SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my car had to follow suit and checked another issue on the list - water inside after all day rain. Plenty of water on the mat but nothing on the dashboard, seat, door or the sunroof.

It's on the driver side and this is the only evidence of leak besides the soggy floor:

50502848848_29f4e8e27a_c_d.jpg

I see other people have had similar issues, but I don't think any had a leak where I do (or maybe didn't take pics or describe it). Would it be clogged drain? Or the Windshield issue? Another thing, and I don't know if it's related, I can hear wind on the driver side almost as if the window is not fully closed but it is.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That's likely a clogged drain. Open the sunroof and check the sunroof tray for debris. I've had many people with just debris in the tray.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's likely a clogged drain. Open the sunroof and check the sunroof tray for debris. I've had many people with just debris in the tray.
I don't see any debris...or is this the right place to look:

50503184263_6796b5e02d_c_d.jpg

·
Registered
2012 S60 T5
61 Posts
That's the right area to check.

With the car in the dark use a light to look toward upper left corner of area in that shot. You should see an open hole to the left and forward of the sunroof track. The opening to the tube is hard to see behind the track. The track is just to the left of the pop rivet in that picture.

The clog could be either at the inlet to the drain tube that runs down the A-pillar or it might be further down the drain tube.

In case you want to check for debris in the tube use a turkey baster to feed some water into that drain tube. It should run directly to the ground, not back up into the tray for more than a few seconds if at all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check again tomorrow, but wanted to point out that the tracks and basically the whole are under the sunroof was dry with the exception of the three (dark) spots visible on the pic above to the very left.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I just wanted to point out that you don't need to see debris in the area to not suspect a clog. Fine dirt can travel down the drain tube begin to collect and create a clog. That being said it might not be a clog in the sunroof drain if that area is totally dry. I remember reading about an issue with glue used for the windshield. My dealer had removed and resealed my windshield when they noticed a leak during a service visit. It wasn't at the headliner though, somewhere lower. I think there's a TSB on this.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Pour some water in there and see how fast it drains. Compare it to the other side. Also, is the pop up screen dirty? That's usually a tell tale sign there's a clog.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pour some water in there and see how fast it drains. Compare it to the other side. Also, is the pop up screen dirty? That's usually a tell tale sign there's a clog.
No success. The drain holes in the sunroof are clean. I poured some water in slowly and eventually a half a bottle - about 4-5 oz and could hear the water trickling down until it came out under the car. It took a few seconds to come out and I can't tell if the same amount came out but I don't think the problem is in the sunroof drain. It didn't rain that much when the issue occurred but it rained for good 20 hours and the mat is totally sagged. If it was the sunroof drain, there would've been tons of water stains in the headliner, no?

Also I have to mention - the car was on my driveway with an incline down towards the front

What about this? Is there supposed to be this much gap in the liner/seal?:

50505770701_9b460e5dac_c_d.jpg

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
No success. The drain holes in the sunroof are clean. I poured some water in slowly and eventually a half a bottle - about 4-5 oz and could hear the water trickling down until it came out under the car. It took a few seconds to come out and I can't tell if the same amount came out but I don't think the problem is in the sunroof drain. It didn't rain that much when the issue occurred but it rained for good 20 hours and the mat is totally sagged. If it was the sunroof drain, there would've been tons of water stains in the headliner, no?

Also I have to mention - the car was on my driveway with an incline down towards the front

What about this? Is there supposed to be this much gap in the liner/seal?:

View attachment 70323
No necessarily. I know that P1 (S40/V50/C30) sunroof drains are very prone to clogging and people reported exactly what you are. No sign of water in the headliner but the floor is soaked. If you pull the pillar trim piece you will likely see the issue.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Yep - pull the A pillar trim (the piece that runs from the headliner down the windshield). If it's like the P1 platform, it will pop out but be careful - it is still attached by plastic cables/ties. Do this at your own risk since the airbag is in there. Maybe someone who has removed this can speak to its ease of removal?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep - pull the A pillar trim (the piece that runs from the headliner down the windshield). If it's like the P1 platform, it will pop out but be careful - it is still attached by plastic cables/ties. Do this at your own risk since the airbag is in there. Maybe someone who has removed this can speak to its ease of removal?
Yeah I'll research how to do this properly but the a-pillar is not wet, it's above it near the joint

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I still suspect a slow drain. Remove the battery covers and look behind the wiper motor assembly to see if you can see where the drain sticks out (I forgot which years it was there). If you can see it and have some long cutters, cut the end off so it is fully open.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T5
61 Posts
About the loose windshield trim. In most cars that's not where the windshield is sealed to the body; it's only for looks and maybe for wind noise, too.

Verify the non-clog situation. And consider the possibility you have a broken/leaky or partially disconnected sunroof drain hose.

As already suggested pulling the A-pillar trim may show this. I'm not sure if that hose runs in the cavity of the A-pillar or on the interior side of it. You'll see one way or the other.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still suspect a slow drain. Remove the battery covers and look behind the wiper motor assembly to see if you can see where the drain sticks out (I forgot which years it was there). If you can see it and have some long cutters, cut the end off so it is fully open.
You might be right, I see water in there (red circle):
50505433033_3aa9db5eb5_w_d.jpg

Can you point out to me where the drain is? And if how do you remove these knobs (blue arrows)?

50505425418_b32ff09319_w_d.jpg

·
Registered
2012 S60 T5
61 Posts
....how do you remove these knobs (blue arrows)?
Those are non-threaded trim retainers.

Use a thin knife, razor tool or pick tool to lift edges of the round cap. Pull it straight up from the body of the black plastic retainer. When it's all the way up then you can pull out the rest of the conical retainer or the trim piece that it's retaining. If you do it right it's reusable.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Captain Tom... more progress...

Tech - I see the sucker now, besides cutting it, how else can I unclog it?

50506233456_44551b7539_z.jpg

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That's it. Doesn't look to be badly clogged but could still be partially clogged, which would eventually allow water to backup into the sunroof tray and overflow it. I cut the end off so there is no restriction at the end and it allows it to flow freely, reducing the chance of a clog.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This has turner into a funny science experiment. I had my son pour water in the sunroof drain as much as he could without overfilling it and I watched it come out freely from the end of the hose in the picture.

However, water started dripping from under the car under the passenger door. This doesn't seem normal, does it? :confused:

At this point I don't think my issue is resolved.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts