SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I say? I've had the worst service from BSR, when I finally got my stuff, I was more then happy with the performance, that has proven to be VERY inconsistent. I get about 250 BHP +/- 20 BHP due to unknown variables but mainly temp and fuel (both assumed).

Now after a blow clutch, and waiting 2.5 months for my stage III upgrade I'm just about fed up with BSR and the Volvo aftermarket in general, and S40 performance in specific. Gee 10 weeks, 20 emails, phone calls, 3 post on the BSR web site and no word on my upgrade, yah, nay, wait some more… nothing.

You think these clowns would last a second in Honda tuning? Nope, I pay a rape me price on inconsistent product and pay even more and get ZERO customer service, no product no nothing.

I don't mean to use a broad brush but I see the same thing for any other part or vendor, gang rape prices, ridiculous delay times, limited performance gains. Sorry after having a VW, Camaro, and GS-Rs I know what vendors can deliver and at what price, service etc. This is just plain BULL hookey, the whole "this is a limited market Volvo" so we can rape you, oversell, under deliver, under spec, under ship, under prove, any modification. So far I give the entire Volvo aftermarket a major F, http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif really takes any joy of owning the modding the car away. Buy a Volvo add some mods and just face a whole lot of grief.

Thank god my other two Volvos were bone stock.

BSR sucks and it looks like other vendors do too....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: My third Volvo but my first chipped or modded Volvo and guess what. (Oldman)

Speaking on the issue of customer service.

The Volvo aftermarket customer service is so horrible I cannot even put it into words. I have been very hesitant to voice the numerous problems I have had and are currently having with Evolve and BSR. Depending on what happens with my current Evolve order (one of the worst customer service experiences of my life, Volvo or not), I may just get fed up and let loose

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: My third Volvo but my first chipped or modded Volvo and guess what. (awd)

I don't know, when I got my V50 T5 , I did so with the intent of upgrading. I almost got a 1.8T Jetta wagon with the APR stage 3+ kit in mind. but thought I'd give the V50 T5 a chance, so far NO ONE offers a larger turbo kit, if so like in the ipd TME V70R case it would cost like 12-15 k to offer something like this vs the 2-6 k for a Vw/audi product. just wanted to have something unique , I guess unique also means less support.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: My third Volvo but my first chipped or modded Volvo and guess what. (awd)

hey Awd,
I ended up getting the evolve chip because of all of the problems that the bsr chip caused to my car and was wondering how you liked the evolve chip. Thanks.

-s40 t5 awd
heico springs
k&N filter

·
Registered
247 Posts
trust me oldman i here ya, hearing all the BS recently with modding the S40 is very discouraging. i am inches away from buying a new 2006 Civic SI with Navi for $22,500 or a new 2006 2 door Accord EX V6 6speed for $25,000 ( me just venting a little frustration)

Modified by slo-vo at 11:17 PM 4-19-2006

G

·
Re: My third Volvo but my first chipped or modded Volvo and guess what. (Oldman)

I agree with all you've said. However, I will point out that my dealings with Alan, John, and George have all been good. Alan especially went out of his way to help. Thanks to this forum, I can safely avoid the customer service black holes and patronize the better vendors.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm starting to agree with your theory on the inconsistent performance of the T5 with mods. Yesterday and today my car felt a bit "sluggish". At other times the car feels like a rocket that can barely be contained.

Warmer weather the last two days may be a factor. I did just fill up with fuel as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Re: (jclaib)

Quote, originally posted by jclaib »
I'm starting to agree with your theory on the inconsistent performance of the T5 with mods. Yesterday and today my car felt a bit "sluggish". At other times the car feels like a rocket that can barely be contained.

Warmer weather the last two days may be a factor. I did just fill up with fuel as well.

to be honest with you guys at first i didn't beleive it, then recently i've been tracking how the car feels and watching the speedo closely when under heavy acceleration. now there is days where my speedo goes from 50 to 100 like no ones business and then there's other days where it seems like it take forever to hit 80mph

·
Registered
247 Posts

When sluggish, the car is by no means slow. It's just not as zippy as it usually is.

I need my damn K&N cold air intake!

yeah that would be nice to have a AEM cold air http://********************/smile/emthup.gif, but i sure as hell won't count on it.

·
Registered
247 Posts

My guess is that K&N took a run at a prototype, but found there was very little to no performance gain to be had with the CAI.

yeah the typhoon never made it past the test stage it seems

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Re: (slo-vo)

I bought the S40 with the intention of keeping it stock. But then after reading about BSR I thought I might save up and get a chip after the warranty expired. Yeah... that money is being diverted to the PS3 fund.

I've dealt with this kind of crap in the past and it's not worth it. My S40 is staying stock. It may be slow, it may look boring, but I'll be several thousand richer and happier.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just want to be clear. I am very happy with this car and look forward to driving it everyday. It's fast, and with the sports suspension and high performance tires, it handles very well.

I plan on keeping this car until I can afford an M3 with the competition package.

·
Registered
247 Posts

I just want to be clear. I am very happy with this car and look forward to driving it everyday. It's fast, and with the sports suspension and high performance tires, it handles very well.

I plan on keeping this car until I can afford an M3 with the competition package.

I need a ride in your car to see what the BSR stage 2 feels like
, hoping the AWD doesn't slow me down to much

·
Registered
247 Posts

Well hopefully we'll be having a meet this summer at the NH track where we can hang out and run some 1/4 miles.

Sounds good for me, let me know when........... i have my K&N drop in and got 4 weeks left till my Eurosport exhaust ships out so next for for me would be BSR stage 2

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: (slo-vo)

Not meaning to pour salt on an open wound, but sometimes you get burned being the early adopter. BSR and Evolve got to market before Ipd (heck, Ipd is still in process with their upgrade for the S40/V50), but you are likely seeing the fruits of rushed development.

Caveat emptor

·
Registered
324 Posts
Re: (avolvofan)

Sounds to me like the guys complaining should just go and buy a Honda then. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.....

Me, I bought my V50 T5 AWD for lots of reasons, not just going fast in a straight line. That is not what these cars are built for, and honestly I'm surprised that ANYONE makes anything for them. I love mine in bone stock, fully loaded trim. If all I wanted to do was drag my knuckles at the drag strip, I would have bought a Mustang!

Al

·
Registered
247 Posts
Re: (Al Canuck)

Quote, originally posted by Al Canuck »
Sounds to me like the guys complaining should just go and buy a Honda then. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.....

Me, I bought my V50 T5 AWD for lots of reasons, not just going fast in a straight line. That is not what these cars are built for, and honestly I'm surprised that ANYONE makes anything for them. I love mine in bone stock, fully loaded trim. If all I wanted to do was drag my knuckles at the drag strip, I would have bought a Mustang!

Al

That's great that you are happy with your stock V50 but maybe some of us would like to add maybe just a little better performance based characterristics to the car. no way in hell am i looking for a drag car out of the S40 nor has anyone said that on this thread yet . the extra hp gains from alot of the aftermarket company's so far are well below exspectations compared to lets say a S60 or 850 turbo just for comparion matter. As far as the Honda comment goes and the door.................. their was no need for a comment like that
http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

1 - 20 of 97 Posts