SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I bought a 2006 S40. The PO told me the clutch had been done in the past year, so three months later when the clutch slave went, I decided to do the replacement. What started out as a weekend project ended up dragging on. I just could not get the trans off. I ended up hiring two people to get the trans off and they couldn't. I ended up hurting my back severely and could not finish the job. After much searching I found a mechanic willing to change out the slave and put the car back together... I ended up getting a clutch kit because the slave cylinder failure typically soaks the clutch in brake fluid and requires replacement anyway. I left it all at the shop and let the mechanic fix it. He called me to let me know that the flywheel was in so-so condition- I decided to chance it and not replace the DMF ( He quoted me 1200 for the DMF alone!) I got the car back today and he commented that the flywheel must have been in worse shape than he thought, because it seems to slip a lot. I was even more surprised when he told me the clutch had been worn down to the PP (Remember my opening note about it being a year old!) The new clutch slips badly! I can't imagine how, regardless of the flywheel's condition a clutch with friction material intact would not grip as well as a low or bare PP- regardless of the age of the FW and whether or not he sanded the surface- it's the same surface and the clutch does not grip it well. The kit was the Luk kit I got from FCP. I also have to push the pedal against the floor as hard as I can to disengage the clutch. I think the system needs to be bled a second time, which should fix the pedal issue. Fortunately I can do this myself. This mechanic rescued me when I got in too deep on this project, and that is not lost on me. If the bleed does not fix both issues, he may have to drop the trans again. Of course, when I dropped off the car, it was already apart, so the half the book time he charged me for the job was just money in his pocket anyway. How do I approach this and what do I tell him? Also, does anyone else have any additional suggestions from a mechanical standpoint what might be going on to cause the new clutch not to grip the FW? A friend of mine who posts on this forum had a few suggestions- perhaps the mechanic didn't clean the FW properly, among other things. It is at all likely that new clutch is just defective? What else can/should I say or look at?
Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update... followed procedure to adjust shifter linkage- trans in N, remove 1 cable and reconnect it. I have second gear but not 1,5,6 or R. Having it towed back to the mechanic- can’t even back it out of the driveway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts