SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I would like to share with you my experience with new XC90 after 20kkm.

At the end of July I bought XC90 Momentum D5 which have some additional Packs:

Winter Pack - I wasn't able to test it but front heated windscreen sound nice. Wish I can have it with OSD.
Family Pack - not as important for me
Xenium Pack - 360 camera it's must have with this kind of car. Without camera I would be extremely hard to park in small supermarket slots or in Italy (those who were there what I mean)
Intellisafe Pro - my favorite feature. Adaptive Cruise Control + Lane Correction means that car is semi autonomic on motorways. Had some moments where I was tired or distracted and those features save my life/car.
Apple Car Play - I'm using Windows Phone so not important for me but my wife have iPhone so may use it in the future. I wonder if Windows Phone will support this feature in the future.

I had an opportunity to buy XC90 straight away (someone change his mind) and I didn't have any influence on options etc.

Overall my happiness is 8/10 mainly due to small problems:

Navigation – you cannot search by post code (which is must have in UK) in navigation. You can only do this by phone app and send location to the car (which is not perfect). During last week my navigation in dashboard disappeared and had to turn off and on engine to reappear which was frustrating.
Radio or Bluetooth – I’m experiencing constant problems with streaming music from my mobile (Windows Phone 8.1 – Nokia 1520). Several times my mobile was restarting due to some problems with Bluetooth connectivity. Songs are not in right order when I’m connected with Bluetooth. When I’m disconnecting then all items are in right order.
Tyres – I have 20” Continental tires which are extremely loud in comparison to Pirelli. All my previous cars (mainly VW) had always Goodyears or Pirellis which were much better. This is unacceptable to put so loud tires in such car.
Audio – standard audio system it’s not great and in my previous car was much better (even it was lower class car). In UK B&W cost £3,000 which is a lot however it’s worth (had a demo car with B&W and classical music sounds great).

Suspension – I wish I have air-suspension because I can feel bumps on non-motorways roads.
Performance - I have diesel 225KM and it's enough for me. During few trips in Europe (I'm living in UK) I had an opportunity to test against main competitors BMW X5, MB ML, RR and Audi Q5, Q7 and often I was faster. Engine can be loud when pushing accelerator to max. Normally I'm driving on Comfort mode and rarely using Performance. Few times I was driving above 200km/h (in German motorways there are no speed limits :) ) and car was able to accelerate without problem. My record was 240km/h and average fuel consumption was 18l/100km which wasn't bad
Comfort - This is very subjective section. Last week I was able to drive 1800km in one day with wife, 3 children and lots of luggage. Older my daughter was sitting in 3rd row and she was happy with it like access to charging socket in boot. Seats are comfortable but little bit too short (worth to pay for extension).
Look and Feel – Onyx black with black soft nappa leather and 20” 5 double diamond black matt allows looks great. I like a lot of Momentum grill which is black which match with other items.

I’m planning to swap my XC90 D5 to Momentum T8 next year when they will be in stock at dealers. I’m planning to select all packs like OSD, air-suspension, B&W audio.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you for the honest and informative review. Is there really no way of using UK postcodes. I remember somebody saying it works if the input is with capital letters. Have to test driven an air suspension XC90? If so, how much better was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Yeah I hate the nav search format. For the U.S. It's basically backwards to what would be intuitive (if not the rest of the world). I'm used to google maps, which I can either put only the post code in and get routed to the general area I want to go (I use this as shorthand for my address since I know my neighborhood well). Otherwise I'll always start with the address# then street name then city if necessary. Google will usually have offered the correct option by that point.

The app search and send to car is a saving grace but the system on board is almost useless.

FYI there will be android auto for non-apple phones coming out next year.

·
Registered
283 Posts
thanks for the detailed review :)

I just wanted to write something about the suspension. I live in Luxembourg and the roads are very close to perfect so when I test drove the XC90 here I chose the normal suspension instead of the Air Suspension because it didn't make sense to spend the extra cash on something which I didn't need. However I have to agree that in the UK air suspension must be a must because the roads are nowhere near the roads in mainland :/ I was there last week and I was impressed by how bad the motorways are.

Hi,
I would like to share with you my experience with new XC90 after 20kkm.

At the end of July I bought XC90 Momentum D5 which have some additional Packs:

Winter Pack - I wasn't able to test it but front heated windscreen sound nice. Wish I can have it with OSD.
Family Pack - not as important for me
Xenium Pack - 360 camera it's must have with this kind of car. Without camera I would be extremely hard to park in small supermarket slots or in Italy (those who were there what I mean)
Intellisafe Pro - my favorite feature. Adaptive Cruise Control + Lane Correction means that car is semi autonomic on motorways. Had some moments where I was tired or distracted and those features save my life/car.
Apple Car Play - I'm using Windows Phone so not important for me but my wife have iPhone so may use it in the future. I wonder if Windows Phone will support this feature in the future.

I had an opportunity to buy XC90 straight away (someone change his mind) and I didn't have any influence on options etc.

Overall my happiness is 8/10 mainly due to small problems:

Navigation – you cannot search by post code (which is must have in UK) in navigation. You can only do this by phone app and send location to the car (which is not perfect). During last week my navigation in dashboard disappeared and had to turn off and on engine to reappear which was frustrating.
Radio or Bluetooth – I’m experiencing constant problems with streaming music from my mobile (Windows Phone 8.1 – Nokia 1520). Several times my mobile was restarting due to some problems with Bluetooth connectivity. Songs are not in right order when I’m connected with Bluetooth. When I’m disconnecting then all items are in right order.
Tyres – I have 20” Continental tires which are extremely loud in comparison to Pirelli. All my previous cars (mainly VW) had always Goodyears or Pirellis which were much better. This is unacceptable to put so loud tires in such car.
Audio – standard audio system it’s not great and in my previous car was much better (even it was lower class car). In UK B&W cost £3,000 which is a lot however it’s worth (had a demo car with B&W and classical music sounds great).

Suspension – I wish I have air-suspension because I can feel bumps on non-motorways roads.
Performance - I have diesel 225KM and it's enough for me. During few trips in Europe (I'm living in UK) I had an opportunity to test against main competitors BMW X5, MB ML, RR and Audi Q5, Q7 and often I was faster. Engine can be loud when pushing accelerator to max. Normally I'm driving on Comfort mode and rarely using Performance. Few times I was driving above 200km/h (in German motorways there are no speed limits :) ) and car was able to accelerate without problem. My record was 240km/h and average fuel consumption was 18l/100km which wasn't bad
Comfort - This is very subjective section. Last week I was able to drive 1800km in one day with wife, 3 children and lots of luggage. Older my daughter was sitting in 3rd row and she was happy with it like access to charging socket in boot. Seats are comfortable but little bit too short (worth to pay for extension).
Look and Feel – Onyx black with black soft nappa leather and 20” 5 double diamond black matt allows looks great. I like a lot of Momentum grill which is black which match with other items.

I’m planning to swap my XC90 D5 to Momentum T8 next year when they will be in stock at dealers. I’m planning to select all packs like OSD, air-suspension, B&W audio.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The suspension and ride dynamics seem to vary widely on the choice of road driven. I drove the normal suspension on some pretty rough roads in the US and it was not very impressive at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I awaiting delivery of a non air suspension Momentum but have stuck with 19 inch wheels. I'm in the UK. Hope I'm not disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was with my XC90 in Luxemburg last week and need to confirm that motorways are hole-less :)
:) yes they are, I think the worst roads that I found so far which are still not as bad as those in the UK are in Belgium. But still nothing that the normal suspension cannot handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts