SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my Volvo metamorphosis thread

Nine years ago today, my car, a 2004 S60 Turbo, was born at the factory in Ghent Belgium. I bought this car fresh off the boat in November of 2003.

In the past I had driven an S70 rental car for a couple months and loved the seats and the ride, but I was never a fan of the older Volvo styling. However, with the advent of the new S60 they finally had styling that appealed to me. So after a brief test drive of the new car, I was hooked.

At the beginning, I just wanted a nice comfortable car that would win in a head-on collision with a BMW. And, for the first few months this was fine.

By chance while looking into stereo system upgrades, I came across Swedespeed. And like crack cocaine, I was instantly hooked and logging in regularly. Most of the mods made to my car are the eventual consequence of participating in this forum.

I can’t really remember the exact sequence of my mods, but I am going to try to present them in chronological order.

Stage 0 (as in brand new)
Here she was the first night home, all shiny and new.

First order of business, stereo upgrade:
Put in an Alpine head unit, two amps, replaced all speakers with Boston Acoustics Rally series, and added a 12” enclosed sub. Also added an Alpine GPS nav and XM radio.

Later added full sound deadening liner to car (similar to Dynamat) on the doors, floor, and trunk.

Deitz CAN BUS reader. Interface for capturing can bus signals. Allowed steering wheel controls to work with aftermarket radio; volume controls, track skip, speed signal for GPS, reverse signal for rev camera, dimer signal for stereo lighting

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First performance mod:
Got a VST strut brace from Japan. This improved the turn in and steering precision a lot.

Changed to a set of Otrera rims with ET43 offset, for a slightly wider stance.

Upgraded sway bars, tightened up the rear end a lot, and almost eliminated the under steer.

Installed stainless steel brake lines from Takspeed to improve the brake pedal feel a bit.

Heico dual exhaust

Heico mesh grille with chrome surround.

Heico front spoiler flaps, gave the car a much more aggressive look. No more round front end.

Evolve lowering springs, very stiff for the in town roads, but amazing on the hiway.
Installed Bilstein HD struts and shocks, another leap forward in steering feel and control.

Heico Aluminum door pins

Heico Aluminum pedals, and Takspeed dead pedal

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
MS Designs rear spoiler from Europe

Volvo sunroof deflector – was standard after 05, but easy to retrofit

Volvo retractable rear window sun curtain.
later added Volvo rear side window sun shades (new baby was on the way soon)

Volvo power folding mirror set. Mirrors retract via motorized remote control. Activated from a button on the dash console.

European wide angle mirror glass.

IPD/MTE Softloader, stage I tune.

IPD polyurethane trans mount, and new OEM upper engine mount. No more engine rocking between gears and when coming off the gas, just smooth acceleration.

IPD HD TCV, slightly quicker throttle response. Ended up removing it later though, because the transmission shifting points felt harder with this in the car.

Matching Volvo wood steering wheel, coordinates great with the interior wood trim.

Volvo R cluster. Took a while to get one with Kph, but finally found one in Quebec. Swapped over the faces, dials, and down lit overhead shroud.

The all important baby seat mod.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
With the release of the iMIV and iMIV replica LCD, went back to an OEM look for the stereo. Complete system is a HU-803, two aftermarket amps, iMIV, replica LCD, Garmin GVN-53 headless NAV, iPod, and a reverse camera. My full install write up can be found here http://bowers.be/installation

Added Aluminum rings to the stereo and HVAC controls.

iPod dock integrated into armrest compartment

Heico logo on trunk, I figure five different Heico components on the car qualified for the badge.

Swedespeed window sticker

Replaced the original wiper arms with the newer style 05+ arms and low profile wiper blades

Jewel style tail light assemblies from MY05+

Volvo OEM Sport body kit, but left the Heico splitters on the front
Had some custom fab work done to fit the Heico dual exhaust.

Returned to stock grille, looks more like a Volvo, and to me the waffle iron pattern is more aggressive than plain mesh.

Brushed Aluminum mirror caps. Made from Volvo OE chrome caps and scored to look like brushed Aluminum.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bi-xenon projector retrofit. Mounted a set of TRS Morimoto Mini projectors and replaced the original glass with clear lenses. Fantastic when traveling in deer or moose country at night.
Full details in the build thread here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...jector-retrofit-in-a-20004-S60-install-thread

Mirzam wheels from a C70. An 18” Volvo wheel, made to fit with hub-centric wheel spacers from Viva Performance (adapts hub down from 65.1 to 63.4). End result ET35 front and ET30 rear.

Painted the calipers Silver and put on some high temp vinyl Volvo logos

Polyurethane upper engine mount.

Refinished the front spoiler from the OEM Sport Kit. I got it wrapped in a black carbon fiber pattern (3M Scotchprint 1080 CF-12), and swapped out the Heico flaps for the original Sport lip.

Threw on a Volvo prancing moose sticker for kicks

I did not have tint for years and years because even 35VLT looks too dark to me. Then I came across some nice looking 55VLT and went with it all around. Perfect combo - keeps out the UV and the heat, but does not make me look like a drug dealer.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
in the driveway

some HDRish shots from the recent Volvo meet

Recent quad projector redoo, now with dedicated high beams and projector fogs too.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Car looks great very clean. Does the power fold mirror kit come with the convex euro mirrors or were those extra?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The power fold kit is just the assemblies, and the button for the dash. The wide angle mirrors I bought from Borton Volvo separately.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The exhaust fitment on your car is so perfect. Very clean car and great mods (glad you went back to stock headunit with imiv though)
Thanks. Yeah, back in 04 a color matched dash kit was not yet available, and an aftermarket unit was the only way to get iPod, XM, and touchscreen NAV integration back then. I am much happier with the coordinated stock head unit look.

Hard to believe that Double DIN head units, iPhones, and texting all didn't exist in 2004.

·
Registered
334 Posts
dammn those are all good mods..few ques
1) i didnt get it but how did you manage to change to chrome outside side mirrors..
2) Did you also change the two little tiny bulbs just above the instrument cluster? if so then how and what bulb (to give that blue effect)
3) for the Nav where did you buy the nav screen

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
oh and where did you got those metal/silver knobs or radio and climate control
http://carbonfiberwerks.stimuluscreations.com/s60.htm

http://www.vivaperformance.com/aluminum-look-radio-climate-knob-covers-s60-v70-s80/

2) Did you also change the two little tiny bulbs just above the instrument cluster? if so then how and what bulb (to give that blue effect)
They look to be LED lights and it just looks blue because the R Gauges are already blue.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nice looking car, any plans for more performance ie turbo upgrade or FMIC?
Maybe in a few years time. I'm currently on the "all funds to your daughter" plan, lol.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
dammn those are all good mods..few ques
1) i didnt get it but how did you manage to change to chrome outside side mirrors..
The covers pop off. I bought the brushed chrome covers of another guy on Swedespeed.

I swapped in the cover from a crashed S60R, those are the stock LED bulbs that come with it.

3) for the Nav where did you buy the nav screen
I bought the screen from Sensolutions (the place that sells the iMIV), back when they were still selling them. FYI my screen is currently for sale on eBay since I don't use it much anymore. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330785614611?

Toby already covered the rest, thanks man.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
very tasteful mods. is it a t5 or 2.5t ?

did you have any trouble getting the gauge needles in the right place when you swapped the faces?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
very tasteful mods. is it a t5 or 2.5t ?

did you have any trouble getting the gauge needles in the right place when you swapped the faces?
Nope, I just pressed them on half way and then adjusted the speedo against a gps speed read out. It's a 2.5T

·
Registered
334 Posts
oh the covers pops up?? didnt know that..is there any particular place where i should start to pop. I dont want to break it and i dont know how hard it it is to pop out.
and also can i spray on those chrome products that come in can???. It may not be that "chrome" looking but it will be close looking as yours.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts