SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I have been driving my S60 D4 s for a good month now, a bit short of 5000km (3100 miles), and I have tried every button and option in the menus. Time for a first verdict. My previous car was a VW Eos convertible, which I owned for nearly 9 years. Comparing the two therefore is inevitable.

I do miss some things that the Eos had. Mind you, none of these are anywhere near to important or spoiling the fun, but I want to list them anyway:

• The metal folding roof. It's winter time (sort of) now anyway, so no desire to drive with the roof folded at all, but there will be moments come summer time when I'll think back to the roof folding mechanism of the Eos that kept me amazed every time for the full nine years. But choosing a non-convertible car in the S60 was a conscious decision, and there is nothing more to say on that. Driving with the roof tucked away in the trunk was nice as long as it lasted. And...believe it or not, the misses never liked it anyway...
  • The glass roof panel. The whole front of the roof is made of glass in the Eos, not the much smaller sunroof in the S60. The sunroof is okay for letting in daylight, but the Eos glass roof gave a much more spacious feeling inside the cabin. I haven't driven the S60 yet with the sunroof tilted or slid open.
  • Finding a good seating position. That took me a couple of weeks, but now I'm comfortable, finally. Probably also because the seat is broken in a bit now and better adjust to my body. The seat memory function was a great help trying different settings and switching back and forth! At one point I even started to have my doubts about these seats, but since everybody else who had a sit in my car was immediately euphoric about the seats...it was apparently me and not the seats itself. And I still remembered that in the early Eos days too it took some time to get used to the seats, after that I could drive for hours on end without the slightest back or bum issues.
  • Trunk space. That was something of an issue with Eos, because of the folding roof and such. But now my S60 doesn't have that much more trunk space, without having to cater for a folding roof. Having a spare wheel there with the raised trunk floor, doesn't help either. Ah well, a small price to pay for wanting a S60 and not a V60. Maybe I'll buy myself some roof racks and a slick cargo box, come holiday time.
  • Coming home / leaving home. Not that I hardly ever use it, but these two functions were more intuitive in the Eos: when dim enough outside, the lights would come on whenever you unlocked the car with the remote, and would stay on for a while whenever the car was locked from the outside again. With the S60 I have to press another button on the remote, and use the light handle before leaving the car. In a way I do get Volvo's rationale for doing this, and I do like manual control versus always on or nothing at all. And as I said: I hardly ever use it.
  • Slow dipping mirrors when going in reverse gear. That was not a standard feature of my Eos, but I had a hardware module inserted into the electronics which allowed this. The mirrors reacted really fast and stayed dipped for a couple of seconds when going in forward gear again. I found the S60 mirrors dipping much too slow, and when moving back and forth a couple of times when parking in a narrow spot, the mirrors keep moving up and down without ever catching up! Besides that the right mirror doesn't even dip down far enough, it just moves in all the way and then stops. I searched for a way to set it properly, but no good answer was found. I'll ask my dealer the first time I get there for a service. Anyway, as I said the mirrors are too slow to be of any practical use anyway, and with the rear view camera being a great feature I don't even need the dipping mirrors and disabled the feature in the menu. But is does amaze me that Volvo hasn't done a better job with this.
  • Vibrating gear shift stick. Not an issue in any way, but it just struck me that the (manual) gear stick is vibrating whilst driving. Not visible to the naked eye, only by touch. The Eos stick didn't vibrate at all.
  • I miss my handy storage space. Yes, the S60 has more than enough storage space in the interior, but the Eos has this handy spot where the S60 has the light switch and such, just big enough to put my work badge and keys in, within easy reach. For the first week or so I tried to grab them from there every time I arrived at work or departed. I have adapted my habits since...

On the plus side...what can I say? The car is simply fantastic! To drive, to look at, to enjoy, everything. The build is great and more luxurious over all. One feature I have loved from the start is the adaptive cruise control, it works even better than expected. My daily commute is 90km (about 60 miles) on the motorway vice versa, and now I even hardly have to touch the pedals any more once the CC is engaged. It takes some faith the first time, but once that is overcome...just great! To sum up: love this car!

Marco

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I came from a Eos as well! I do miss that sunroof! I think the sunroof on the S60 is actually smaller than average. With all the issues I had with the Eos that folding roof worked flawlessly!

I also agree 100% on the dipping mirrors. They are painfully slow and there really is no need to angle in at all. Just angle down and that would cut the time in half.

Can't comment on the coming/leaving home feature, never used them in either. Have you had the chance to use the rain "sensing" wipers yet? A big disappointment for me coming from the near perfect implementation from VW. But then I find Volvo software lacking in many areas from VW.

Memory seats were not available in the Eos for the US. It always annoyed me that the dealer lot attendants would mess with the seat position when my car was in for service, which was a lot! Do you really have to adjust the seat when driving the car from the front of the dealership to the rear?? It took me forever to get it back where I liked it. LOVE the memory feature on the S60 although in this segment both front seats should have memory not just the drivers. And oh, that little storage tray in the dash of the Eos was also not available in the US. Something about crash test safety. There was a metal support bar in that area on US models.

I do love the quiet and comfort of the S60 over that of the Eos. I think you'll enjoy the car very much.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
VW has the some of the best seats in the industry fro the money, while Volvo has the best seats, period. (My spouse took a while to get the settings 'just right' on our V60 too.)

The V60 has the extra space, and looks better.

Lights, mirrors, etc. are all fully configurable in Sensus, if you can figure it out, plus much is available through the Volvo on Call app - pretty neat with the full keyless ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you had the chance to use the rain "sensing" wipers yet? A big disappointment for me coming from the near perfect implementation from VW.
Yes, have been using it a lot already, simply because...well...it has been raining a lot here! I don't know where the difference lies, but in my S60 this works just as well as it did in the Eos: it wipes with the appropriate interval when there is moisture of the windscreen, and doesn't when there isn't. In the Eos you could set this permanently on, which was sometimes handy and sometimes not: the wipers would sometimes suddenly come to life without a single drop of rain on the windscreen, if I had left it switched on inadvertently from a previous drive. I don't mind engaging the feature every drive, when it is needed.

Memory seats were not available in the Eos for the US.
My Eos didn't have memory seats either, but I do think it was an available option.

I do love the quiet and comfort of the S60 over that of the Eos. I think you'll enjoy the car very much.
Thanks. I do enjoy it a lot, every single drive!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The V60 has the extra space, and looks better.
Extra space...yes obviously. Better looking...ah...nothing more personal than ones own taste? ;)

Lights, mirrors, etc. are all fully configurable in Sensus, if you can figure it out, plus much is available through the Volvo on Call app - pretty neat with the full keyless ignition.
A lot can be configured in Sensus, but then a whole lot can't. Certainly not to the level I would like to see. Just as an example: you can select which side mirrors dip when going into reverse, left, right, both or none, but no option to calibrate the dipped position. You can automatically lock the doors when driving off, but no option to unlock all doors when one is opened from the inside. Now I arrive home, step out, need to get my stuff from the rear bench, and find the rear door is still locked. I realise that the current level of configuration options is enough for 90% of all owners, maybe, but why not have a kind of "expert mode" in Sensus where the likes of me can configure the car silly (of course keeping it road legal and not breaking anything) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You can automatically lock the doors when driving off, but no option to unlock all doors when one is opened from the inside. Now I arrive home, step out, need to get my stuff from the rear bench, and find the rear door is still locked.
If you have the PCC remote Sensus can be configured to "unlock each door" so when you get out of the car and pull on the rear door handle that door will unlock.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you have the PCC remote Sensus can be configured to "unlock each door" so when you get out of the car and pull on the rear door handle that door will unlock.
Yes - the big one for the family was configuring to unlock all doors when I open the driver's side.

I'm sure Sensus should be 'hack able'. My previous V70 R had a Canbus CFE updater, which enabled me to add features such as auto-folding mirrors not originally available on the caR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
I miss my handy storage space. Yes, the S60 has more than enough storage space in the interior, but the Eos has this handy spot where the S60 has the light switch and such, just big enough to put my work badge and keys in, within easy reach. For the first week or so I tried to grab them from there every time I arrived at work or departed. I have adapted my habits since...
These work pretty well and fit my 2016 V60.

Storage inserts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two weeks later, and I'm still not comfortable with that. I had the car configured so it automatically locks when I started driving. So far so good. But when I get out after the drive, the driver's door unlocks when opening it from the inside with the door handle, but the other doors stay locked. I wish all doors would immediately unlock when one is opened from the inside. When I try to open another door once outside of the car, it might open (if I happen to carry the remote key in my pocket) or it just won't (if the remote key is on the back seats with my other stuff). That is just annoying. For now I've stopped using the automatic locking, not a big deal, I'm not living nor driving in the city.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts