SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We picked up our Momentum+ on Friday and drove it extensively all weekend. It has the Vision, Convenient and Climate packages. Here are my initial thoughts ...

Exterior

I think it looks flat out awesome! I can't think of any other 3-row SUV that looks as nice. I've already had a couple random people ask me about the car when they noticed the Thor's Hammer lights. They really help to distinguish the XC90 from every other car on the road. I'm very glad I opted for the 20" Matte Tech wheels. They give the car a much sportier look, and the larger wheels fit the wheel wells better than the 19" wheels. I also love the black grill on the Momentum. Against the white exterior, it just looks badass!

Interior

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I can't imagine anyone wouldn't think the interior of the XC90 is absolutely gorgeous! The overall fit and finish is excellent, and I even really like the flame birch wood. It's not as elegant looking as the walnut on the Inscription, but it has a nice grain to it, and doesn't look cheap at all. The interior lighting is pretty amazing, especially at night with the custom colored mood lighting. I love the look of the amber leather, but I do wish the seats were a bit softer. My back was hurting a bit after driving for about an hour. It may be that I just need to do a better job of adjusting the seat. I've found in some vehicles that it just takes a bit for the seat to break in and then it's more comfortable. That being said, I don't ever recall the seats in my 2008 causing me any discomfort.

It's pretty ridiculous that the steering column isn't electric. I also wish there was more storage space, and a holder for my sunglasses would have been very welcome. These are only minor annoyances, though. Overall, Volvo did an amazing job on the interior.

Sensus / Navigation System

This is a pretty darn slick system. I really like how it is laid out, and once you get used to where things are, it's very easy to quickly access the screen you need. There are definitely some bugs in the software, but I haven't encountered anything yet that I would consider major. For example, the weather app never seems to show the correct city I am in. My vehicle has the standard sound system, and it is very impressive. I listened to the B&W system at the dealership, and while it is without a doubt better, the standard system is more than enough for most people. My wife will be the primary driver, and she mostly listens to talk radio at a reasonable volume. For her, this system is plenty. I'm more of an audiophile, and I'm happy with it as well. I played a bunch of lossless music from my iPod, and it sounds really good to me. There is decent bass, and it can go relatively loud without any distortion.

After reading a lot of comments on this forum, I was very nervous about the navigation system. So far, I am quite pleased with it. It seems to do a good job of getting you from "Point A" to "Point B". I really like how it is integrated into the instrument panel. I haven't had a chance yet to really test its ability to re-route based on traffic. I'm assuming it won't be nearly as good as Google Maps or Waze. The good news is that there should be a workaround for this limitation once CarPlay and Android Auto are supported. In the meantime, I can easily live with this system. Other than a few quirks, it seems to work just fine.

The voice control flat out sucks. There is no sugar coating this one. Even when you are using the exact commands that the system is supposed to recognize, it doesn't always work. There is simply no excuse in this day and age to have such crappy voice control.

Ride

The car rides and handles great. I was torn about whether or not to get the optional air suspension. Ultimately, I opted not to, and I'm happy with my decision. You can feel the road a bit, but the ride is still very smooth, and the vehicle corners quite well for being so large and heavy. The steering is nicely weighted, and I love that you can adjust it to suit your taste. Some people have complained that there isn't enough acceleration, and I haven't found this to be the case at all. It may be slightly slower than our previous XC90 with the V8, but this engine feels plenty peppy to me, especially in dynamic mode. The breaks seem great as well.

The start/stop feature is going to take some getting used to. I don't particularly care for the way it jerks when it first starts back up. I've been mostly driving with the feature turned off, but since it increases fuel economy, I feel like I should be utilizing it more.

I haven't yet tested most of the advanced automated driving features such as Pilot Assist or Park Assist. The lane keeping aid is really cool. I drove about 100 miles on the highway on Saturday, and it really came in handy. It totally freaked me out the first time the steering wheel vibrated to alert me that I was drifting into the other lane. I love how it will actually steer you back into your lane. Unbelievably cool!

One thing I'm still torn about is the heated windshield. This is the first car I've ever driven with one, and I have to admit that I kind of hated it at first. The heating elements are clearly visible, and they are even more annoying at night when they create these weird halos around bright lights. After a couple days, though, you start to get used to it. Once winter comes and I have to start dealing with snow, I will have a better idea if this feature was worth it, or if the HUD would have been a better choice.

---------------------

So that's pretty much everything I can think of at the moment. It's an amazing vehicle, and I don't regret buying it at all. It drives great, and most importantly, I feel like my family is very safe in it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a photo I took right after delivery ...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks for the great review. This is the exact configuration I'm looking at: Momentum + with Climate, Convenience and Vision packages (though I'm leaning towards the HUD rather than heated windshield). I was debating on whether or not to get the 20" wheels and hoping I could live with the regular suspension.

How are the roads where you were testing it? I see you're from Chicago -- in Toronto where I'm driving, there are a lot of roads that are in pretty rough shape due to repeated winter freezing/thawing. Not just potholes, but just general bumpiness/unevenness in a lot of major roads both in the city and on the highway. Are chicago roads similar given the similar climate. Can you comment any further on why you chose the regular suspension instead of air and if you test drove both?

Also, for the wheels -- do you have any pics you can share? I'm struggling to find real-world pics of the 20" wheels. I'm pretty sure I want them as they're a very reasonably priced upgrade for wider tires and bigger rims, but still not 100% sure.

Edit: Ha -- i see you just shared a pic. Thanks!

What colour do the wheels look in real life? They look sort of gunmetal in the picture. Any thoughts on how they'd match with the ember black paint (either because you saw one on the lot or just as an educated guess?)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for the great review!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for the great review. This is the exact configuration I'm looking at: Momentum + with Climate, Convenience and Vision packages (though I'm leaning towards the HUD rather than heated windshield). I was debating on whether or not to get the 20" wheels and hoping I could live with the regular suspension.

How are the roads where you were testing it? I see you're from Chicago -- in Toronto where I'm driving, there are a lot of roads that are in pretty rough shape due to repeated winter freezing/thawing. Not just potholes, but just general bumpiness/unevenness in a lot of major roads both in the city and on the highway. Are chicago roads similar given the similar climate. Can you comment any further on why you chose the regular suspension instead of air and if you test drove both?

Also, for the wheels -- do you have any pics you can share? I'm struggling to find real-world pics of the 20" wheels. I'm pretty sure I want them as they're a very reasonably priced upgrade for wider tires and bigger rims, but still not 100% sure.

Edit: Ha -- i see you just shared a pic. Thanks!

What colour do the wheels look in real life? They look sort of gunmetal in the picture. Any thoughts on how they'd match with the ember black paint (either because you saw one on the lot or just as an educated guess?)
For the 20" rims, get them. I love the look and also the fact that you get wider tires for better grip. At $750 it is a steal considering after the fact if you choose to get them, they will run somewhere around $900 a piece or something ridiculous like that. Don't hesitate getting these, just get them because I think you will end up regretting it if you don't.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We picked up our Momentum+ on Friday and drove it extensively all weekend. It has the Vision, Convenient and Climate packages. Here are my initial thoughts ...

Exterior

I think it looks flat out awesome! I can't think of any other 3-row SUV that looks as nice. I've already had a couple random people ask me about the car when they noticed the Thor's Hammer lights. They really help to distinguish the XC90 from every other car on the road. I'm very glad I opted for the 20" Matt Tech wheels. They give the car a much sportier look, and the wider wheels fit the wheel wells better than the 19" wheels. I also love the black grill on the Momentum. Against the white exterior, it just looks badass!

Interior

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I can't imagine anyone wouldn't think the interior of the XC90 is absolutely gorgeous! The overall fit and finish is excellent, and I even really like the flame birch wood. It's not as elegant looking as the walnut on the Inscription, but it has a nice grain to it, and doesn't look cheap at all. The interior lighting is pretty amazing, especially at night with the custom colored mood lighting. I love the look of the amber leather, but I do wish the seats were a bit softer. My back was hurting a bit after driving for about an hour. It may be that I just need to do a better job of adjusting the seat. I've found in some vehicles that it just takes a bit for the seat to break in and then it's more comfortable. That being said, I don't ever recall the seats in my 2008 causing me any discomfort.

It's pretty ridiculous that the steering column isn't electric. I also wish there was more storage space, and a holder for my sunglasses would have been very welcome. These are only minor annoyances, though. Overall, Volvo did an amazing job on the interior.

Sensus / Navigation System

This is a pretty darn slick system. I really like how it is laid out, and once you get used to where things are, it's very easy to quickly access the screen you need. There are definitely some bugs in the software, but I haven't encountered anything yet that I would consider major. For example, the weather app never seems to show the correct city I am in. My vehicle has the standard sound system, and it is very impressive. I listened to the B&W system at the dealership, and while it is without a doubt better, the standard system is more than enough for most people. My wife will be the primary driver, and she mostly listens to talk radio at a reasonable volume. For her, this system is plenty. I'm more of an audiophile, and I'm happy with it as well. I played a bunch of lossless music from my iPod, and it sounds really good to me. There is decent bass, and it can go relatively loud without any distortion.

After reading a lot of comments on this forum, I was very nervous about the navigation system. So far, I am quite pleased with it. It seems to do a good job of getting you from "Point A" to "Point B". I really like how it is integrated into the instrument panel. I haven't had a chance yet to really test its ability to re-route based on traffic. I'm assuming it won't be nearly as good as Google Maps or Waze. The good news is that there should be a workaround for this limitation once CarPlay and Android Auto are supported. In the meantime, I can easily live with this system. Other than a few quirks, it seems to work just fine.

The voice control flat out sucks. There is no sugar coating this one. Even when you are using the exact commands that the system is supposed to recognize, it doesn't always work. There is simply no excuse in this day and age to have such crappy voice control.

Ride

The car rides and handles great. I was torn about whether or not to get the optional air suspension. Ultimately, I opted not to, and I'm happy with my decision. You can feel the road a bit, but the ride is still very smooth, and the vehicle corners quite well for being so large and heavy. The steering is nicely weighted, and I love that you can adjust it to suit your taste. Some people have complained that there isn't enough acceleration, and I haven't found this to be the case at all. It may be slightly slower than our previous XC90 with the V8, but this engine feels plenty peppy to me, especially in dynamic mode. The breaks seem great as well.

The start/stop feature is going to take some getting used to. I don't particularly care for the way it jerks when it first starts back up. I've been mostly driving with the feature turned off, but since it increases fuel economy, I feel like I should be utilizing it more.

I haven't yet tested most of the advanced automated driving features such as Pilot Assist or Park Assist. The lane keeping aid is really cool. I drove about 100 miles on the highway on Saturday, and it really came in handy. It totally freaked me out the first time the steering wheel vibrated to alert me that I was drifting into the other lane. I love how it will actually steer you back into your lane. Unbelievably cool!

One thing I'm still torn about is the heated windshield. This is the first car I've ever driven with one, and I have to admit that I kind of hated it at first. The heating elements are clearly visible, and they are even more annoying at night when they create these weird halos around bright lights. After a couple days, though, you start to get used to it. Once winter comes and I have to start dealing with snow, I will have a better idea if this feature was worth it, or if the HUD would have been a better choice.

---------------------

So that's pretty much everything I can think of at the moment. It's an amazing vehicle, and I don't regret buying it at all. It drives great, and most importantly, I feel like my family is very safe in it.
Congratulations! Beautiful combination! I have the exact exterior and interior color you have. It is called "cool and warm".

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live out in the burbs. The roads are fairly decent around here, but we certainly have out share of bumpy ones as well. You can feel the bumps in the road with the standard suspension, but the ride isn't harsh by any means. I drive an SRT8, so I'm used to a sport tuned suspension, but even my wife really likes the way the new XC90 feels, and she kind of hates my Jeep.

The main reason I opted for the standard suspension over the air suspension was the cost. I figured it would save me money upfront, and possibly save me money down the line if the air suspension ever needed to be serviced. If money wasn't an object, I probably would have gone for the air suspension.

The wheels are indeed a gunmetal grey kind of color. They look really good in person, and I think they will stay cleaner looking than the silver 19" wheels. Because it's such a neutral color, I would imagine they would look great with almost any exterior color.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
For the 20" rims, get them. I love the look and also the fact that you get wider tires for better grip. At $750 it is a steal considering after the fact if you choose to get them, they will run somewhere around $900 a piece or something ridiculous like that. Don't hesitate getting these, just get them because I think you will end up regretting it if you don't.
Agreed. At $750, the upgrade is a no-brainer. It's a large vehicle, and the beefier 20" rims just look more at home. I also like the fact that the tires that go with the 20" wheels still have a decent sized sidewall, so you don't have to sacrifice comfort for the sportier look. The 21" rims are pretty damn cool, but then you're looking at a much lower profile tire.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
There is a sunglass holder by your left knee. At least that is what I would use it for.

Yep, I've been using that for my sunglasses as well since I picked it up in May.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Ride

The start/stop is a bit unnerving, but I am used to it now. Maybe it is a matter of trusting that it will start back up. By the time my foot is too the gas pedal, the engine seems to be there with all of its power.

I found the lane keeping aid a bit annoying on some back roads I travel on the way to the wider roads. These back roads only have the center lane lines and I got the feeling it was trying to push me off the narrow road. If there are lines along the side that is no problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agreed. At $750, the upgrade is a no-brainer. It's a large vehicle, and the beefier 20" rims just look more at home. I also like the fact that the tires that go with the 20" wheels still have a decent sized sidewall, so you don't have to sacrifice comfort for the sportier look. The 21" rims are pretty damn cool, but then you're looking at a much lower profile tire.
I couldn't agree more, just from a financial point alone. They are really nice looking in that gunmetal grey type color and have looked great with every color I've seen them against. The one additional benefit no one seems to talk about regarding them, is their light weight. If you look at their accessories web site, the details show them to be the lightest of all add on wheels and by a significant amount in comparison to most. This will clearly make a difference with regards to fuel economy over the life of the vehicle and it's not at all a sacrifice in appearance like most smaller OEM wheels one may choose for fuel economy, considering they look great!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I couldn't agree more, just from a financial point alone. They are really nice looking in that gunmetal grey type color and have looked great with every color I've seen them against. The one additional benefit no one seems to talk about regarding them, is their light weight. If you look at their accessories web site, the details show them to be the lightest of all add on wheels and by a significant amount in comparison to most. This will clearly make a difference with regards to fuel economy over the life of the vehicle and it's not at all a sacrifice in appearance like most smaller OEM wheels one may choose for fuel economy, considering they look great!
Interesting. Thanks, all. I'm sold on the 20" wheels. Glad to hear they look so nice in person.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I live out in the burbs. The roads are fairly decent around here, but we certainly have out share of bumpy ones as well. You can feel the bumps in the road with the standard suspension, but the ride isn't harsh by any means. I drive an SRT8, so I'm used to a sport tuned suspension, but even my wife really likes the way the new XC90 feels, and she kind of hates my Jeep.

The main reason I opted for the standard suspension over the air suspension was the cost. I figured it would save me money upfront, and possibly save me money down the line if the air suspension ever needed to be serviced. If money wasn't an object, I probably would have gone for the air suspension.
I'm of a similar mind. While the initial cost of the air suspension doesn't seem unreasonable, I'm really worried about maintenance costs as the car ages. So I'm definitely leaning towards the standard suspension.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Congratulations! Beautiful combination! I have the exact exterior and interior color you have. It is called "cool and warm".
+1

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thank you so much! I had no idea that compartment was even there. :)
There is alot of car there and some sales men don't show everything. Also sometimes there is just toooo much to show. For curosity how long did the salesmen take in showing you the XC90?

Another tip is when you want to cancel the navigation use the voice control and say clear itinerary. That is the easiest way.
I usually tell my customers, for every 10k the car is worth you should spend 30 minutes hitting button in your car. You can not break the car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts