SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
first of all hi to the forum!

took delivery of a uk T8 in late December, was ordered at end of October so time period was fine.

spec is as follows

22" 5 double spoke diamond cut/matt black alloy wheels
Apple CarPlay
Carbon fibre inlay
Contour sports perforated nappa soft leather upholstery
Family Pack
Four corner electronic air suspension
Intellisafe pro pack
Leather Door Panels
Premium metallic - Bursting blue
Sensus connect navigation with premium sound
Winterpack with head up display
Xenium Pack

Couple of thoughts so far.

I went for this due to the the company car tax, which works on emissions not economy so i am saving a shed load of money coming from a bmw 530d. I like the way it drives, a different experience to the BMW but very relaxed and plenty of power. I love the interior, the way looks and the B&W stereo is fantastic. In my opinion the sensus system is a bit too clever for its own good endless scrolling through menus to change anything. I have also had connectivity issues but they seem to of been solved by a software enhancement at the main dealers.My BMW had 'hot-keys' which you could programme to anything, sat nav destination, radio station dial a specific number etc. I really miss these. Car play is great but i use the deezer app which is a little temperamental.

One thing i cant stand is the brightness of the displays which are blindingly bright, you can adjust it at night but as soon as it adjusts to day mode you cant adjust it. I don't get this because during bright sunshine then overcast conditions are when you would want to adjust it. At the moment when i drive to work the display changes when the auto-lights deactivate. I have to then put the sat nav in night mode so it is not too bright. If any one else has had this issue or knows a fix i'd be keen to hear it.

Economy is not great. I am getting about 27mpg but this doesn't affect me as i pay tax for a fuel card. (bizzare uk tax regime)

i'll post more later

cheers

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Looks fantastic. The 22-inch wheels really look good!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Must be a bit hard to drive on such thin tyres ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fantastic car. Your delivery lead time is shockingly short.
Have you gone around concrete sections of m25 yet? Everyone on 20s gets unbearable resonance in the car. Whilst one would expect even worse on 22s, a) t8 being a bit heavier and having slightly different arrangements in the back might mitigate that b) Pirelli tyres vs contis on 20in could mean you don't get the any noise to resonate in the car in the first place.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Looks great, I love the 22" wheels but I really don't want to own another vehicle with low profile tires while living in the Houston area. This place sucks with all the deep potholes we have around here. I've replaced several run flats on my wife's BMW 750LI, 550I, and also on my previous S60R. I'm about over these types of wheels and tires but man they do look good.

I love that color, the more I see them the more I'm beginning to like it, very nice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had no problems so far but can't recall being on a concrete surface. I've got the air suspension and that helps, plus I'm used to stiff cars, my last one was a slightly lowered 5 series on 20" wheels. I drove the non-air r design on 20's on demo and it was not quite as nice to drive for me personally.

Cheers for the comments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
:partywave:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you ever charge it, or is the MPG only based on hybrid use?

We charge in the evening (USA, on 120 Volt) and have driven 300 miles so far...on the first half-tank.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 40 mile commute and charge at work it not overnight at home. I'm getting about 250miles/tank
Interesting. Along with driving style (I would flog an R!), I'd imagine the key here is the distance of the commute vs the charge in the batteries. Most of our drives are about 12-15 miles, and we can do these -- depending on conditions -- about 95 on battery. What mode do you drive in? Do you switch modes, for example, coming into town?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 40 mile commute and charge at work it not overnight at home. I'm getting about 250miles/tank
I noticed the T8 tank is only 13.2 gallons vs 18.8 gallons for the T6. For longer commutes and for road trips, this results in a significantly shorter range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tend to start in hybrid to get to the motorway. Once there I use hybrid/power whic to be honest makes very little difference to economy at motorway speeds. The small tank is a bit annoying, I'm at the petrol station 2/3 times a week instead of one. Still when I'm at the pump at least it's not for long! For me personally the hybrid system makes very little sense when compared with say the 3 & 4 litre Audi/bmw suv's. Nevertheless the tax saving is equivalent to a £10k salary hike and the torque from the electric motor in power mode is properly good fun. :)

If my commute was say 15-20 miles I think there would be a world of difference in economy. At the moment once the battery is flat it's just extra weight and drag to the drivetrain.

I still love it though!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I understand its not a big deal to you but just curious, is there any way for you to charge at home as well? Seems like it might make a really big difference especially since the 2-3 stops for gas each week seem to be a bummer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have off street parking at present although that is likely to change soon. I sometimes park directly outside (in fact it's charging at the moment) but no guarantee. I think it's the distance I drive to work that is the issue. Volvo will sell a lot of these vehicle on company car lease schemes due to tax but if I was buying it myself it would be harder to justify

·
Registered
58 Posts
Was this a typo for 350? You say you're getting 27mpg and it is a 13gallon tank. That would be around 350 miles.

Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
He probably doesn't run the tank to empty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I never run it that low. I heard the reserve is a bit small! My Volvo oncall app says 24.6mpg so far. It is creeping up though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, I never run it that low. I heard the reserve is a bit small! My Volvo oncall app says 24.6mpg so far. It is creeping up though.
As it turns out, the gas pedal on the UK version is significantly heavier.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts