SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my wife a new 2004 volvo s60 awd turbo in 2004 - I am so sick and tired of replaceing tires and rims that I've had it. This car has the thor rims with pirelli P6 235/45/17. I've already replaced 3 tires and 1 rim because of slight pothole hits and now i need to replace 3 more tires because of bubbles and cuts from the road. This is the first time in my 50 years here that I've ever had tire problems at all. What other tire should I get because these have to go, they suck and they are expensive. Perhaps its the low profile, but can someone please tell me what I should get and as soon as possible... Should volvo and or pirelli have covered these because the car was purchased new? <p>sincerely <p>pj

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: my tires absolutely suck s60 2.5t awd arghhh (phjohnso)

The warrantor is the manufacturer, Pirelli in this case. Their warranty is only one year though. Also you really do not want to replace such a poor quality tire with yet another one of the same kind.<p>I bought a set of Michelin XGT-Z4 for the summer and a set of Michellin Pilot Sport Alpine for the winter. Both are far better quality than the Pirelli and have better traction too. For this car a XGT-H4 is a good tire if you live where the temperature changes (all season tire) and don't want to buy a set of winter tires too.<p>Be careful to buy the correct load rating, the S60 is quite a heavy car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: my tires absolutely suck s60 2.5t awd arghhh (ss60)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the turbo model should have V or better speed ratings if for no other reason than liability, true?<br>My volvo dealer accidently put XGT H4's on my s70T5 and when I pointed it out to them they swapped them for the XGT V4's at no extra charge at all. (I did pitch a fit about it, so maybe that's why). The H4's on my other S70 NA certainly wore well and lasted a hell of a lot longer than the V4's do on my T5. I have tried the MXV4's on the T5 but they are mushy at highway speeds. Now I am about to put a set of Michelin Hx MXM4's on the T5 V rated of course. We'll see how they wear and perform soon.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: my tires absolutely suck s60 2.5t awd arghhh (pvolvo1800)

Depends how fast you drive. The limits are very low where I live (100kph) so I'd never really thought about it. An H tire is rated to 160-180kph depending on the size and vehicle... which is about the fastest I've ever driven in the Volvo. The benefit of H vs V is that it will wear longer. <p>The XGT-V4s are far better at highway speeds than the MXV4s. They are actually rated as a sports car tire whereas the MXV4 are only rated as a passenger car tire. You could always go to XGT-Z4 like I did, the handling is slightly crisper.<br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts