SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found some old pics of my car from back in 2005 when I was looking for the trunk spoiler photos to post up.

This was taken when I just got new wheels from SSW mounted on and took my car down to their warehouse in Flaw-duh so their photographer could take a few shots for their catalog.
Oh the memories...lol.

Wheel gap galore...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Haha...hey, at least you're not AWD. Check these out! I HAD to lower my car because I was embarrassed to drive it like this:

...and this was just after the KW V1 install:

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^^
Oh yeah, I remember seeing this pic of your car. AWDs are so high they look like they're on stilts. lol.

We should start posting most embarrassing/unflattering photos of our cars here. :)

First photo ever of my car when I took her home May 2005. Looks like a big ostrich egg.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
lol you guys are too funny!

I didn't snap a single photo of my S40 AWD until it had coilovers on.

First photo... un-adjusted ride height:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
lol thanks, it doesn't look much different than that now actually...

I couldn't bring myself to take a pic of wheel gap so big, a Swedish family could have lived in there while the car was being sent to North America.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
You almost beat me to this! I need to get some up to date shots of my car, but I've been considering a "Then and Now" thread. Especially with the transformation of some of our cars. I'll have to start that thread this weekend :)

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^
Yeah, the stock wheel's offset is too mild and tires too narrow. Makes the car look top heavy, like it's running around on chicken legs.
More aggressive offset wheels and wider tires will fill out the fender flares and give it a more aggressive stance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Whoops, wrong car...

And yes, still riding on stock height for both wagons - lame, yeah I know!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I still have the Sky-Jacker kit on my car... need to fix that.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I think it'd be nice to see some before/after (not to undermind our love for our 4x4s)

One of the first shot after I bought the car (Fall 2005):

Intermediate stage not too too long ago after it was lowered (Aug 2011):

More recently (March 2012):

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm getting emotional . . . Can you remember the good old days when you could park over the parking-lot concrete wheel stop?
I miss that gentle rubber bump.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm getting emotional . . . Can you remember the good old days when you could park over the parking-lot concrete wheel stop?
I miss that gentle rubber bump.
I remember those days fondly, so much I am getting verklempt right now. I could drive over parking stops even. I should raise it again for nostalgia's sake.

BTW when did Volvo change the design of their fork mounted bike holder? Yours is a straight piece. Mine has a wierd looking hump near the front load bar anchor point.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I remember those days fondly, so much I am getting verklempt right now. I could drive over parking stops even. I should raise it again for nostalgia's sake.
I used to roll over under the car like a puppy to clean its undercarriage . . .

BTW when did Volvo change the design of their fork mounted bike holder? Yours is a straight piece. Mine has a wierd looking hump near the front load bar anchor point.
It's a weird story. When I got it it was listed under my model car. It used to have big Volvo labels on it but it was an official re-branded Tulles... Long story short When I got it it never seemed to mount correctly to the arched load bars. Obviously I did not get the proper one.

In the end, and being quite comfortable designing stuff, I ended up adapting it to the load bars anyway.

That said I have no idea to this day what other Volvo was it really meant for :p

I still like this rack though. It's a fork mount so the bikes don't seat too high. I prefer that...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I see, so it's not officially a Volvo genuine accessory. This is the hump I was referring to, I suppose it's to allow the sunroof to ventilate. Do you have interference issues with your sunroof tilting open?
Oh, I think it's a genuine Volvo accessory but I don't think it was meant for my car . . . Maybe it was miss labeled for the new S40 when in fact meant for older moldels I don't really know.

I don't have any issues with sun roof clearances. Any thing above the load bars will clear.
My guess is the hump is partly styling. It possibly gives you more of an open feel...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts