SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A semi-truck kicked up a rock or looked like a spark plug

I drove her car through an unfamiliar neighborhood at night, and didn't notch the "speed-curbs" (like speed bumps, but they purposely have curbs that extend out with an island of plants in the center of the road)

After a week of non-stop heavy rain, the AWD decided to disengage.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
did awd disable result from hitting the curb?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

"Speed-curbs" are called chicanes They are the devil at night on an unfamiliar residential road.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Our XC60 met a bunch of massive rocks on the highway 6 months after we drove her off the lot. The rocks we hit took out the grill, windshield, drivers mirror, both a-pillar sections. Then put dents in the hood/front bumper and a nice dent on the drivers side door.

You should feel fortunate it just hit the windshield.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did awd disable result from hitting the curb?
No, the AWD was actively being used during a week of heavy rain, and a lot of "Florida Ice" (slick oil during the first 15 minutes of a downpour). I heard a weird clicking noise under me, when I quickly merged onto a wet busy 4 lane street; I could tell there was some wheel slippage in the front and the AWD was trying to put more traction in the rear. (No warning message, yet) The next day my wife called and yelled at me, and asked what did I do to her car. That was when the warning popped up. I'm getting it fixed tomorrow. They had to order a part.

·
Registered
770 Posts
"Speed-curbs" are called chicanes
The only thing that street is missing is one of those radar speed signs so that the teenagers don't have to argue about who actually did it faster.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I find it disturbing that some rain would cause an AWD failure, its a brand new car!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find it disturbing that some rain would cause an AWD failure, its a brand new car!
True, my wife was pissed that a $50,000 car would already have that problem. Then I mentioned to her that it may have been caused by a rear end collision 14 months ago. A brand new 2015 F-150 rear ended my wife, 30 minutes after she pulled off the lot. There was no serious visible damage to the volvo (scratches to the bumper), but the F-150's front end was caved in. After their insurance paid for the new bumper, and adjusting the boron frame in the back, we assumed everything was good to go. I didn't want to mention this to the service clerk, just in case it was a void to the warranty, and be advised to call his insurance company to fix it.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
True, my wife was pissed that a $50,000 car would already have that problem. Then I mentioned to her that it may have been caused by a rear end collision 14 months ago. A brand new 2015 F-150 rear ended my wife, 30 minutes after she pulled off the lot. There was no serious visible damage to the volvo (scratches to the bumper), but the F-150's front end was caved in. After their insurance paid for the new bumper, and adjusting the boron frame in the back, we assumed everything was good to go. I didn't want to mention this to the service clerk, just in case it was a void to the warranty, and be advised to call his insurance company to fix it.
Could be just a bad pressure sensor in the rear DEM unit.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could be just a bad pressure sensor in the rear DEM unit.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
I see that the wives drive the grocery getter, and the males drive the functional sports car. I should name my V60 "The Griswold"

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is issues with Oil in the Haldex 5. It degrades a lot faster and clogs the filter. Since there is no mechanical pump
anymore in the Haldex 5 so electrical pump working in a more difficult conditions then in Haldex 4.
There is also no oil pressure sensor and pressure is calculated by pump current.
So any issues with pump make AWD to stop working.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There are a couple Tech Journals for the AWD Disabled message. Will probably need a new AOC pump and some software. No big deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think time to trade the car in... some car just attract bad luck for certain ownerd. Grear excuse for a new year model 😆

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think time to trade the car in... some car just attract bad luck for certain ownerd. Grear excuse for a new year model ��

Maybe I can convince to trade the XC60 in for the 2017 or 2018 XC90. I'd rather wait.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I think time to trade the car in... some car just attract bad luck for certain ownerd. Grear excuse for a new year model ��

Lol! My first car really had some talent for attracting bad luck. I wrecked it once, got hit by someone else another time and the motor blew up. I sold it, after fixing the motor, at 94,000 miles and according to CarFax the new owner totalled it 5 months later, and it was auctioned as frame damaged. Still miss that car, wish I could find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts