SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving stopped at a stop light. Put in first and started going, around 2 rpm my car had a kick back of power, almost like it popped out of gear, but it didn't. It felt like I had downshifted. Which I didn't. I put the car into second, it went fine till about 2 rpm, then it did the exact same thing. I pulled into a parking lot and the car did fine as long as it didn't get high rpms. Or so it seems. I got onto the road to head home and wanted to see if when I went into 3rd it would do the same. I got up to a good enough speed and the car turned off. I coasted to a stop then try to restart the car. It struggled to start. Does anyone know what happened to my baby? Ok, so I have reading that it could be transmission fluid levels, gear shift, or even air intake? I have a 85 240 wagon. Help me pleeeeeeease! It's a manual transmission by the way. Please help me I can't get it to my trustee volvo man until monday or later.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: My volvo just got trouble..HELP (laincalvin)

How could <B>we </B>know over the web?<br>I mean really.....c'mon

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Well now this could be many many many things .... I dont think it is the tranny if your car is has a lose of power... Sounds like an something to do with the ECU but i really do not know alot about your car....Fuel filter ... sparks .... i mean there are really so many option... I had a similar problem in one of my older cars and i ended up having to replace my injectors ... so ... i wish i could help more !

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Re: (jdsr917)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How could <B>we </B>know over the web?<br>I mean really.....c'mon</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Of course no one can know for sure, but plenty of people have had similar experiences, I'm sure. Like, for example:<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>jdsr917</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well now this could be many many many things .... I dont think it is the tranny if your car is has a lose of power... Sounds like an something to do with the ECU but i really do not know alot about your car....Fuel filter ... sparks .... i mean there are really so many option... I had a similar problem in one of my older cars and i ended up having to replace my injectors ... so ... i wish i could help more !</TD></TR></TABLE><br>

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: My volvo just got trouble..HELP (laincalvin)

My first guess would be ignition - you should <B>always</B> suspect ignition first, then air intake, then ECU, then fuel delivery, then exhaust, then valve train and timing - too often people jump to the fuel issues right away (which it certainly could be, but I'm just giving your general priorities).<p>Below is a snip from a message reply I posted in the 240 section a couple of weeks ago - it mentions some causes of "mystery" problems:<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>By the way, George Dill mentioned exhaust clogs, which I left out of my incomplete list - absolutely possible. Aside from normal clogged mufflers, the innards of the catalytic converter can detach and clump up into a kind of foil ball - then it rolls around and intermittently clogs the exhaust. Other weird issues - the AMM intake hose can get weak and collapse under vacuum during hard acceleration, choking off the intake. Also, if the engine mounts are shot, the large engine movement at hard throttle can intermittently detach electrical connections or pinch hoses. ...<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>To these I might add and expand:<br>-Unplug the AMM connector and look for white corrosion on the contacts.<br>-Check the integrity of the all connections to the ignition coil and the distributor.<br>-Attach a timing light and clip the inductive pickup to the center (coil) wire first, rev the engine and look for drop-outs in the flashing. If that looks good, check each individual spark plug wire the same way (will flash at 1/4th the rate). Any sign of drop-out and you have your answer from the ignition.<br>-Look at the intake hose for the collapsing problem under intake vacuum.<p>In general - determine if this problem occurs just from revving the engine past 2K, even slowly, or if it is associated with movement of the engine under torque load, or forward g-force acceleration of the car. If (for example) the car works fine when sitting still, but gives the problem only when driving, then report that back.<p>Good luck - let us know what you find.<br>

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: My volvo just got trouble..HELP (jhalbert)

jhalbert said:
My first guess would be ignition - you should <B>always</B> suspect ignition first...<p>True, the vast majority of the time, BUT, sounds like symptoms of a restricted fuel filter (as well as most of the stuff listed above), and fuel filters are probably the quickest and least expensive thing to diagnose, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to figure out if that's it. For those reasons I'd start there then move to the maze of ignition diagnosis. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: My volvo just got trouble..HELP (WhoaTed)

Failing fuel pump relay and/or its connections, grounds, fuse (corroded), etc.<p>Dawn;<p>Did this ever get fixed?...<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=95541" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=95541</A><p>George Dill<p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts