SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've only been in the Volvo business for almost thirteen years but I have a few thoughts on the coming years. I'd like to know what you think.

For the 2014 model year, the S60/V60 and XC60 are receiving sheetmetal updates. Now that Volvo Cars is intending on moving to a 6 year model cycle, it would make sense as far as a mid-life update. I also believe it can be financially justified as it will coincide with the introduction of pedestrian airbags in these cars. It is rumored that these same cars will receive the VEA engines at some point next year too. I wouldn't be surprised to see electric rear axles on the AWD models. Now that demand for new cars in Europe is subsiding somewhat, Volvo Cars has the capacity to provide North America with cars they otherwise would not consider selling here. I am sure that VCC would rather sell some V60's in the U.S. and make less profit than not selling those units at all in Europe. Because the V60 is just a wagon version of the S60, EPA certification is taken care of. The V60 as we know it may not sell in the numbers that Volvo Cars North America wish for, but with the re-introduction of the V40 "Cross Country" I do believe a V60 Cross Country could generate those numbers. The A4 Allroad has had a very successful launch, at least here in the Seattle area and Stephan Jacoby knew that car was coming down the pike.

In the case of the V40 and V40 Cross Country, there is a possibility that VCC is waiting for the VEA engines before sending these stateside if at all. With Volvo building their own engines, they can control costs better and customer satisfaction will be higher in the US with an eight-speed automatic rather than a Ford "PowerShift" transmission.

It is also rumored that the V70/XC70 and S80 will recieve a minor facelift an update in 2014 to carry them through 2016 when the SPA cars arrive. I can see the XC70 being renamed V70 Cross Country globally and with the introduction of the VEA engines and their fuel mileage advantages, the "Cross Country" could become a strong seller again.

I think the SPA XC90 will be the first SPA car with production starting early 2014, the new S80 and possible a new S90 (think A6 and A7) within 6 - 9 months.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I think they ought to completely scrap the "Cross Country" name and just name it the XC40. It's a much more simple name, and it fits in better with the range of cars. Also, I think that the S80 and XC70 ought to be give more than just a face-lift and perhaps take the engine from the S60 T5 and put it in those two cars seeing as the 3.2 liter I6 has little point due to it being heavier, less powerful/torquey, and reduces turning radius. Also, I really hope that Volvo does some MAJOR revamping to the C30 (it is my dream car) and introduce many of the new things on the V40 such as putting a strut tower brace to improve steering response/feel and putting the T5 from the S60 T5 into that as well. Also, the C30 REALLY needs an interior refresh. I maintain that with the right improvements (new interior/engine/steering) it could get more sales increases seeing as a 3 door hatch is a good way to bring new buyers to Volvo. IT did do that when it was just introduced but now it's just gotten a bit stale.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By going with "Cross Country" for the more rugged wagons and hatches, it leaves room in the line-up for XC models, like an XC40 which might compete with an X1 or Q3. I personally have a soft spot for the C30 and hope that the MC1 platform spawns a replacement, but it doesn't look like that's happening. I think a 3 door version of the V40 could be really nifty and wold compete well with the A3 globally too.

the facelifted V70/XC70 and S80 will have the new VEA engines. They will offer far better torque characteristics and fuel economy than the current 3.2. I think the current T5 would be a great stop-gap though.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I do not know what the futur is bringing specifically for the US market but I've heard very similar things for the european market.

For the 2014 model year, the S60/V60 and XC60 are receiving sheetmetal updates. Now that Volvo Cars is intending on moving to a 6 year model cycle, it would make sense as far as a mid-life update.
I've heard that the S60/V60 are on 7 year model cycle. I've also heard that some refreshing details are coming for MY14. An exterior facelift and some interior upgrades with the new instrument cluster and the new seats look as seen on the V40.

I do believe a V60 Cross Country could generate those numbers.
Could work indeed, a way to show that you have paid extra cash for the AWD option.

In the case of the V40 and V40 Cross Country,...
China and asia will get a sedan based on the V40, you may get this S40 instead of the hatchback. Just a thought.

... there is a possibility that VCC is waiting for the VEA engines before sending these stateside if at all. With Volvo building their own engines, they can control costs better and customer satisfaction will be higher in the US with an eight-speed automatic rather than a Ford "PowerShift" transmission..
You absolutely do not want the Power**** double clutch transmission. It is really far from being a smooth transmission and absolutely not as good as the VW unit. This powershift with the 180hp V40 increase the 0-60 by a full second compare to the manual and guzzle a full 15% extra of gas.

It is also rumored that the V70/XC70 and S80 will recieve a minor facelift an update in 2014
Not the first time I've read that.

I think the SPA XC90 will be the first SPA car with production starting early 2014,
It will be indeed the first SPA car. I've heard that it is the introduction of the car which will be in early 2014. The start of production will be later in the end of 2014 beginning of 2015.

the new S80 and possible a new S90 (think A6 and A7) within 6 - 9 months.
As far as I know the next S80 will be called S90. The next V70 will be a V90.

It would be 3 series
next 90 with the newly developed SPA platform: XC90, S90 and V90 with a Cross country option pack for the wagon.
next 60 will followed on the SPA
next 40 looking for a partnership to share a smaller platform.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think that there will be a facelift on the XC60 first then S60 will change with the SPA .

Nothing in the USA (IMO) will really change without the SPA platform. Until then we wait.
The first one will be the XC90.

Only good thing is Volvo finance will be coming back online December 1st 2012.

I would personally like to see the C30 removed and V40 versions come in its place. Also remove the XC70 and bring in the V60, make the Hybrid the AWD version. The XC70 sales are way down and very slow. If we can add in the AWD hybrid we can then up the sales.

Thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree that "Cross Country" is a smart idea for leaving room in the xc line. It is less confusing.

With regards to the C30, I can see it being phased out by 2014 model and Not being replaced in the U.S.

A sedan version will spawn from v40, but not for the U.S.

S60 / V60 / XC60 will get refreshed for 2014 model with pedestrian airbag, VEA engines, no V60 hybrid for U.S. XC60 hybrid for U.S. gets the green light.

S80 will get a refresh 2015 model year, VEA engines, Ped. Airbag

XC70 name gets dropped, for V70 "Cross Country" following V40 "Cross Country" trend. V70 "Cross Country" will soldier on in the U.S. with poor sales.

XC80 will be added as the middle SUV between XC60 and XC90 in 2016. This will sell in China most definitely, and sell in U.S. It will be smaller than the current XC90. SPA, VEA, the works. It will compete with the Mercedes M and BMW X5 more properly. It will be S80's SUV

XC90 will be replaced in 3rd quarter of next year. SPA, VEA, the works. It will be bigger, and try to compete with Mercedes Benz GL and feature 3 rows of seating. It will not be as luxurious, but it will be way more luxurious than current model.

C70 will die off in 2014 year and be replaced by either a bigger convertible (6 series type) or smaller (3 series type). It will certainly not be based on a 40. Perhaps it won't get replaced until the next generation S60.

If I were to ask VCC a question, I would ask, why they didn't kill off the C70 sooner and got it replaced in time with the s60??? so sexy! Unfortunately the answer has a bit to do with the fact that the C70 is not that old (2007?)

Before Volvo makes a bigger sedan/fast back than the S80, they should consider introducing a large coupe/convertible duo, like the 6 series. It will be luxury, but not totally glared at like a full size sedan intro would create. A large coupe at $60,000 would not have a ton of competition, and would be a great way to slowly introduce Volvo to a first tier status.

I would like to tell VCC my congratulations for the 60 segment success in branding, price, sporty image.... Same thing needs to happen in an 80 tier, and a 90/100 tier.

40-60-80-100 come on VOLVO

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
XC80 will be added as the middle SUV between XC60 and XC90 in 2016. This will sell in China most definitely, and sell in U.S. It will be smaller than the current XC90. SPA, VEA, the works. It will compete with the Mercedes M and BMW X5 more properly. It will be S80's SUV

XC90 will be replaced in 3rd quarter of next year. SPA, VEA, the works. It will be bigger, and try to compete with Mercedes Benz GL and feature 3 rows of seating. It will not be as luxurious, but it will be way more luxurious than current model.
Interesting thoughts.

I would like to tell VCC my congratulations for the 60 segment success in branding, price, sporty image
Success? What country are you in? In the U.S., it's basically selling in last place and hasn't even come close to selling in numbers like either of it's prior generations.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Okay, so I've only been in the Volvo business for almost thirteen years but I have a few thoughts on the coming years. I'd like to know what you think.

For the 2014 model year, the S60/V60 and XC60 are receiving sheetmetal updates. Now that Volvo Cars is intending on moving to a 6 year model cycle, it would make sense as far as a mid-life update. I also believe it can be financially justified as it will coincide with the introduction of pedestrian airbags in these cars. It is rumored that these same cars will receive the VEA engines at some point next year too. I wouldn't be surprised to see electric rear axles on the AWD models. Now that demand for new cars in Europe is subsiding somewhat, Volvo Cars has the capacity to provide North America with cars they otherwise would not consider selling here. I am sure that VCC would rather sell some V60's in the U.S. and make less profit than not selling those units at all in Europe. Because the V60 is just a wagon version of the S60, EPA certification is taken care of. The V60 as we know it may not sell in the numbers that Volvo Cars North America wish for, but with the re-introduction of the V40 "Cross Country" I do believe a V60 Cross Country could generate those numbers. The A4 Allroad has had a very successful launch, at least here in the Seattle area and Stephan Jacoby knew that car was coming down the pike.

In the case of the V40 and V40 Cross Country, there is a possibility that VCC is waiting for the VEA engines before sending these stateside if at all. With Volvo building their own engines, they can control costs better and customer satisfaction will be higher in the US with an eight-speed automatic rather than a Ford "PowerShift" transmission.

It is also rumored that the V70/XC70 and S80 will recieve a minor facelift an update in 2014 to carry them through 2016 when the SPA cars arrive. I can see the XC70 being renamed V70 Cross Country globally and with the introduction of the VEA engines and their fuel mileage advantages, the "Cross Country" could become a strong seller again.

I think the SPA XC90 will be the first SPA car with production starting early 2014, the new S80 and possible a new S90 (think A6 and A7) within 6 - 9 months.

Thoughts?
My thoughts Tom is that this is all taking way to effin' long! Us that make a living on trying to sell this brand, will die on the vine trying just to sell S60's and XC60's for the next couple years. Face lifts are not going to rush people in the door. We need "new" cars and drive trains. 22 mpg in the XC60 is just not going to cut it for much longer. $700 leases on the XC60 does not encourage people to sign up. Now that the "Naughty Volvo" campaign has worn off, what's next? Now the rumor of the C30 production ending in December? What the hell? This is a fun car that has some legs, why stop production now? All of the news/tease we get on social media of the V40/XC is starting to get really frustrating. USA is their largest customer and we get the left overs? This pisses me off!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
My thoughts Tom is that this is all taking way to effin' long! Us that make a living on trying to sell this brand, will die on the vine trying just to sell S60's and XC60's for the next couple years. Face lifts are not going to rush people in the door. We need "new" cars and drive trains. 22 mpg in the XC60 is just not going to cut it for much longer. $700 leases on the XC60 does not encourage people to sign up. Now that the "Naughty Volvo" campaign has worn off, what's next? Now the rumor of the C30 production ending in December? What the hell? This is a fun car that has some legs, why stop production now? All of the news/tease we get on social media of the V40/XC is starting to get really frustrating. USA is their largest customer and we get the left overs? This pisses me off!
I. KNOW. And let's not forget that the U.S. gets the prize for being the most profitable as well seeing as we get none of those lower-end engine and exclusively the most powerful/expensive ones. You will never in hell see an S80 with a 1.6 liter diesel engine and on 16s in the U.S. without leather like you will in Europe. We should be getting all of Volvo's best models (ahem, V40...) and VCNA needs to sack-up and advertise the hell of it!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I. KNOW. And let's not forget that the U.S. gets the prize for being the most profitable
Uhm, who told you that?
well seeing as we get none of those lower-end engine and exclusively the most powerful/expensive ones. You will never in hell see an S80 with a 1.6 liter diesel engine and on 16s in the U.S. without leather like you will in Europe. We should be getting all of Volvo's best models (ahem, V40...) and VCNA needs to sack-up and advertise the hell of it!
I hope you now see that by separating your post into two separate segment, it is clear that they contradict each other. :cool:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Uhm, who told you that?

I hope you now see that by separating your post into two separate segment, it is clear that they contradict each other. :cool:
I was stating that we get Volvo's most expensive models. That's all Volvo buyers in the U.S. will ever get. In Europe you can get much cheaper versions of the same cars we have here. Therefore bringing VCNA the biggest profits.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Our cheapest Volvo is about as expensive as your most expensive version..

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was stating that we get Volvo's most expensive models. That's all Volvo buyers in the U.S. will ever get. In Europe you can get much cheaper versions of the same cars we have here. Therefore bringing VCNA the biggest profits.
We are getting the cars and engines that well sell here or at least most of them. Nobody will pay for a 180 HP S60 in the US unless the price was below 25k. I doubt that would even be possible. The only real way to be very profitable is to make the cars in the US. While its an idea on the table, it takes several years to set up. I believe that Jacoby has already done that with VW and will know how to execute this type of plan if the sales numbers are high enough in the USA to need a factory.

BTW anyone know how many cars a typical factory needs to churn out to be productive?

·
Registered
434 Posts
The "Cross Country" name was already used by Volvo in the UK with their first renamed 850 V70 wagon. Since Volvo have already returned using the "V40" name too, the "Cross Country," name is entirely acceptable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts