is no T8 demo car that people can floor the gas. ;)
I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for one lol But eventually someone will make it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Some of you have asked me to make my own thread for my experiences with my new XC90 T8.
First of all, I have owned it for less than a week now, so experiences are very limited.
Second I live in a beautiful country named Netherlands and the roads and driving is different here.
And third I am not a car journalist, do not have much experience with SUV's and have been driving a BMW Z4 35i for the past three years.
So bear with me

The fully electric driving is fast enough for speeds up to 50 mph and in normal driving I get around 15 miles before the battery is low.
The transition from electric to petrol engine is extremely smooth most of the time, not noticeable to me, the gear box of the petrol engine is also very fluent mostly.
Faintly I can hear the 4-cilinder petrol engine, which is not as smooth as I was used to, but it is so very quiet that I would not put stress on this.
The B&W sound system is great, so all I hear is my music.
Air suspension is also very comfortable with my 20" winter tyres (says someone who used to drive a Z4 with M-suspension)

I will try to post some more experience once I have gathered it.
For now I have a video for you as I have been asked to post a 0-60 mph in Power mode.
Well, I am not ready to do that to my car yet, probably never will, but a 0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) in Pure I can do.
Only problem was, I have tried it three times, but all three times the petrol engine kicked in.
I also did it with my Volvo V60 D6 Plug-In Hybrid, that was a lot quicker once past 50 mph (80 km/h)

View My Video
How come your v60 D6 is faster from 80kmh onwards? Have you actually measured it or is this just your feeling?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have paddles on the steering wheel and really don't miss them. Have had them my Z4 and did not use them at all.

Because my T8 is pretty new I am not driving it in Power mode yet.
And you should not wait for a 0-60 video in Power mode, because I won't be making it.
I do however have extensive experience with Power mode in my V60 Hybrid.
In the V60 it really feels like a 300 hp car up to 80 mph and it has a nice direct throttle response.
On normal roads you also don't drain the battery, because you can't drive full throttle the whole time.

The electric motor has a lot of torque, but only little horsepower.
Also the torque is available immediately, so it is quick when you pull up at traffic lights.
This is also the reason you can drive such a heavy car with this small electric engine.
It is pretty quick up to 30 mph.
The reason I think why it doesn't accelerate well past 50 mph is the drag of the big frontal size of the XC90
Horsepower is missing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please new T8-owners, share all your driving experiences in this thread.

Has anyone who has driven both the T8 and T6 or D5, has a feeling to share about the center of gravity.
In some reviews they say it's worse in the T8 due to the batteries. Has anyone experienced that?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

Has anyone who has driven both the T8 and T6 or D5, has a feeling to share about the center of gravity.
In some reviews they say it's worse in the T8 due to the batteries. Has anyone experienced that?
The batteries are already at the lowest possible position in the car. I actually don't get how the reviewers would guess that way.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Worse? It is better, in my opinion. I was able to drive around curves, with a T8, with minimal body lean; I think the batteries being installed in the central part of the car, affect the vehicle's center of gravity in a positive manner.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yesterday was the big da. After more than 1 year after ordering we got our T8 Inscription!
We've driven several XC90 I's since 2004, and we loved the car. In fact it was so good, we accepted the long waiting period. After 11 years driving D5 Diesel, we now own a Petrol Hybrid. The first thing that we directly noticed is the silence. Driving electrical mains complete silence, you only hear some tyre noise.

We already had the opportunity to drive for 2 weeks with a V60 PIH, so we’re already familiar with all the driving modes. For those not knowing yet. The right-hand gauge is used to show the hybrid status. As long as the gauge is below the ‘fuel-drop’, you drive electrical. Above the petrol engine seamless take over.

This works the same in most driving modes , only the threshold level changes. When selecting ‘Pure’ you will be longer using electrical, before the petrol takes over, compared to ‘Hybrid’. When you brake, the system starts to regenerate, and the gauge drops below ‘ready’. The regeneration works perfectly. You, see the charge level of the batteries increases. To use this, the PNDL should be set in ‘B’.

According to Volvo you can drive 40 km (25 m), and we managed yesterday exactly ;-)

Some pictures of our new kid:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Beautiful car! Love the crystal shifter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thank you for telling us how the gauge works. Pics are great. Congratulations.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great angle. Thanks for sharing that photo. It's a beauty indeed!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the compliments ;)

The interior pic is indeed made via the open sunroof. Just holding the camera above, I'm not that tall, and finding the right angle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts