Front and rear upper chassis braces
18" wheels with hub centric rings
235/40/18 Michelin super sport tires @ 39 psi
Also happened with the 17" pegs with DWS tires
No suspension components have ever been replaced
Alignment did not help
Rear toe at .02 and .03

Symptoms:
At highway speeds, car will begin to feel very loose and shimmy about. It never moves a crazy amount but it is absolutely noticeable and causes me arse to clench. Car will move back and forth randomly and then just be fine. I would say that if I were to drive on the highway for 10 minutes, I would feel it at least once.
Chassis setting does not seem to make a difference.
No vibrations, the ride is smooth.
Shimmy gets progressively worse with speed but is seldom felt unless on a highway.
The problem has been getting worse and worse for a bit now.

Solutions?
This is where you guys help :)
I would like to think this is just in my head or it's the wind blowing me around. Only problem with this theory is I think I'm sane (how does one really know?) and it can't be this windy this much.
What suspension components should I be checking and how the hell do I check them? Hell, since I've never done anything to a suspension on any car ever before, pictures would be helpful as well.

TIA
-prienzo

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear control arm bushings would be the first place to start.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
Ok, I have no problem getting the car in the air, but I have no idea how to actually check components. Tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Could it be that your tires are wearing abnormally and tracking the road? Try a rotation and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be that your tires are wearing abnormally and tracking the road? Try a rotation and see if it goes away.
I don't think so and here's why. It happened with my winter set and now with my summer set. The summer tires are brand new as well, less than 1000 miles.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I seem to get the same thing, right now my springs seats are bad and everything else looks good...maybe try rotating the nut on top of your strut towers and if it rotates easily you have bad spring seats?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seem to get the same thing, right now my springs seats are bad and everything else looks good...maybe try rotating the nut on top of your strut towers and if it rotates easily you have bad spring seats?
I'll try this. This also reminds me that I forgot to mention I have a front and rear strut brace.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Do you have your alignment specs on the front?... or any of the alignment specs? Sometimes what the service writer tells you and where the car is are two totally different things, plus if a suspension component is bent you may not be able to get the proper alignment.

Have you tried a different stretch of road? Sounds absolutely retarded, but for whatever reason, on this one strip in 295, my miata goes freaking nuts... randomly. Everywhere else it's fine.

Now for the million dollar question: do you feel it in the steering wheel? If you had to say what corner/side/area it's coming from where would you guess?

Have you tried rolling without the spacers?

Next time it does it, put the car in neutral. Sounds stupid, but try it to eliminate things one at a time, a bad tps sensor can make your car feel like it's going to drop a ball joint and kill your occupants.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have your alignment specs on the front?... or any of the alignment specs? Sometimes what the service writer tells you and where the car is are two totally different things, plus if a suspension component is bent you may not be able to get the proper alignment.

Have you tried a different stretch of road? Sounds absolutely retarded, but for whatever reason, on this one strip in 295, my miata goes freaking nuts... randomly. Everywhere else it's fine.

Now for the million dollar question: do you feel it in the steering wheel? If you had to say what corner/side/area it's coming from where would you guess?

Have you tried rolling without the spacers?

Next time it does it, put the car in neutral. Sounds stupid, but try it to eliminate things one at a time, a bad tps sensor can make your car feel like it's going to drop a ball joint and kill your occupants.
What should I be looking for in the alignment specs? I had it done today so I have all the specs.

It happens on all sorts of roads.

I'll have to try and focus on the steering wheel the next time it happens. It feels similar to wind pushing you around, but it's much worse. I'll also try the neutral trick.

Tomorrow, I'll take off the spacers and go for a ride. My thoughts on the spacers are this though... If it were spacers, wouldn't I feel it all the time or have some vibration?

·
Registered
398 Posts
What should I be looking for in the alignment specs? I had it done today so I have all the specs.

It happens on all sorts of roads.

I'll have to try and focus on the steering wheel the next time it happens. It feels similar to wind pushing you around, but it's much worse. I'll also try the neutral trick.

Tomorrow, I'll take off the spacers and go for a ride. My thoughts on the spacers are this though... If it were spacers, wouldn't I feel it all the time or have some vibration?
Probably. But I've seen the weirdest things during my short years on this earth. Just try it methodically and try to remove as many variables as possible.

I'm not the most suspension savvy person in the world so I'd wait for rogersampson or one of the other smarter, better equipped guys to chime in on this, but I'd imagine the toe would probably be the suspect if it were an alignment issue. Toe can make or break straight line stability. As for your alignment specs you're checking to make sure everything is very close to the volvo service manual or at the very least; equal. Sometimes crap happens and suspension components get slightly bent or out of whack and they can't get the actual alignment target. So that'd be another thing to look for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My mech let me take a look at everything while it was on the lift today (bevel gear fried.) I have the same handling issues as well, before the loss of AWD. Even the center line of the highway will make the rear end "float."

Looked at the back end real close and I could see daylight coming through the forward trailing arm bushing with the suspension unloaded. Mech was surprised to see them in that condition. Apparently they usually last longer. Front lower control arms weren't much better. I'll probably do new control arms up front (IPD) and let the shop take care of the back end.

05 V70R MT 87K miles
Stock except for IPD sway bars (front&rear)

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have it on a lift next week and definitely take a look at the control arm bushings. Hope I can get this sorted out soon, I have springs and sways waiting to go in :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
also have to consider a 4C issue as a possibility. sounds like it could be getting funky readings. i am no suspension expert but i know there are accelerometers on each strut that feed info to the 4C and sometimes they get knocked loose or out of position and this can cause handling issues. sorry for the vaugeness i dotn have any experience with the R suspension but that would be where i would start my investigation. try searching for more info on the accelerometers

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
sounds like wind....
Sorry, that was me...I had a meatball sub for dinner :D

I would def look into the rear bushings and make sure the rear toe bar isn't bent or crushed, these things are VERY delicate and just a little ding or anything is bent on them it will make the rear of the car feel very weird but other then those 2 things I'm at a loss. Hope you find the problem and the solution.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
If those sensor brackets get bent, don't they instantly throw a dtsc error?
Nope, no codes will be thrown.

-OP
First, I'd take off the spacers.
Second, try just changing 4C modes, pulling the fuse is going to make it feel all weird.
Third, check for worn rear control arm bushings.
Fourth, check all accelerometers and 4C connections.
Fifth, double check your alignment and run 0Deg rear toe.
Sixth, change your fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts