SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
While all of you gentlemen have made some good points, is this really the correct forum for this discussion?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
That sounds like old info. For one, I don't have "canned sealant", it's a pump that can be used with or without sealant. https://www.slime.com/us/products/auto/tire-repair/tire-repair-kits/safety-spair.php

You are correct, you still need to have the tire repaired/patched, but the point is to get home, not have a permanent solution. I see it as cheap insurance.
Agree to disagree then. I'd still take a spare any day. I'm not totally down on the slime kits, they have their place, but I just see them as by far the worst option out there.

FWIW, in my trunk besides the spare tire (full size btw), I also have a 12v air compressor, tire plug kit as well as other roadside necessities. I'm not interested in getting stuck on the side of the road and having to wait for help to arrive.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Agree to disagree then. I'd still take a spare any day. I'm not totally down on the slime kits, they have their place, but I just see them as by far the worst option out there.

FWIW, in my trunk besides the spare tire (full size btw), I also have a 12v air compressor, tire plug kit as well as other roadside necessities. I'm not interested in getting stuck on the side of the road and having to wait for help to arrive.
I'm not sure what we're disagreeing on...Is a full sized spare good insurance? Absolutely, I certainly wouldn't take one out of my trunk. OTOH, I've never had to use one and won't go out of my way to add one if it doesn't come with the car.

I could have used an extra battery in the trunk when my car wouldn't start a couple times, but I don't have one of those either.

I merely asked for some evidence of air compressor applied Slime "ruining tires" as you stated after I offered it up as a low cost option to get you home with a small puncture. Other than that, I don't disagree with anything you've said.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Ok so "other than that" we agree. :beer:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gentlemen,

May I respectfully urge you both to either take this debate to the PM venue, or to a more appropriate SwedeSpeed forum? This subject matter clearly does not relate to OSD.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Gentlemen,

May I respectfully urge you both to either take this debate to the PM venue, or to a more appropriate SwedeSpeed forum? This subject matter clearly does not relate to OSD.
I respect what you're saying, but I can't change the forum where this discussion resides. Isn't there a moderator who can move this 6 year old thread to the appropriate forum?!?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Just to clarify, I didn't say I've never had a flat, rather that I've never used the spare. The Slime kit would have resolved the flat in every case.

Certainly, I agree that the one time in 10, 20 or 30 years you need it, it would be great to have, but we also have cell phones and AAA so the downside risk is reduced.
I spend a fair amount of time many miles from a service station and often without cell coverage. So a spare is a requirement for me. I ordered one when I ordered my car.

121 - 127 of 127 Posts