SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night car in front of me stopped short and I ran into the back of them, wonderful. front end smashed up, hood bent, lights smashed, airbag went off. Anyone know if they are going to total my caR? Anyone have similar problem, how did insurance turn out for you?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Almost exact same incident happened to me about four months ago except my airbag did not deploy. Needed new front end, lights, etc. for almost $6000 installed and painted by the body shop. There was no talk of totaling the car and my insurance company was great about it - no problem there. I did use the accident to replace the stock intercooler with the IPD intercooler because since the front end was off it was a prime time to make the switch. I was without the car for about four weeks. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
car stopped short? short of what? sounds like you just read ended them.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
car stopped short? short of what? sounds like you just read ended them.
Lol Exactly my thought, not keeping proper distance and/or not paying attention to the road.

Without pictures its hard to tell how bad your car is damaged however being an 07, I dont think they will total it. Your ride is worth at least 15k and from your description it sounds like the damage should not be more than 10k.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Depends on the miles on the car, etc etc. Just make sure they don't replace it with a steel hood, and get a brand new OEM aluminum one that's specific to the R's.

If the passenger side airbag deployed, and not just the steering wheel then you're in for big $$$$$ unless they can find a good used dash.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Hopefully just the driver side went off (pending angle and sensor detect naturally); if just the driver and being you're an 07SR, probably won't be totalled but if both went off, it could be iffy. Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yeah, comon, don't bull**** us. He didn't stop short, you rear-ended. "Stop-short" means he quick hit his brakes 10 ft short of where you thought he would, and you love tapped him. You just plain out tried to balls deep the car in front of you.
Regardless, glad to hear you're okay. Good luck with the vehicle recovery.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Airbag going off almost guarantees a totaled car... You probably need a new seatbelt system because that locks up and that alone is alot of money. If the hood is bent up and lights smashed, you need a new radiator, IC, and all those goodies. Headlights alone will run you $2,000 add airbag system which will be a few grand and a new hood bumper all the other small parts and its quickly going to go over $10k. :(

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Airbag going off almost guarantees a totaled car... You probably need a new seatbelt system because that locks up and that alone is alot of money. If the hood is bent up and lights smashed, you need a new radiator, IC, and all those goodies. Headlights alone will run you $2,000 add airbag system which will be a few grand and a new hood bumper all the other small parts and its quickly going to go over $10k. :(
Yup.

What really matters at the end of the day is that you're okay.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Put some pictures up man...

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
just one airbag went off? its the airbags that make me wonder...
There's a sensor in the passenger seat to turn off the passenger side airbag. Good thing too, if that went off, the entire dash would need replacing. For now it's just a steering wheel cover and airbag. Seatbelt will need to be replaced too since they have cartridges that go off in an accident. Not sure if all go off or just the ones for the seatbelts being worn.

Also, come on guys, this is a fellow R owner. We at least owe him our sympathy. I was in an accident a bit ago and for both parties it feels miserable regardless of whose fault it is. Bashing him is honestly not going to do anything productive for anyone.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Sorry, that does suck. You have some nice stuff on your caR, hopefully it won't be a total loss.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident - glad you're ok which is the most important thing. Slightly off topic, what are these seatbelt cartridges that "go off" during an accident? I know the nylon will become stressed but I'm not familiar with the other. Regarding the passenger airbag deactivation - I have an '08 V70 and a message lights in the overhead console indicating deactivation when nobody is seated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input, didn't have the heart to take pictures of it, too saddening. And, yes, I know what everyone calls it and I did it so there, doesn't mean it feels good. I'll let everyone know later if there's another one off to the graveyard.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Thanks for the input, didn't have the heart to take pictures of it, too saddening. And, yes, I know what everyone calls it and I did it so there, doesn't mean it feels good. I'll let everyone know later if there's another one off to the graveyard.
Take pictures. You'll regret it years down the road if you don't.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
oh that ka-ching sound I hear is the insurance pool going up for everybody.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Slightly off topic, what are these seatbelt cartridges that "go off" during an accident? I know the nylon will become stressed but I'm not familiar with the other.
There are small charges that go off that tension the seatbelts in an accident called seatbelt pretentioners.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts