SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted a little of this elsewhere, but I need to vent about the full experience.

Have had this 2017 T8 for less than a month, it's the replacement for my 2016 T8 that was riddled with problems. Two weeks ago I was having the 12V battery error message, took it in to dealer and they supposedly fixed the software on 1/11. Then 1/20 it happened again, still drove to work, after work (with a full charge) it had an error with ESC, lane keeping aid, pilot assist, and wouldn't drive in electric mode. Drove it to the gym and after ~1 hr it started back up with no errors at all. Drove home and plugged it in, went away for weekend (took husband's car).

This morning tried unplugging to go to work at 6:15am and car was completely dead. So I call VOC, they arrange for a tow truck. Twenty min later, new tow truck arranged because 1st cancelled (and ETA shifted out by about 30 min). Then got call from VOC saying if my car can't be put into neutral they'll need to send a different tow truck because they will otherwise not be able to get it on a flatbed. I asked why they couldn't just jump the vehicle and put it into neutral and the woman said that they don't recommend the T8 get jumped but that she'd call me back (never did). VOC also never contacted my dealership because they never answered the phone. I called about 13 times this morning, mostly to get a loaner vehicle to get myself to work. Most times I got voicemails or was transferred to the local Audi dealership because they are owned by the same people - I'd complain to Audi about no one answering at Volvo and they'd say "that's because there's only one person there". Someone finally called to say someone would be dropping off a car at 8am. So the 2nd tow truck arrives at 8:05 and we try to jump it. Apparently under the hood it directed him to the battery in the back of the vehicle. However you can't access the back of the vehicle if there is NO POWER TO OPERATE THE LIFT GATE! Horrible design flaw to have no manual override. So I crawl into the back of the car but I have the snap in cargo cover and the snaps are wedged underneath the closed liftgate! So with a flathead screwdriver I pop the snaps and yank it free. Then we're pulling out the covers on the cargo floor to find the battery, I assume you can just jump it via the 12V outlet, tow driver doesn't have the appropriate equipment to use that so we have to go old-school. We try to look in the manual for location of the 12V battery and can't access the glove compartment because there is NO POWER. Thankfully I still had the manual for the 2016 in the house (not sure why) so the driver tried to look it up while I continued to investigate. Then he climbed in after he couldn't find anything in the manual and started disassembling the side panel by the 12V outlet until get got to the fuse box. He assumed that was the battery and hooked up the jumper cables while I called VOC back to find out if they could tell us where the battery was. VOC put me on hold to call my dealer's service department - so I was on hold for 15 min because as earlier established, they don't answer phones! Eventually a service person from a different dealership called me and spoke to the tow driver and we discovered it's on the drivers side, not the passenger side. Finally got it jumped, was able to disconnect the car from the wall charger, got the car on the tow truck. Now it's 9am and I still don't have the loaner car from the dealership. I call the dealership about 3-4 times, keep getting voicemails, decide to just catch a ride with the tow truck. Finally get a call from the general manager as we're driving to the dealership that the loaner vehicle is on it's way, I tell him to turn it around because I'm coming to them. I get there, try to speak to the general manager to express my frustration in their inability to answer phone calls, and he's "not around" but will supposedly call me. No idea when the car will be ready... And got into work 3.5 hours later than I needed to.

A special thank you to Yannis for helping me navigate some of this headache this morning when I was unable to speak to anyone at the dealership.

In summary:
- VOC is a mess, they need to have some sort of basic technical knowledge of the vehicles, there needs to be some reliability that they will facilitate a tow in a reasonable amount of time!
- Volvo needs to find an easier way to manually open the glove compartment and rear lift gate if there is no power in the vehicle. Maybe add a little notation in rear cargo area for location of battery??
- Dealerships need to answer their phones, the excuse of "one person there" seemed pretty tough to swallow when you show up and there are at least 20 individuals working there.
- Yannis rocks

I've had more than my share of bad luck with the XC90 T8, I think what bothers me the most is the frequent errors that may or may not be real, may or may not leave you unexpectedly stranded. I want to trust the vehicle that I drive, that I drive my kids in. My husband bought a Jeep Wrangler a year before we bought this, he's had no issues whatsoever and Jeep is not known for reliability.

Thanks for allowing me to vent....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Wow. What a mess. I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. Bad service gives a bad name to any brand. Hopefully, your dealership will learn to treat customers more appropriately.

Suggestion: download the manual app to your phone that way you *always* have the manual handy.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience. Hope things improve. Being in SoCal helps as you have a strong resource not available to other regions. Hint, rhymes with "Janice" ;)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Ugh, sorry to hear about your experience (especially given that it comes after presumably enough issues with your first XC90 T8 to cause Volvo to replace it for you). I can definitely empathize with the worry over phantom errors--mine has had error messages running the gamut from brakes to the check engine light to driver aids to TPMS to VOC that are sometimes real but often attributed to software bugs by service.

I second the suggestion to get the manual app on your phone. It's handy. And I have no idea why VOC would tell you they 'don't recommend' jumping T8s. The manual has no such reservations. If there *is* a reason they don't want it jumped, that's particularly egregious given the 12V issues the cars are seeing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If the T8 is jumpable, you would use the front terminals near the start stop battery. The rear battery has a lot going on, with a large sensor clip on top that really would block the positive. The 12V port is dead, i.e. when the car is off, it's off so that would not allow either a jump or charging.

There has been a lot posted on the T8 and the ability to jump it, I have the T6, and it has the standard Volvo front (in the engine bay) jumping terminals. If you have those I would try there next time.

There was also a post in here, (I will look for it in a minute) that shows the way to use the shift lock override on the T8 and T6, the T8 doesn't have a mechanical linkage, all electronic.

The T8 should charge both the main battery (the one which runs the two electronic engines) and both car batteries, front (start/stop) and rear main start battery when you are using the 220 V plug, however if you are on a 120V it may take a lot longer to charge everything.

VOC I have found knows very little about the XC-90, so I can understand the frustration there. I would check the manual to see if jumping is allowed on the T8. If it is look for the front set of terminals as Volvo has always had something in place so that you don't have to jump from the rear even in cars with only 1 battery which is in the rear like the S80.

Hope they get is figured out soon.

Paul Caldwell

·
Registered
439 Posts
:facepalm: :facepalm: That's terrible. Sorry you've had to go through a second round of craziness. I hope Volvo will take care of you and use this as a learning experience about how not to piss off customers (and scare away potential buyers). There is absolutely no excuse for such ineptitude.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of these issues. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to rely on a normal daily transportation. :(

VOC I have found knows very little about the XC-90
How is this even possible? Seriously. How is this possible?

From a management POV, how is this feasible as a condition of a paid service?

And I realize this is one person's opinion but he's obviously gotten that opinion from somewhere. I know I have been anti-VOC in many ways for a long time but this indicative of the reason I am so anti-VOC. Maybe it's because I'm in Detroit and have seen OnStar work the way it has for the last 20 years and I get accustomed to things working properly.

Volvo, please fix VOC. Please please fix VOC and stop putting the carrot of remote start into VOC as the only way to remote start the vehicle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of these issues. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to rely on a normal daily transportation. :(

And I realize this is one person's opinion but he's obviously gotten that opinion from somewhere. I know I have been anti-VOC in many ways for a long time but this indicative of the reason I am so anti-VOC. Maybe it's because I'm in Detroit and have seen OnStar work the way it has for the last 20 years and I get accustomed to things working properly.

Volvo, please fix VOC. Please please fix VOC and stop putting the carrot of remote start into VOC as the only way to remote start the vehicle.
As someone who has had 3 tows for a dead T8, VOC will arrange for a jump - the battery under the hood. To start it I just selected power drive mode. Just tell them to do it and you don't care what Volvo recommends.

VOC is insanely terrible. I waited an entire day to get my third tow. They know nothing about the T8 - clueless as to how to deal with a plugged in car with a dead battery.

·
Registered
527 Posts
VOC knows nothing about the car because Volvo doesn't even have a clue about most things. All the problems are new to them and most of them don't have real solutions. Software fixes a lot but some come back needing an actual repair. I work at a dealership and can tell you first hand how frustrating it is dealing with these cars. Contacting Volvo Tech Line and waiting hours just for them to reply with "perform a battery reset" as if you didn't try that prior to contacting them.
I'm sorry for you're bad luck with the cars. In most cases I see, you either have zero problems what so ever, or you're at the dealership twice a month for all kinds of weird problems.
Hope this gets sorted out!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
But VOC is the first aid for a car not able to move. They should at least know how to jump start a car, just the first step and mostly the only step they need to care.

·
Registered
527 Posts
But VOC is the first aid for a car not able to move. They should at least know how to jump start a car, just the first step and mostly the only step they need to care.
I'm not arguing with you on that one. It is rediculous that the OP couldn't get some kind of instruction from them. I'm just pointing out that they are incompetent in other areas so I'm not surprised at the lack of knowledge/ help on their end. About not being able to access the trunk while the vehicle is dead, that is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time and I completely understand the frustration as I have spent many hours twisted around accessing various modules and performing battery resets back there. :/

·
Registered
60 Posts
VOC knows nothing about the car because Volvo doesn't even have a clue about most things. All the problems are new to them and most of them don't have real solutions. Software fixes a lot but some come back needing an actual repair. I work at a dealership and can tell you first hand how frustrating it is dealing with these cars. Contacting Volvo Tech Line and waiting hours just for them to reply with "perform a battery reset" as if you didn't try that prior to contacting them.
I'm sorry for you're bad luck with the cars. In most cases I see, you either have zero problems what so ever, or you're at the dealership twice a month for all kinds of weird problems.
Hope this gets sorted out!

Yeah they got a little ahead of themselves it seems. I still loved being asked if I lived near a cell phone tower in response to my car battery dying.

·
Registered
222 Posts

HI,

My opinion is coming from the 5 times I have called VOC for issues, each time they basically had less knowledge than I did from just casual driving of the car.

Point, when my 12V battery issue drained the battery down to where I was dead, (could not even unlock the car), VOC was not able to instruct me how to jump the car. I had owned the XC-90 for less than 2 weeks, and since the car was dead, I was not able to open the glove box or rear tail gate. While I was on hold with VOC I was able to find the XC-90 manual and read about the jump process. VOC wanted to send a tow truck, flatbed which was going to take longer, (40 minutes). I asked again about jumping the car and really got nothing from VOC, so when the tow truck arrived, with a jump box, it was no problem to jump the car. Since then I keep a jump box in the car at all times. I was not charged for the trip by the tow truck, but it would have been nice to just jump the car.

VOC error, which now comes up every 3 days or so, usually after a remote start or any process within VOC app. Called them again, (it's a VOC error so I figured that they would know something), no they did not ask for a code, I asked if I could reset the error, (as it was not critical) but again no answer. Take it to the dealer, which seems to be the most common answer.

The service is a great idea and in most cases I guess they are expecting a VOR situation so all for most of those times I guess a dispatch for a tow is the most common solution.

As I write this, my T6 is back at the dealer for several fixes:

1. 12V battery drain
2. FM fix for the rear tailgate drain on battery
3. Sensus reboots while driving (not sure they can fix that just seems part of the deal)
4. Air suspension not lowering when car is turned off immediately, instead waiting as long as 60 seconds
5. Low fuel notification change (not really a problem just an update)

To be honest if they just keep the battery from draining while the car is sitting in my garage I will be most happy.

Paul Caldwell

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah they got a little ahead of themselves it seems. I still loved being asked if I lived near a cell phone tower in response to my car battery dying.
That's a new one. I think my favorite was probably replacing a thermostat and ECM at the same time because the faulty thermostat allegedly "took out" the ECM at a whopping 800 miles. To be fair it did indeed fix the vehicle but whattttt the helllllll

·
Registered
222 Posts
Actually Volvo believes that certain cars, mine included, can be affected by FM station broadcasts (draining the battery) and or Cell towers doing the same thing, IMO if that is the case I made a big mistake in this purchase.

Paul Caldwell

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Actually Volvo believes that certain cars, mine included, can be affected by FM station broadcasts (draining the battery) and or Cell towers doing the same thing, IMO if that is the case I made a big mistake in this purchase.

Paul Caldwell
My understanding is that whatever interference concern there was has largely been eliminated by the redesigned foot kick sensor.

My understanding could be incorrect, but FWIW there it is.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses! I have officially re-downloaded the manual to my phone (not sure why I ever deleted it...?). I do partly blame the tow truck driver who I saw look under the hood while I ran in to get the hard copy manual from the 2016 - he didn't recognize the front terminals and just said "it says the battery is in the back". Though having VOC or the service department rep at the other dealership inform us would have been wonderful.

As far as the FM or cell tower signals draining the battery... I'm shocked :facepalm: ...I guess not as crazy as me thinking this was somehow due to all the rain SoCal has been getting! Have to say there were moments when I couldn't help but laugh - trying to see if that little panel in the liftgate itself maybe hides a manual control for opening (like car trunks have the emergency opening mechanism if someone stuffs you in a trunk). It seems to have no purpose whatsoever!! And yes, it amused me that I was crawling around in the cargo area and we could've just jumped the damned thing under the hood. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Triple face palm... very appropriate. Hope it gets better for you. These cars are great when they work as designed.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Paul Caldwell
That's complete and utter BS, we have 2 T8's one has a low battery issue the other doesn't parked right beside each-other in the same garage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts