SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped the car off on Friday at about noon. The dealer said it should take about 1.5 to 2 hours for the software update and CarPlay update. He said they can download once and use it on multiple cars so they don't need to do the massive 20GB download every time (which adds hours to the install).

The update went flawlessly first time. Both the software update and the CarPlay update. He said they had an issue with one car where there was a minor issue with the suspension after the update but they were able to fix it quickly with guidance from VNA. Otherwise he said they've had no problems with applying the update.

The main software update package fixed all the bugs I'm aware of (seat adjustment screen, HUD display, media flashing in driver display, etc). It also added a few things such as:
  • You can now select 360 cam when backing up rather than just backup cam.
  • There are additional options in the driver display option menu (the menu that comes up in the driver display when you click the button on the steering wheel under the voice button). You can now configure what shows up in the driver display (i.e. Remove trip computer, etc)
  • Overall the maps became more detailed for my area.
  • Performance of the VOC app (remote start, lock/unlock) seems to be more reliable now.
  • I've had a few instances where the internal modem dropped the connection and it wouldn't come back for a while. Not sure if this is the same issue Citivas and Paradox are having with their FEs, but about 80% of the time the modem works for me. Sometimes it just drops. I don't use it that often and can always use internet through my phone if necessary, but it's a bit of a mystery.

With those fixes honestly CarPlay became less important to me. When I was first shopping for a car, CarPlay was a required feature. Now that I have it I'm not as excited. A few notes:
  • The CarPlay interface is nice, but it doesn't match the XC90 interface very well. It's bigger and more bubblegum like with colors and shapes.
  • The Volvo Phone interface is better than the CarPlay phone interface.
  • I set my volvo maps to always use night mode, I think it looks really well in the dark dash. CarPlay maps were too bright.
  • CarPlay business data and mapping data was much more accurate.
  • Siri is of course better than the Volvo voice system.
  • I wish it was wireless. Plugging in is a pain, but I'll admit that the sound over USB sounded better than BT

Overall, I'm very satisfied. The update was smooth. No issues. And I really love this car. I mean REALLY love it. Those bugs were annoying and preventing me from fully enjoying it. Now I'm much happier.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thank you for the very useful update. I have an appointment for next Saturday and I have been debating what to do. I fell better after your post but still I will call in a few days to have a serious conversation with the service, and then decide to keep or cancel the appointment.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
8-track;2923209[* said:
I've had a few instances where the internal modem dropped the connection and it wouldn't come back for a while. Not sure if this is the same issue Citivas and Paradox are having with their FEs, but about 80% of the time the modem works for me. Sometimes it just drops. I don't use it that often and can always use internet through my phone if necessary, but it's a bit of a mystery.
[/LIST]
When the connection drops it is not because of the modem but either the signal is weak at that particular moment or there is interruption through the At&t cloud services.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Great to see yours is done as expected. Also glad to see your dealer has had quite smooth experience applying the updates.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
8track, did you not have 360 cameras before? I had them fully functional as well as the settings you describe in the adaptive display -trip odo view etc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the connection drops it is not because of the modem but either the signal is weak at that particular moment or there is interruption through the At&t cloud services.
That's why I thought, it just seems to be very sudden - I go from 5 bars to zero instantly. And it could be in the same location. For example, I pulled into my house last night with zero bars. No internet, then this morning in the exact same location I turn on my car and it's 5 bars. Strange...Maybe AT&T is just having issues this weekend.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8track, did you not have 360 cameras before? I had them fully functional as well as the settings you describe in the adaptive display -trip odo view etc.
I had 360 cameras before, but they weren't the default when I put it in reverse. When I first got my car in June, 360 was the default. Then I got the software update in August and it defaulted to backup and there wasn't a way to change it. Now with the November update I can change it.

Perhaps i just missed it in the settings before...

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
  • I've had a few instances where the internal modem dropped the connection and it wouldn't come back for a while. Not sure if this is the same issue Citivas and Paradox are having with their FEs, but about 80% of the time the modem works for me. Sometimes it just drops. I don't use it that often and can always use internet through my phone if necessary, but it's a bit of a mystery.
Not our issue, our internal modems simply don't work after the update. It'll show bars of service next to the sim card icon but no data actually gets transmitted so we cannot use any of the cars built in apps, we cannot make a hotspot within the car and we cannot use the new Inrix real time traffic in the nav because it needs this data connection.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I had 360 cameras before, but they weren't the default when I put it in reverse. When I first got my car in June, 360 was the default. Then I got the software update in August and it defaulted to backup and there wasn't a way to change it. Now with the November update I can change it.

Perhaps i just missed it in the settings before...
What do you mean by "default"? You mean when you shift into Reverse it assumes to be in 360 mode instead of backup camera? I haven't seen this. Since day one, I get backup camera by default with a virtual button below the camera image to switch to 360.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
What do you mean by "default"? You mean when you shift into Reverse it assumes to be in 360 mode instead of backup camera? I haven't seen this. Since day one, I get backup camera by default with a virtual button below the camera image to switch to 360.
Since I picked up my car in early October, I've always had an option in Settings to change the desired camera for reversing - either backup only or 360.
I tried 360 for a few days and didn't like it - so I only use backup when in reverse.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Since I picked up my car in early October, I've always had an option in Settings to change the desired camera for reversing - either backup only or 360.
I tried 360 for a few days and didn't like it - so I only use backup when in reverse.
This is what I have. I like the 360 so I keep it set at that. But fwiw it came set that way and I've had no issues with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yeah, mine came set to 360 degree view in reverse but there is a setting that's been there since I got mine that allows you to select 360 view or rear cam view when the car is placed into reverse.

It'd be harder to do on this screen I guess but I did like the way my prior Infiniti QX60 did it and that was it showed the 360 degree view on the left side of the screen and the rear camera view on the right side of the screen, both at the same time. That was the best of both worlds at once IMO.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yeah, mine came set to 360 degree view in reverse but there is a setting that's been there since I got mine that allows you to select 360 view or rear cam view when the car is placed into reverse.

It'd be harder to do on this screen I guess but I did like the way my prior Infiniti QX60 did it and that was it showed the 360 degree view on the left side of the screen and the rear camera view on the right side of the screen, both at the same time. That was the best of both worlds at once IMO.
I wish that Sensus when the parking sensors detect an obstacle would activate the vision package when equipped.
Imagine if instead of the below, you got that overlaid the actual car with the color coded sensor readings and actual camera output.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the updated info! Nice to get so much good stuff from you early adopters. Anyone find a good hitch solution yet?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I picked up my first edition when I put it in reverse it went to 360 mode (with the option to change to backup cam via virtual button). After my September software update it went to backup cam (with the option to change to 360 via virtual button). I didn't realize that was a setting I could change until the November update. Apparently it was there all along and I missed it. I really prefer the 360 by default.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the updated info! Nice to get so much good stuff from you early adopters. Anyone find a good hitch solution yet?
I went ahead and used the default hitch for North America (where they cut out the bumper). I wish there were a different option but I don't even see it anymore. It looks just fine to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my xc90 upgraded 3 weeks ago and the car is still inn the garage. It broke down volvos remote upgrade system world wide and they still have no fix yet. Im super happy with the car itself but all software issues is annoying. El chair, cam, foot heater etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had my xc90 upgraded 3 weeks ago and the car is still inn the garage. It broke down volvos remote upgrade system world wide and they still have no fix yet. Im super happy with the car itself but all software issues is annoying. El chair, cam, foot heater etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same for me...will be 4 weeks on Friday. I am ready to have the conversation of Volvo buying me out of the car. We loved the car, but it doesn't do us much good sitting in the shop for a month. Especially when they have made no headway in finding a solution. I can't understand why some cars are have zero issues with the update; but others are having rather significant issues with updating. There has to be something that my dealership is/or isn't doing during the update process to cause the issues.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dropped the car off on Friday at about noon. The dealer said it should take about 1.5 to 2 hours for the software update and CarPlay update. He said they can download once and use it on multiple cars so they don't need to do the massive 20GB download every time (which adds hours to the install).

The update went flawlessly first time. Both the software update and the CarPlay update. He said they had an issue with one car where there was a minor issue with the suspension after the update but they were able to fix it quickly with guidance from VNA. Otherwise he said they've had no problems with applying the update.

The main software update package fixed all the bugs I'm aware of (seat adjustment screen, HUD display, media flashing in driver display, etc). It also added a few things such as:
  • You can now select 360 cam when backing up rather than just backup cam.
  • There are additional options in the driver display option menu (the menu that comes up in the driver display when you click the button on the steering wheel under the voice button). You can now configure what shows up in the driver display (i.e. Remove trip computer, etc)
  • Overall the maps became more detailed for my area.
  • Performance of the VOC app (remote start, lock/unlock) seems to be more reliable now.

With those fixes honestly CarPlay became less important to me. When I was first shopping for a car, CarPlay was a required feature. Now that I have it I'm not as excited. A few notes:
  • The CarPlay interface is nice, but it doesn't match the XC90 interface very well. It's bigger and more bubblegum like with colors and shapes.
  • The Volvo Phone interface is better than the CarPlay phone interface.
  • I set my volvo maps to always use night mode, I think it looks really well in the dark dash. CarPlay maps were too bright.
  • CarPlay business data and mapping data was much more accurate.
  • Siri is of course better than the Volvo voice system.
  • I wish it was wireless. Plugging in is a pain, but I'll admit that the sound over USB sounded better than BT

Overall, I'm very satisfied. The update was smooth. No issues. And I really love this car. I mean REALLY love it. Those bugs were annoying and preventing me from fully enjoying it. Now I'm much happier.
The SUV is fantastic and I am pleased that you have a dealer who knows how to save and install the download, and that it is working for you. 20 Gig is not that big -- you can save it to a $10 USB drive -- and the actual download should just take about 30 minutes or so. A much lengthier download time may point to issues with Volvo, which needs to up its technology game.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts