SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am owner of a 2019 XC90 T8 in Shanghai China. I picked up my car in October 2018 and has been driving it for about 4800km. It's all seem fine after 6 month of ownership.
Just this morning, I drove to Hangzhou which is about 200km from Shanghai for a business meeting with my colleagues. And it's been a relaxing drive and on the way back, after passing the toll to enter into Shanghai, the sensus seems to have a cliche and it went black and reboot almost instantaneously. However, I notice that it lost some of the memory of the trip meter. Since I was still about 40km from Shanghai, and the car seems to be behaving fine (I was doing about 20~30km/h just coming out from the toll booth) I was only bit concern but didn't really made much of it. Then continuing on for the rest of the journey at about 120km/h which is within the speed limit.
Then about 15mins later, the black screen reoccured and this time, it didn't reboot, and I lost power, engine got cut off, no response from the gas/acceleration pedal while the car is cruising along the highway at about 100km/h.... luckily, I am still able to apply brakes and I careful look around the surrounding and steer my car to a exit zone for emergency stopping. The whole car is dead, no response from anything. However, I still able to have lighting and rear boot is still able to open. There's not response from the key as well. Call in the the inside of the car is completely non-functional except the lighting on the ceiling. Call the Volvo Emergency service and advised my to disconnect the battery at the boot for 5 mins and reconnect to see whether it will reboot the system. Nothing happened.

The car is now tolled to the dealer and since it's almost midnight when the car went in, I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to see what happen.
I am dreading to go through the long process of Volvo/dealer checking what is wrong with the car and the back and forth of negotiating a solution etc...
This is the worst experience I have with 20 years of car ownership, bad because my life is actually endangered when I lost control of the car while doing 100km/h. I thought about my family, my child while the car lost power and just cruise along, if the traffic is bit difficult and I have to stop in the middle of the highway with no power to get out of the way. I guess that is a very serious problem.

I will never trust this car again. And my life is too precious to waste it on this death trap.
I know this is an america forum, but it's just a fair warning for anyone driving this piece of garbage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, I am owner of a 2019 XC90 T8 in Shanghai China. I picked up my car in October 2018 and has been driving it for about 4800km. It's all seem fine after 6 month of ownership.
Just this morning, I drove to Hangzhou which is about 200km from Shanghai for a business meeting with my colleagues. And it's been a relaxing drive and on the way back, after passing the toll to enter into Shanghai, the sensus seems to have a cliche and it went black and reboot almost instantaneously. However, I notice that it lost some of the memory of the trip meter. Since I was still about 40km from Shanghai, and the car seems to be behaving fine (I was doing about 20~30km/h just coming out from the toll booth) I was only bit concern but didn't really made much of it. Then continuing on for the rest of the journey at about 120km/h which is within the speed limit.
Then about 15mins later, the black screen reoccured and this time, it didn't reboot, and I lost power, engine got cut off, no response from the gas/acceleration pedal while the car is cruising along the highway at about 100km/h.... luckily, I am still able to apply brakes and I careful look around the surrounding and steer my car to a exit zone for emergency stopping. The whole car is dead, no response from anything. However, I still able to have lighting and rear boot is still able to open. There's not response from the key as well. Call in the the inside of the car is completely non-functional except the lighting on the ceiling. Call the Volvo Emergency service and advised my to disconnect the battery at the boot for 5 mins and reconnect to see whether it will reboot the system. Nothing happened.

The car is now tolled to the dealer and since it's almost midnight when the car went in, I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to see what happen.
I am dreading to go through the long process of Volvo/dealer checking what is wrong with the car and the back and forth of negotiating a solution etc...
This is the worst experience I have with 20 years of car ownership, bad because my life is actually endangered when I lost control of the car while doing 100km/h. I thought about my family, my child while the car lost power and just cruise along, if the traffic is bit difficult and I have to stop in the middle of the highway with no power to get out of the way. I guess that is a very serious problem.

I will never trust this car again. And my life is too precious to waste it on this death trap.
I know this is an america forum, but it's just a fair warning for anyone driving this piece of garbage.
Hard to believe. Please share the dealer feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
120 Posts
I feel your uncertainty towards the car. I’ve only had one reboot over the past two years so my confidence isn’t broken. When did you get the latest system update? The fault could be something else than the Sensus, like a faulty powerline.

Any car that suffers a motor problem can lose power instantly so its good to hear the basic steering and braking worked and you managed the situation.

I my self remember once on a old car the hood flew up while I was just about to over take a lorry. Scary but pulled over to the road side and mitigated the situation to continue.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Hope they sort it out quickly. Power connections in hybrid car usually should be secured quite well. Maybe the high voltage inverter is dead.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Sounds like the car had a catastrophic failure of some sort and went into limp mode. Curious to see what the dealer tells you...Let us all know.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hard to believe. Please share the dealer feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not out of the realm of possibility. Have you not had Sensus reboot while driving? Has happened to me a few times. The first time it rebooted 3 times consecutively. The last few times it’s done it I’ve noticed that it totally resets the drive mode back to the default Hybrid raising the suspension (I usually drive either in Pure or Individual - Power suspension with Pure drive). Fortunately in my case it comes back right away but the last time it happened it took with it until the next power off/on cycle all indicator sounds. In my case it’s the result of interaction with CarPlay. When the Sensus crashes you do have to make note of what media you were playing, apparently it’s the result of a media crash event. I can totally imagine if Sensus stays off the drive functions could be taken offline. I hadn’t considered it being as potentially serious as what the OP experienced but I’ve been fortunate it’s come back in my experience.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Built in China is the problem would be my guess
One of the most unqualified and unsubstantiated comments in a long time.
:thumbup:

Seriously uninformed and ignorant comment considering how much of the world’s high tech, luxury/high quality and complex tech products have been assembled and even fully manufactured in China for years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from the dealer. Initially the diagnosis is the interior fuse box under the glove box has a loose connection in its main connection point to the its socket. They click it in place and the screen lit up....

Then lots of error code. And since I can't turn off the light last night, there has no more battery and they are now charging the battery to get it started. Their initial plan is to run a diagnostic first and then go through the undercarriage of the car to see whether there's more connection loose and also problem with the battery control module problem etc. Anyway, they said they will form a report first cause this is rather serious as it happen in a highway situation where it is dangerous to me as well as other drivers. This is not just a simple case of car breaking down.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
:thumbup:

Seriously uninformed and ignorant comment considering how much of the world’s high tech, luxury/high quality and complex tech products have been assembled and even fully manufactured in China for years.
Seriously. They make your iPhones.

China makes products to a specification. They are willing to make a product as perfect as you are willing to pay for and as crappy as you are cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

China makes products to a specification. They are willing to make a product as perfect as you are willing to pay for and as crappy as you are cheap.

In general, your comment is 100% true.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts

Except China is riddled with knock off and fakes that get intermingled with "legit products".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. Initially the diagnosis is the interior fuse box under the glove box has a loose connection in its main connection point to the its socket. They click it in place and the screen lit up....

Then lots of error code. And since I can't turn off the light last night, there has no more battery and they are now charging the battery to get it started. Their initial plan is to run a diagnostic first and then go through the undercarriage of the car to see whether there's more connection loose and also problem with the battery control module problem etc. Anyway, they said they will form a report first cause this is rather serious as it happen in a highway situation where it is dangerous to me as well as other drivers. This is not just a simple case of car breaking down.
So then its wasn’t a glitch in the software and was a fuse box connectivity problem. Thats good in a sense you now know it will not reproduce after it being fixed and the car is back in a normal state and safe to drive.

Volvo will gather the facts. do a root cause analyse and maybe there will be a recall following.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts