SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up the car today after replacing the steering rack, the a/c damper behind the glove box and a couple of sensors. Well aside from the fact that it only took the dealer about 15,000 thousand miles to diagnose the problem with the rack, first time told me it was the tires causing the vibration on the steering when turning...
, now the car is worse than before. The steering is quite heavy at low speeds so I suspect the speed sensing feature is not Ok, and secondly, they left something loose and now I have a clunking noise and vibration through the chassis. Going back on Tuesday
This of course is after changing both axles, control arm bushings and top motor mount three months ago. And 9 months or so after the slave cylinder failed. Did I mentioned new axles as well about a year ago...along with the XC90 fix... I keep thinking that one day it all would be ok. Aside from this, I love the car http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: My poor R is dying in the hands of incompetent dealer (vlvman)

Quote, originally posted by vlvman »
Find a new dealer. They all suck, some more than others.

If memory serves, Florida dealers haven't come up as being "top 10" from member experiences here. Might be SOL with regard to that.

Might be worth your time to have as much warranty stuff done with a dealer as best you can, and maybe investigate an independent service place?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know it might be a little far for you but the Volvo dealer in Margate is pretty good with the R. They are pretty mod friendly and will deal with SUM upgrades, etc for free. Talk to a SA called Michael if you decide to take the drive.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: My poor R is dying in the hands of incompetent dealer (mrumiano)

Quote, originally posted by mrumiano »
The steering is quite heavy at low speeds so I suspect the speed sensing feature is not Ok, and secondly, they left something loose and now I have a clunking noise and vibration through the chassis.

Sounds like they left the connector for the speed sensing feature off or loose. If its not hooked up, it will have very heavy steering at all times. I guess NO ONE drove the car after they put the rack in. They must have used a fork lift to move your car because if any DA actually drove it, they would know something is wrong. Its like not having Power Steering at all.

As for whatever was left loose, who knows since they didn't connect the rack sensors right. I wouldn't be surprised if the rack is even bolted in correctly or they left the cradle loose or sway bar end links loose/not connected.
This sucks for you. I would recommend you tell the service manager they should drug test the tech because anyone who would think everything was ok with your car must be HIGH!

I would contact VCNA as well and file a complaint. This is a major safety issue as well. If you were in any kind of emergency situation and you couldn't steer, you would own that dealership. Although, given what they did, I wouldn't want to own it. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: My poor R is dying in the hands of incompetent dealer (dradernh)

Quote, originally posted by dradernh »
I'd just sell it and move on; life is way too short to endure nightmarish sagas like this one.

Major +1. If the car is going to drain your wallet, enthusiasm and patience, it's time to look elsewhere. I don't like seeing awesome people in the community go, and I hope they stick around even after they leave the R (for whatever reason), but I think we all understand why most drivers leave their R's.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
sounds like a similar story to mine which lead me to go to Berwyn, PA for a new dealer. Keep in mind, thats a 140 mile one way trip for a compentent dealer.

The dealer I thought that they knew what they were doing didnt. When I was experiencing the steering rack issue, the dealer put in the part for the regular s60 and the dealer in PA found out for me and notified the dealer in NY letting them know that it was wrong. It doesnt surprise me that these dealers have a lack of mechanics that have the know how for specialty cars. Volvo should send their techs for training on cars like this since they are the everyday ordinary ride.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: My poor R is dying in the hands of incompetent dealer (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
Heads up.....I can read the polls, and I know who keeps starting the POOP POOP choice. Would appreciate if you didn't.

Thank you...it is getting old

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: My poor R is dying in the hands of incompetent dealer (GiRaff3)

Thanks guys. I'll try the Margate dealer, that's where I got the V for the wife anyway. The car has enough issues by itself to deal with the dealer bull on top of that. I remember once getting into an argument with teh service manager because he said something along the lines that "oh you guys with the R's, you drive the car pretty hard and then expect things not to go wrong" Don't even get me started....time for a cold one! http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: My poor R is dying in the hands of incompetent dealer (mrumiano)

Quote, originally posted by mrumiano »
I remember once getting into an argument with the service manager because he said something along the lines that "oh you guys with the R's, you drive the car pretty hard and then expect things not to go wrong" Don't even get me started....time for a cold one! http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

Yikes!! That would put me in a sour state of mind.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: My poor R is dying in the hands of incompetent dealer (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
Heads up.....I can read the polls, and I know who keeps starting the POOP POOP choice. Would appreciate if you didn't.

Can you do a poll, so we can guess who it is?

Modified by 850arrrsaylikepirate at 8:24 AM 3-30-2009

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: My poor R is dying in the hands of incompetent dealer (p0cket penguins)

Quote, originally posted by p0cket penguins »
terrorize them with these guys

Hoo, Hoo, Hoo is it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.