SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know this was discussed a bit in the other thread, but my R-Design with the 22's was delivered with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde summer only tires. The dealer told me multiple times that it would have all season tires, and even when I picked it up and was standing right next to the car they tried to tell me they were all season tires. I had to educate them on the fact that they are obviously summer tires, you can clearly tell just by looking at the tread design. It seriously concerns me they would tell a customer this.

Now, as others have said, all season tires are useless and dedicated summer/winters are significantly better, so frankly I am fine with summer tires and will buy a dedicated set of tires/wheels for winter. My issue is that the order guide states that they would be delivered with all seasons. I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me on what they are going to do about it, I said I would be happy with them offering me a set of wheels/tires for winter use at a deep discount.

Other than that, my wife and I are thrilled with the XC90! Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Oh interesting yeah I found the other thread discussing this. Hmm yeah strange but as you say, I would just as soon have gotten summers and been forced to get a proper winter set. Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yes, there are two versions. The All Season 21" version didn't come out until right before we began seeing First Editions ship. They were basically made in that size for this car and volvo.

The summer versions were out previously.

IF there were 22" versions of the All Seasons added, I'm not sure, because at the time I was investigating all this stuff, I was only interested in the 21"s.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
at this rate, you're not going to have a winter to need a winter tire!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wouldn't you be needing to downsize on the size of the tire anyway if you were looking at winter tires? I couldn't find any winter tires for the 21"s . Only two summers and the stock all season. Also aren't the Pirelli summer tires more expensive than the all season version?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't you be needing to downsize on the size of the tire anyway if you were looking at winter tires? I couldn't find any winter tires for the 21"s . Only two summers and the stock all season. Also aren't the Pirelli summer tires more expensive than the all season version?
Of course I would need a different wheel setup for winters. My issue is that the summer tires are completely unsafe for winter use, and the dealer told me they would be all season, I could at least get by with the all season tires though.

I know only summers are available in the size for the 22's, that is why I questioned them ahead of time, but dealer still told me they would be all season...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know what you should do... I insisted that the dealer deliver M+ with snow tires installed. After a few days of back and forth, they agreed to 235/55/R19 Blizzak DM-V2s on the stock wheels for no additional cost for the tires/mounting/balancing/etc. I wanted it this way because 235/65R19 is an good winter size for sidewall and tire availability. And they're delivering the stock 235 rubber to me @ home which i'll sell. This spring i'll pick up a summer wheel/tire combo, likely the OEM 20s (despite not typically an OEM fan) on Michelin Latitude Sports. Or maybe i'll be lazy and go with the summer package 22s on Scorpion Verde summers if the tires prove to be decent performers.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
This seems like you are looking a gift horse in the mouth; getting the summer tires is better than getting the all-seasons, no?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This seems like you are looking a gift horse in the mouth; getting the summer tires is better than getting the all-seasons, no?

Yes and no, eventually I would go with a dedicated summer/winter set. If it had all seasons I could get away with one winter and not be forced to buy wheels & tires.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Yes and no, eventually I would go with a dedicated summer/winter set. If it had all seasons I could get away with one winter and not be forced to buy wheels & tires.
I'm not sure how smart it would be to brave a Pennsylvania winter with "all"-seasons, so you probably got lucky (though, agreed, it's an inconvenience you weren't ready to deal with)

Running winters and summers is a better approach, considering what most folks here say, than running all-seasons. This "mistake' by the dealer/Volvo just forces you into the better approach sooner. You'll be safer this winter with the winter tires!! It costs you money sooner, but you were gonna spend the money, anyway, so you might as well be safe this winter. Your safety is worth it!

:beer:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Now, as others have said, all season tires are useless
But, wait, you go on later in this thread to argue you could "get by" this winter if you had the all-seasons. So, are they useless or not? :)

Just giving you a hard time. But also, it's a reminder that the all-seasons are really just fine for many of us (depending on climate, how bad winter weather is where we live, etc.). Not saying a dedicated set of summers and winters may not be the optimal solution. But, that comes at a cost -- and one I've never felt the need for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think "braving a Pennsylvania winter with all seasons" is a bit dramatic. I have managed just fine with all seasons the past 3 years in a FWD sedan and I live in a very hilly section of Philly. I'm not saying I disagree with the pro's of a dedicated Winter/Summer tire setup, but many make all season's sound like driving on ice with wooden wheels and that's not at all the case. Let's just be realistic with regards to all seasons and understand that the majority of tires sold and delivered on new cars are all seasons. I certainly wouldn't throw caution to the wind with all season's, but they're not a definitive death trap either.

To OP, good luck with getting a winter setup from the dealer and your RD is absolutely beautiful!!!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Now, as others have said, all season tires are useless
I am sorry but that is a bunch of baloney. All season tires are not useless at all. They serve a purpose and they do it well. Of course, dedicated summer and/or winters do their job even better but at a penalty.

Whoever has told you that all season tires are useless does not need what he/she is talking about.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I'm not sure how smart it would be to brave a Pennsylvania winter with "all"-seasons, so you probably got lucky (though, agreed, it's an inconvenience you weren't ready to deal with)
I have done it for two decades and never had a problem. I used to drive XC90s, S60 AWDs, S60 FWDs, V70 AWDs, XC70s, V50s (FWD and AWD), you name it. Especially the AWD models, they were unstoppable in snow/slush, etc. The only limitations were if the snowfall was more than 18" or in strictly iced pavement.

Running winters and summers is a better approach, considering what most folks here say, than running all-seasons.
Winter tires and summer tires will perform better. However, the penalty is fuel economy w/ winter tires and summer tires wear prematurely.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I think "braving a Pennsylvania winter with all seasons" is a bit dramatic. I have managed just fine with all seasons the past 3 years in a FWD sedan and I live in a very hilly section of Philly. I'm not saying I disagree with the pro's of a dedicated Winter/Summer tire setup, but many make all season's sound like driving on ice with wooden wheels and that's not at all the case. Let's just be realistic with regards to all seasons and understand that the majority of tires sold and delivered on new cars are all seasons. I certainly wouldn't throw caution to the wind with all season's, but they're not a definitive death trap either.

To OP, good luck with getting a winter setup from the dealer and your RD is absolutely beautiful!!!
I agree, as well. I spent two decades "braving" the winters of Chester County (with all its hills) and had absolutely no issues with Volvos shod with all season tires.

People here exaggerate when it comes to all-season tires. 80% of Americans drive w/ all-season tires and they do just fine.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Ok so I know this was discussed a bit in the other thread, but my R-Design with the 22's was delivered with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde summer only tires. The dealer told me multiple times that it would have all season tires, and even when I picked it up and was standing right next to the car they tried to tell me they were all season tires. I had to educate them on the fact that they are obviously summer tires, you can clearly tell just by looking at the tread design. It seriously concerns me they would tell a customer this.

Now, as others have said, all season tires are useless and dedicated summer/winters are significantly better, so frankly I am fine with summer tires and will buy a dedicated set of tires/wheels for winter. My issue is that the order guide states that they would be delivered with all seasons. I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me on what they are going to do about it, I said I would be happy with them offering me a set of wheels/tires for winter use at a deep discount.

Other than that, my wife and I are thrilled with the XC90! Here are some pictures:
Good all season/four season tires are not useless, especially with a competent AWD system. The Scorpion Verde "Plus" a/s are excellent all season tires and do very well in wintery conditions with AWD.

Beautiful rig btw!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts