SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our XC90 T8 in September of 2017. Since June 2018 to April 2019, the car has been in and out of the dealership for at least 8 times. The car at one point was not able to start and show "hybrid system failure". When the car was brought into the service department at the dealership, the technicians were not able to identify the problem thus not able to fix it. In the end, they just clear the error codes.

Issues
1)The fuel filler pipe has been replaced 3 times.
2)The door handle malfunctioned. Sometimes we are not able to open the door.
3)The moonroof malfunctioned. We are not able to open the moonroof.
4)The car temperature sensor malfunctioned causing the battery (EV battery) no able to charge. After two visits before they finally replace the temperature sensor.
5)The vehicle GPS locator electronics malfunctioned and the service technician tried to reprogrammed it but failed and finally has to replace the whole VCM unit.
6)Some pipes (Not sure what they are) in the car was not seated properly and need to be fixed (Discovered after we brought the car in for the 8th time for complete diagnosis).
7)The EV lithium battery failed and need to be replaced. (EV Battery failed in less than 1.5yr)
8)The AC electronic malfunctioned causing problems to the hybrid drive system and the whole AC system need to be replaced.

We tried to talk to the Volvo Customer Service since December 10, 2018 and ask them to step up their customers service to replace the Lemon. It takes Volvo more than 5 weeks (Jan 16, 2019) before they would give us an answer. Their response is to try to get us to trade in the car for another Volvo instead of replacing the car, making it sound like they are doing us a favor. We informed them that the car has malfunctioned in many ways within the two year period and the car has been in the dealership for more than 30 days and some parts have been replaced 3 times and thus satisfying the Lemon Law. However, Volvo refused to do anything.

Finally, we get in touch with Lemon Law attorney to negotiate with Volvo to replace the car but they are still not willing to replace it. Instead, they tried to pay us some money to get out of the situation. Frankly speaking, we love to drive the XC90 T8, which is why we wanted Volvo to replace the car. However, Volvo's reluctance show us that they do not stand behind their products. Now we are considering to just keep the money and sell the car to minimize our huge loss. It is because we were advised by our attorney that if the case were to continue to drag on, it may take a long time to resolve and in the end Volvo may not end up replacing the car and we will probably lose out. For future owners of XC90 T8, keep your eyes peeled.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have heard many similar issues about the Hybrid... and it’s what made me reluctant to choose the T8. I chose the 2019 T5 with Polestar and I absolutely love it!

However, since owning the car just 5 months, it started having problems.

It’s been with Volvo for a week now and will probably be there another week, due to:
1. Malfunctioning Turbo (makes loud squealing noises like a bad serpentine belt)
2. Warped rotors (after just 5000 miles). Was told this was common for US spec Volvos but rare for Euro-spec because of the harder composition of Euro brake pads.

Other minor annoyances crop up from time to time like:
1. Passenger window falsely senses an obstruction when using auto-up function, and then rolls itself down again...
2. iPod function doesn’t work at all (message “no audio/video detected”
3. Wifi internet sharing is useless, so must use Bluetooth instead, which works reliably (for now)

Despite all of this, i don’t regret buying the car. I’ve owned many late model BMWs with similar issues... so this is just par for the course...

- Live like there’s no tomorrow!

·
Registered
130 Posts
We bought our XC90 T8 in September of 2017. Since June 2018 to April 2019, the car has been in and out of the dealership for at least 8 times. The car at one point was not able to start and show "hybrid system failure". When the car was brought into the service department at the dealership, the technicians were not able to identify the problem thus not able to fix it. In the end, they just clear the error codes.

Issues
4)The car temperature sensor malfunctioned causing the battery (EV battery) no able to charge. After two visits before they finally replace the temperature sensor.
5)The vehicle GPS locator electronics malfunctioned and the service technician tried to reprogrammed it but failed and finally has to replace the whole VCM unit.
6)Some pipes (Not sure what they are) in the car was not seated properly and need to be fixed (Discovered after we brought the car in for the 8th time for complete diagnosis).
7)The EV lithium battery failed and need to be replaced. (EV Battery failed in less than 1.5yr)
8)The AC electronic malfunctioned causing problems to the hybrid drive system and the whole AC system need to be replaced.

We tried to talk to the Volvo Customer Service since December 10, 2018 and ask them to step up their customers service to replace the Lemon. It takes Volvo more than 5 weeks (Jan 16, 2019) before they would give us an answer. Their response is to try to get us to trade in the car for another Volvo instead of replacing the car, making it sound like they are doing us a favor. We informed them that the car has malfunctioned in many ways within the two year period and the car has been in the dealership for more than 30 days and some parts have been replaced 3 times and thus satisfying the Lemon Law. However, Volvo refused to do anything.

Finally, we get in touch with Lemon Law attorney to negotiate with Volvo to replace the car but they are still not willing to replace it. Instead, they tried to pay us some money to get out of the situation. Frankly speaking, we love to drive the XC90 T8, which is why we wanted Volvo to replace the car. However, Volvo's reluctance show us that they do not stand behind their products. Now we are considering to just keep the money and sell the car to minimize our huge loss. It is because we were advised by our attorney that if the case were to continue to drag on, it may take a long time to resolve and in the end Volvo may not end up replacing the car and we will probably lose out. For future owners of XC90 T8, keep your eyes peeled.
Have 2017 T8 Inscription and have been in and out for at least 10 times.
Once my lease is up I'm walking away from Volvo!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I’m just wondering why isn’t the rest of the world complaining about these many issues as we are in the US?
Is it really that different of a car elsewhere !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts

Issues

Just wait for MyVolvoS60 to chime in - he's helped millions of poor Volvo owners get their issues sorted out just by sending emails to Volvo corporate!!

·
Registered
127 Posts

Issues

I would suggest opening a case with Volvo Customer Service if you haven't already. Then talk to the GM at the dealer you purchased the car from. I found that when Volvo bought back my 2016, the key was the GM fighting for me and my future business with Volvo. It certainly was in his best interest as 1) he could take my 2016, fix it and make a profit as a CPO car and 2) get me into another Volvo, thus another sale. I know that not all dealers care, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Issues

If your lawyer is telling you that you will have to fight for a long time to perhaps get a resolution then what he is really saying is that you do not qualify within the Lemon Law parameters in your particular State. What are you not telling us? Lemon laws have very specific requirements, otherwise everyone and their brother would use it if they did not like their cars. Buyer Remorse. Lemon Laws are meant to protect the consumer when a vehicle cannot be repaired after a specific number of attempts. In California it is a major function that has not been repaired after four attempts. Major means something other than static on a radio station or an iPod connection not always working. I get it, it is no fun taking your car in for repairs. Are you given a decent vehicle to use when your car is at the dealership? I purposely purchased the 2017 T8 and would not have settled for any other variant. I have not experienced any problems. While I am at only 11,300 miles, nothing seems to be lingering waiting to fail. People on this forum seem ready to dish on the XC90 XC60 and especially on the T8 version. Cars have problems which is why you have a 48 month, 50,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Have you tried changing workshops.
Sometimes it’s the lack of proficiency at one place that could lead to all these issues Vs a better workshop.

I had issues on my sunroof and still after 8 or so attempts, couldn’t be fixed.
One day I decide to go to another dealer about 20 miles farther. And magic happened everything was fixed in one shot. Took them a week indeed but. Nothing broke down again.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Seems the repairs started nearly one year after purchase. Lemon law in many states covers only the first year I think.
If the car is fixed now, no need to sell and take the loss. Request Volvo to extend factory warranty to 10 years and just drive it.
Hybrid power train is new to dealers but overall it is not critical to worry about.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sorry to hear, OP. Your experience mirrors mine in many ways. I have been stuck in court for almost two years now. My car is an expensive paperweight and, so far, a total write-off. Hope you'll have more luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you lawyer is telling you that you will have to fight for a long time to perhaps get a resolution then what he is really saying is that you do not qualify within the Lemon Law parameters in your particular State. What are you not telling us? Lemon laws have very specific requirements, otherwise everyone and their brother would use it if they did not like their cars. Buyer Remorse. Lemon Laws are meant to protect the consumer when a vehicle cannot be repaired after a specific number of attempts. In California it is a major function that has not been repaired after four attempts. Major means something other than static on a radio station or an iPod connection not always working. I get it, it is no fun taking your car in for repairs. Are you given a decent vehicle to use when your car is at the dealership? I purposely purchased the 2017 T8 and would not have settled for any other variant. I have not experienced any problems. While I am at only 11,300 miles, nothing seems to be lingering waiting to fail. People on this forum seem ready to dish on the XC90 XC60 and especially on the T8 version. Cars have problems which is why you have a 48 month, 50,000 mile warranty.
If one has not experience a lemon, it is hard to empathize others who had. The lawyers' have experience with these dealers. The automaker legal department do not care about customer service but rather to minimize loss to the company and to protect the brand. If there are more lemons, it bring down the reputation. VxF's example (2 comments down) is what our lawyers warn us of, years of lawsuit in court avail to nowhere.

According to the law of Texas, the car is in the workshop for more than 30 days in a span of 2 years of ownership qualify for lemon law. On top of that we had the fuel pump filler changed 3 times which also allow for lemon law to be used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would suggest opening a case with Volvo Customer Service if you haven't already. Then talk to the GM at the dealer you purchased the car from. I found that when Volvo bought back my 2016, the key was the GM fighting for me and my future business with Volvo. It certainly was in his best interest as 1) he could take my 2016, fix it and make a profit as a CPO car and 2) get me into another Volvo, thus another sale. I know that not all dealers care, but worth a shot.

The case was started in December 10 of 2018 and it took them 5 weeks to response. The response - the best we can do is to let you trade in your car for a new car (Trade Assist).

There is no customer service but basically says that you are on your own. I think those people involve in the Volvo customer experience is no longer in Volvo. The forum posted before mid of 2018 does not work anymore, those people like "Bill Casey" does not response anymore.

The Volvo dealer says that they DO NOT WANT to deal with this problematic car. Told me to refer that to the corporate.

BTW, once bitten twice shy. I no longer want to buy any Volvo in the future. I was initially looking at changing out another car to the XC40 electric but no longer.

But thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems the repairs started nearly one year after purchase. Lemon law in many states covers only the first year I think.
If the car is fixed now, no need to sell and take the loss. Request Volvo to extend factory warranty to 10 years and just drive it.
Hybrid power train is new to dealers but overall it is not critical to worry about.
It started about 9 months later and Texas law allow for 2 years.

That is what I proposed to the Volvo corporate and their response is "we will reduce the compensation amount to make up for the extended warranty".

What I am afraid of is also the battery longevity. It failed in less than 1-1/2 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you tried changing workshops.
Sometimes it’s the lack of proficiency at one place that could lead to all these issues Vs a better workshop.

I had issues on my sunroof and still after 8 or so attempts, couldn’t be fixed.
One day I decide to go to another dealer about 20 miles farther. And magic happened everything was fixed in one shot. Took them a week indeed but. Nothing broke down again.

All the issues has been fixed but it comes one after the other. Those 8 times going to the dealership are for those multiple issues. I just do not know what other issues may crop up. Recently I started hearing some noises from the front suspension. haizzz...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to hear, OP. Your experience mirrors mine in many ways. I have been stuck in court for almost two years now. My car is an expensive paperweight and, so far, a total write-off. Hope you'll have more luck.
I am sorry to hear that. Did your lawyer advised you to take the compensation and leave? My lawyer advised me that I may get into the same situation as you even though I have a relative strong lemon law case. Thus he advise me to take the money and leave.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I am sorry to hear that. Did your lawyer advised you to take the compensation and leave? My lawyer advised me that I may get into the same situation as you even though I have a relative strong lemon law case. Thus he advise me to take the money and leave.
I think it is good to have the extended warranty from Volvo. The compensation is helpful but maybe not that important, depends on how much time/inconvenience/money loss caused by the repairs.

You will not have same battery failure in 1.5 years. And it is covered by 8 years warranty. I am not saying problem is forgivable after repaired but technically any car could need some repair. It is just matter of probability.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think it is good to have the extended warranty from Volvo. The compensation is helpful but maybe not that important, depends on how much time/inconvenience/money loss caused by the repairs.

You will not have same battery failure in 1.5 years. And it is covered by 8 years warranty. I am not saying problem is forgivable after repaired but technically any car could need some repair. It is just matter of probability.
ICBW, but I don’t think we are in an era where cars will be trouble free anymore, too much hi tech stuff. You could get out of this car and right into another car with issues, just check the BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes etc boards....a long warranty and a good dealer that gives you a loaner may be the best strategy these days.

FTR, I was a buy and keep for 10 year or longer type guy prior to the last couple of years. We gotta keep up with the changing market, can’t hold onto the way things were when i would go out there and change the timing belt, do the oil change, do a brake job, tune up etc......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
ICBW, but I don’t think we are in an era where cars will be trouble free anymore, too much hi tech stuff. You could get out of this car and right into another car with issues, just check the BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes etc boards....a long warranty and a good dealer that gives you a loaner may be the best strategy these days.

FTR, I was a buy and keep for 10 year or longer type guy prior to the last couple of years. We gotta keep up with the changing market, can’t hold onto the way things were when i would go out there and change the timing belt, do the oil change, do a brake job, tune up etc......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Issues

Here is the Texas Lemon Law Details. (https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law) You need to read it carefully. From what you have told us you do not qualify. Lawyers are like Roaches they both will survive Armageddon. They will often take a case and then try and figure out how to get your money.

When can I use the Texas Lemon Law?

If you have purchased or leased a new motor vehicle and it develops a defect or condition that substantially impairs the motor vehicle’s use, market value or safety, you may be eligible for relief under the Texas Lemon Law. You are required to allow the manufacturer a reasonable opportunity to repair the defect(s) before you may file a complaint for lemon law relief. There is a $35 filing fee required with the submission of the Lemon Law complaint form. The number of reasonable attempts to repair the defect(s) may vary based upon the defect’s effect on the normal operation of the motor vehicle.
How many “reasonable attempts” to repair a defect is the manufacturer allowed?

One way to show the dealer has had a reasonable number of attempts to fix a defect is to pass one of the following tests. Mileage requirements in the tests do not apply to travel trailers.
The Four Times Test

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

• Four (4) times for the same defect(s) within the first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
  • the problem continues to exist.
The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

• during first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, and
  • the problem continues to exist.
The 30 Day Test

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect(s) that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.
It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.
What motor vehicles are eligible?

Cars, trucks, motorcycles, motor homes and all-terrain vehicles are covered, as well as demonstrator vehicles that develop problems covered by a manufacturer's written warranty. Travel trailers must be titled and registered in Texas to be eligible.

So tell us why do you feel that you qualify based upon the requirements as noted from the Texas Government website? FACTS do matter.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bummer to hear that. My 2018 T8 has been pretty much trouble free except for a couple minor items. 24K on the clock now.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts