SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the mid 1970s I bought two PV 544s for $500 and the guy said the one that ran had about 300,000 miles on it. It came with a trunk load of pistons and other parts so it had been well cared for. I put in an IPD camshaft, did a killer job of polishing and porting the cylinder head with double springs, headers, a heavy duty clutch, and a couple big SU carbs from a Jaguar sedan. The car was fast and it would rev like a chain saw. I then made a steel tube welded undercarriage system to install a very concealed trailer hitch and towed this 1957 Chris Craft to the lake and back several times, finally buying a Bronco to do the job. In the end I sold the car for $1500 to get cash for a downpayment on the property where I live today. The car had Pirelli CN36 radials on it, same thing that came on the turbo Porsche at the time. The 411 rear end was used for towing and the car would accelerate like a rocket, naturally getting out of rpm at higher speeds as you would expect. Great fun, great memories, thought you guys would like to see the photos.

The blue car you might see in one of the photos was a parts car that came along with the runner, and I would pay big bucks today to get either of them back.

regards,

P

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As you can see, old habits are tough to break (and so are Volvos). That PV-544 by the way, even with 300,000 miles on it, never broke even though I drove it hard. Darn thing did not even have a timing chain! The camshaft was gear driven.

Here is our 2004 XC90 2.5 AWD (now sold in favor of a 2008 3.2 AWD) pulling a 1966 Chris Craft. Old habits are tough to change.

regards,

P

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

As a point of interest, here is my friend Rickard, in Sweden, after importing a 23' Chris Craft Lancer, and gentlemen, that is too much boat for the car. I know because I have one of those too (Lancer). This is when he picked it up and drove it home. I figure the car was able to haul it okay but braking and emergency handling would have been quite a challenge. Straight line on the highway probably not a problem.

I know this is a bit off topic for the B-18 guys, but still of interest,

Best,

P

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Enjoyed the photos--especially the Red(!) PV 544. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I was in a car show the other day, a 63 Jag MkX was there, with a 3.8 3 SU engine. It must have been the E-type spec engine, 265 hp, as opposed to the 2 SU 220 hp. Those SU's looked huge. The whole engine, in fact, with its hemi heads looked huge.

Those 544's are also said to have very good handling. The Amazon suspension was based on the 544, from what I know. I like how the 544's look, but they seem a bit too crude compared with the Amazon. Not that the Amazon is a great luxurious car, of course!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
There is a big difference between 544 and 122 front suspensions. The 544s and previous had kingpins while the 122s had ball joints.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I asked an old timer engineer of how the kingpin suspension compares to the ball joint suspension. The answer I got is some limit on the suspension travel, but besides this, there would be no other difference...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts