SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 153 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: (Nebor)

i took my car to a mechanic. he suggested that the problem might be that the turbo propellors are sanded and grinded due to bad air filtering, thus making them smaller and producing less boost. is that a probability? where can i get a new propellor? or do i have to change the turbo?

· Registered
403 Posts
Re: (Ishtta)

Actually with your miles and the symptoms, if it's not what would be a very evident and premature hose leak, but the boost contol solenoid, which I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet.
These are modern day annoyance pieces that many are not familiar with their workings, ..or their importance. You can try to disconnect it, blow it out with some compressed air, minimal, say 25 psi and if that don't work, just replace it. I'll bet your problem will be fixed.
My guess is, your getting less boost than what you should be, and it's cutting in and out a bit.

Don't believe all that turbo blade, sky is falling blah, blah for sure, I'd say that's the least likely.

Let us know how it turns out. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
233 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ishtta »
i took my car to a mechanic. he suggested that the problem might be that the turbo propellors are sanded and grinded due to bad air filtering, thus making them smaller and producing less boost. is that a probability? where can i get a new propellor? or do i have to change the turbo?

That is one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard. Someone would actually have to be pretty creative to make up something that silly.

· Registered
11 Posts
Re: my S 70 R is doing 0-60 in 9.45s!!!!!!!!!! Problem suggestions!? (Ishtta)

He is in Beirut.
Do they use "lead" in fuel there?
Lead=dead catalytic converter!
Clogs it right up. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Re: my S 70 R is doing 0-60 in 9.45s!!!!!!!!!! Problem suggestions!? (whilst)

we do have unleaded fuel!! its like we r ignorent ppl, living in the desert. man, we got everything u want.

BTW, new updates. my car is doing 0-60 in 10.48 now!!!! YAY, its getting worse!!! im taking it to the dealership for a full check up, anything it takes to make it move like an R. btw, is it a possibility that i have a GLT turbo and engine?? might the previous owner have changed them due to something??? how can i know if ive got The R engine or the GLt engine???

· Registered
1,541 Posts
I'm from Beirut too -- There is definitely have unleaded fuel, just as civilized as any major city in the states...Where in Beirut are you? I'm usually in Achrafieh when I visit...

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: my S 70 R is doing 0-60 in 9.45s!!!!!!!!!! Problem suggestions!? (Ishtta)

Can you post a few pictures of your engine compartment with the turbo heat shields off? With that image alone I will tell you if you have the right motor and turbo.

So you say there are no error lights on at the moment? If you have such bad performance I would look into the vacuum hoses and turbo hoses (clamps too) as a place to start. I've had a Volvo dealer tell me that my turbo was toast after charging me for a diagnostic fee of $89.00. I found it hard to swallow and decided to investigate... Sure enough there was a hole in my throttle body charger hose that was not visable unless under boost. So I was just blowing air in my engine bay and not into the engine itself. Same deal with no CEL as well.

One thing to do is buy a cheap boost gauge and let a passenger hold it (don't have to do the full install...just run the hose from under the hood and along the outside of the car and back into the passenger side window.) Have the passenger monitor the readings and see what you get for boost / vacuum in normal driving...and then at a 30MPH launch (dropping from second to first gear) and see the peak value of boost. Doing this will tell you more than tearing things apart and spending too much $$$.

Good luck and let me know what the values are and I'll help you diagnose the problems.
Cheers,
Prospero

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i live close to ashrafie!!

OK, prospero, ill post some pics asap with the heat shield off, and i hope u can help!! im dyin to know. last night i parley kept up with a pegout 307!!!! im gonna kill myself!!
my friend has a hyundai tibirom (coupe) 2006, im sure he will kick my ass, but i know an S70R should toast him

· Registered
63,013 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ishtta »
i really need an engine wash, but im waiting to get it all fixed b4 i wash it
Your machanics would like you better if you washed it NOW

· Registered
1,582 Posts

You have the right turbo for the car.

Please get this thing washed...it needs it badly!

Just wondering what you have going on for an airfilter? If that is leaking...it could cause issues as well.

Now that you know you have the right turbo, I would get the boost gauge and start testing.

Cheers,
Prospero

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Re: (Prospero)

i want to get steel tubing for the airfilter.

thnk god i got the right turbo. i took the car for full check up and refinment! hope it turns out an R by the time its done. thnx fo rur help every one. ill keep you posted to wats going on with the car during and after fixing it.

· Registered
7,698 Posts
Filler Cap and other things explained.

Filler cap is the cap you take off to put oil in your engine. About every 4th oil change you should get in the habit of changing the rubber washer in it. They get compressed and begin to leak oil. Hope this helps. BTW, the scene around your filler hole is all too familiar and probably the reason for the oil you'll find under your spark plug cover if you unbolt the screws and take it off for inspection. If the rubber gasket doesn't do it, many are buying P2 ('01- present) oil filler caps and replacing the entire thing which seems to help with the seal. Older caps tend to wear out. Other than that, your pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) system could be at fault for the extra oil. If it is clogged up then the oil on top of your engine is of little consequence. You'll begin to leak at your rear main seal, so get the oil trap and subsequent pcv hoses checked to see if they are clogged and replace them all (along with the oil trap) if needed. The rubber hose from the top of your engine that snakes its way down under your intake manifold is part of this system...it goes to your oil trap down there. I would suspect that it may be leaking too and so its clamp at the top of the engine probably needs to be tightened down as well. http://www.fcpgroton.com sells a pcv replacement kit for your car for about $140. You'll also need a intake manifold gasket and throttle body gasket (cheap!). The oil return line at your turbo is an easy and cheap fix. fcpgroton also sells these gaskets and 0-rings for cheap. Good luck and let us know if you need help with these things. I replaced my pcv system around Christmas time so everything is still pretty fresh on my mind in regards to it.

21 - 40 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.