SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hadn't any need to mess with my car before, but now that I'm installing the oil filter housing, I noticed that the pipe is not bolted on, the bolts are missing. Whoever worked the car before left it like this.

Where can I find the correct bolt sizes? I'm assuming they could be 10 mm units similar to the ones that hold the oil filter housing...

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I hadn't any need to mess with my car before, but now that I'm installing the oil filter housing, I noticed that the pipe is not bolted on, the bolts are missing. Whoever worked the car before left it like this.

Where can I find the correct bolt sizes? I'm assuming they could be 10 mm units similar to the ones that hold the oil filter housing...

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
They are the 10 mm head bolts, but I don't know if the size of the head always equates to the size of the thread.

·
Registered
298 Posts
DON'T BOLT IT! That pipe is pretty thin and the brackets are fused on with heat, making a nice point to concentrate stress. The pipe will likely crack at the bracket. I know from experience. I removed the bolts on mine many miles ago and I'd be wiling to bet the previous owner took them out on your car when they had to replaced the pipe after it cracked. The pipe is not going anywhere so don't worry about it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DON'T BOLT IT! That pipe is pretty thin and the brackets are fused on with heat, making a nice point to concentrate stress. The pipe will likely crack at the bracket. I know from experience. I removed the bolts on mine many miles ago and I'd be wiling to bet the previous owner took them out on your car when they had to replaced the pipe after it cracked. The pipe is not going anywhere so don't worry about it.
Interesting... So I shouldn't worry then? Neat. This forum is so damn good. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Just to clarify, you're referring to the pipe running from the intake box to the turbo, right?

I'd just leave it unbolted as well. So long as it's secured well to the rubber hose leading to the turbo, and the MAF sensor, you're fine. It's a light weight little pipe, it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify, you're referring to the pipe running from the intake box to the turbo, right?

I'd just leave it unbolted as well. So long as it's secured well to the rubber hose leading to the turbo, and the MAF sensor, you're fine. It's a light weight little pipe, it's not going anywhere.
Yes, that one. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Huh. Mine appears to be original, bolted, now with almost 130k on it and no cracking. You guys must be running your t5's hard

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Yeah, I'd say bolt it down.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mine is missing the harder to get to bolt but the one on top of the valve cover is bolted down. No crack so far.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
They crack because A - They're cheap plastic that look like they're half injection molded pieces put together (most definitely made in CHINAAAAA). B - You've got cold air going through the inside and the outside is subject to 250*F or better heat nearly in contact with the tube.

Mine had a new one put on it when I bought it as it had cracked with the previous owner.

Definitely going to get a SNABB when I can to change the plastic to metal, or I might get the FCPEuro one for the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
They crack because A - They're cheap plastic that look like they're half injection molded pieces put together (most definitely made in CHINAAAAA). B - You've got cold air going through the inside and the outside is subject to 250*F or better heat nearly in contact with the tube.

Mine had a new one put on it when I bought it as it had cracked with the previous owner.

Definitely going to get a SNABB when I can to change the plastic to metal, or I might get the FCPEuro one for the lifetime warranty.
Just installed my Snabb pipe this weekend. Nice sound when I get on the throttle. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts