SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last week or so I've been getting P0089 codes. I had the same code pop up a few times a couple years ago but it stopped doing that and I never looked into it. I replaced the sensor last week and still getting the code popping up on occasion. Reading back through some other Volvo threads its looking more like pump issues. According to Torque app the pressures look to be ok but I've never been able to catch it when the code comes in. I've just been resetting it through Torque for now. Interestingly, Torque says that P0089 is a "suction control valve" problem, whatever that might be. With a new sensor it looks like the most likely problems are fuel pump, PEM, or wiring. The PEM relocation has been done on mine so shouldnt be an issue and I'd rather deal with a fuel pump before tracing wires.

My cousin, who is a mechanic, transferred from the GM side to the Volvo side at the dealership he works at and I remember him telling me last year they have been doing a lot of fuel pump and tank replacements lately. Everything inside is getting coated with some kind of white stuff. This leads me to believe that its happened to mine and the pump is my issue. Now to decide if I want to pay for him to deal with it or lay in a parking lot doing it myself.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
AWD is not fun. You might consider paying this time of year...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unless the tank straddles the driveshaft (two fuel pumps???), I don't see why it would be that difficult. I never really spent time looking at the fuel tank, but it seems like it's more on the right side, under the rear seat. Am I wrong there?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No noise that I've noticed, so far just the code. But then the pump on my Rodeo has been loudly whining for the 10 years I've owned it and still going, so I dont really pay much attention to noises. I think it may be more of an issue with the filter than the actual pump but cant replace just the filter.

As far as difficulty, I dont think the tank its self is that bad from what I have read but there is a bunch of stuff in the way that has to be removed to drop it all the way out. You would think in this day and age all cars would have accesses in the floor.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You would think in this day and age all cars would have accesses in the floor.
Why not make one? I did in my cargo van....

That was a joke...please don't cut your car. But I really did in my van.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My friend I am in a same boat as you and so far have no idea how to go about the drive shaft/rear differential since that is in the way of getting to the fuel pump. If anyone has a guide or advice that would be great. I have a 2006 s40 T5 AWD.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoping my issue turns out to just be moisture/corrosion in a wiring plug. Was trying to remember earlier today if the CEL started showing up the same time that car wash filled my headlight with moisture. It was around the same time but dont remember if it was before or after. I rarely drive on the highway but had about a 20 mile drive on it today to get a new battery (starting to struggle in the mornings and its not that cold yet). After replacing the battery the CEL was off (ecu reset) and stayed off all the way home. Usually it pops up a few minutes after I start driving. Will see if it pops up again tomorrow.

Regardless, I know I'm going to have to replace the pump at some point.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3 days of no CEL after the battery replacement. I think it has less to do with the new battery and more to do with the highway run drying out a wiring connector. Now the fun part of finding which one it is and cleaning/water proofing. Hopefully I can put it off until spring when there is nicer weather.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Not much wiring is actually exposed. Clean & dielectric your jumper at the old PEM location.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts