SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
A couple of comments. First, if removing a major piece of emergency equipment that has been in Volvos since the beginning in favor of a "new and improved" version is such a great idea, why isn't it highlighted in the sales literature? Its not mentioned at all. But, Volvo recognizes that many owners may wish to purchase the "optional" spare wheel and devotes several pages in the user manual to its use. Second, if they recognize that people will buy them, why not at least keep the wheel well in the trunk for those people who choose that option.

As can be seen, I am not the only person who thinks the wheel belongs in the trunk as a standard feature. But, I'm dealing with it, thanks to people like Bob and William, and the people at Volvo who worked with me to purchase the optional spare. I am very much looking forward to my new S60 and don't appreciate being called a complainer for pointing out what I consider to be a design fault. Maybe some have never had a flat or sidewall problem. Depends on where you live and the state of the roads there. But plenty of us have had these problems, and therefore have real concern over this equipment decision. Lets move on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Moving away from having any spare is becoming more & more common in Euro/UK spec cars NOT just Volvo. Some companies are offering no/low cost options of do-nuts. Having no spare removes a lot of extra mass an improves fuel economy and CO2 emissions rating (the latter is the real driving force as CO2 emmisions also impact car tax rating)
But it's actually quite expensive.
The repair cannisters are usually single use items and need to be replaced obviously. (cost about half the price of a tyre in UK) Once used, the tyre with the gunk in is supposed to be replaced as it's not deemed a permanent repair and is supposedly not suitable for everyday driving thereafter.
Moral - make sure you get a do-nut and don't buy a 2nd hand car with only a cannister fix option - coz you never know.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a new S60 T6 AWD driver owner who agrees with jaybrams. I feel stupid for assuming that, while the salesperson told me that there was no spare, that my car had the self supporting tires (SST). I should have read the brochure a little bit further, because it clearly states that "SST requires Njord 17-inch aluminum wheels." The T6 AWD comes with (non SST) Sleipner 18-inch wheels.

Just months ago, I was driving on a highway with new Michelins (on my last car) and had a catastrophic tire failure. This was the first (and only) time this happened, but it happened. Thank goodness that car had a spare and I wasn't stranded in the middle of nowhere. Or that this could've happened to my wife and child in a car that didn't have a spare.

For those that say that they've never had a flat, I've never had a deadly car accident, but I still have insurance.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I am a new S60 T6 AWD driver owner who agrees with jaybrams. I feel stupid for assuming that, while the salesperson told me that there was no spare, that my car had the self supporting tires (SST). I should have read the brochure a little bit further, because it clearly states that "SST requires Njord 17-inch aluminum wheels." The T6 AWD comes with (non SST) Sleipner 18-inch wheels.
Your local Volvo dealer will be more than happy to sell you the spare.........so you can lose 1/2 the already tight trunk space.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Your local Volvo dealer will be more than happy to sell you the spare.........so you can lose 1/2 the already tight trunk space.
Wow...hyperbole in all its glory... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Having no spare is just unacceptable, there is absolutely no meaning defending this.
Besides its volvo who designed the car right!

·
Registered
723 Posts
The biggest catch is that once you use the inflator goo, the tire is not servicable and can't be fixed, brand new tire w/screw hole, use the goo and it's scrap..

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Just stating the facts. Alright, maybe you'll only lose 1/3 of the trunk space. Close enough.
Oh, so now you are either negotiating or backtracking! How about you do us a favor and measure the exact dimensions of the available spare tire and see how many cu.ft it will occupy; then let us know rather than shoot off your hip in 1/2s or 1/3s...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Having no spare is just unacceptable, there is absolutely no meaning defending this.
Besides its volvo who designed the car right!
I am not defending that. I am defending against senseless and baseless exaggeration.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Oh, so now you are either negotiating or backtracking! How about you do us a favor and measure the exact dimensions of the available spare tire and see how many cu.ft it will occupy; then let us know rather than shoot off your hip in 1/2s or 1/3s...
Better yet Mr. Corporate, let's hear you defend your employer's stupidity.........once again (especially if the salesman are not being honest with the customer).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Look, I'm only 3 weeks away from picking up my car. I have arranged to purchase the spare. No where in the car brochure does it state what, or if any, spare is included. It seems with a change like this, Volvo should have informed their customers as to what I consider a substantial change in equipment. Most people just are not going to check their trunk for this item on the showroom floor. I didn't.

That being said, an sidewall flat or tire failure at night, weekend, or on a country road is not going to be fixed by the kit Volvo furnishes. The purchaser is really forced into buying the spare. And, it does take up a substantial amount of room in the trunk.

Now, I'm very excited to pick up my car this month, and I did purchase the spare. But, I do feel Volvo blew it on this one. Volvos are great cars - thats why I'm buying one. But, this is a mistake of theirs and when more people discover the missing spare, I wouldn't be surprised if it causes lost sales. When I drive locally I won't need to carry the spare (but service should be available). When I take a trip, I will need the spare and the trunk room for my stuff. Well, I hope for next year Volvo gets the message. I know many brands are also skipping the spares, but any weight savings is not offset by leaving out the spare, despite what a corporate MBA may say who is poring over a spreadsheet.

Yannis, thanks for hearing this out. Maybe you can report back that this is an unpleasant surprise to buyers and at the least, should be divulged in the S60 broshures.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
wA little further research on the 'net yields this: 1) many brands from Chevy to BMW have been leaving the spares/donuts out - some as early as 2002. 2) Many new/used car buyers are very surprised (like me) when they get the car home and find no spare. 3) A basic breakdown of people shows that people who haven't had a bad flat or blowout see this as no big deal. Those who have had such a problem see it as a very big deal. Apparently they are left out to lower weight and improve CAFE standards.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
1) many brands from Chevy to BMW have been leaving the spares/donuts out - some as early as 2002
How many others omit the spare without installing run-flat tires? (The S60 is the only instance I've heard of, but Volvo can't be the first to market with this bad idea.)

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
How many others omit the spare without installing run-flat tires? (The S60 is the only instance I've heard of, but Volvo can't be the first to market with this bad idea.)
There are others.............but not from a brand that touts safety.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Yannis, thanks for hearing this out. Maybe you can report back that this is an unpleasant surprise to buyers and at the least, should be divulged in the S60 broshures.
Jay,

You are welcome and I have.

Unlike what one or two persons here are trying to make the rest believe, I am not defending this. It was a decision that was made a long time ago and, naturally, there would be some reactions. Volvo is not the first not the last brand that has eliminated the donut, for many of the reasons others have already brought up. Similar reactions took place when donuts entered the fray back in the '90s. People were in shock that the cars would not come with a full spare.

The fact of the matter is that spare tires are going to go away:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7249460.html

In the meantime, it is explained in the owner's manual that the car does not come with a spare tire plus a prospective buyer has the option of buying a spare tire if he/she wants.

Last, and this has nothing to do with you but I need to address it: I resent insinuations of salespeople being dishonest about this (when it has been documented in other threads that it has been disclosed). There is one person, here, who has had a chronic agenda against a Volvo label (for his own reasons) and that results in baseless and constantly negative comments.

Constructive criticism could bring changes. Public feedback is always welcome (actually, it is desired). If a company has made a decision that certain people feel strongly against it, please provide feedback. In our case, we can gather opinions/comments and submit to the appropriate department(s) for further consideration. Calling names, writing words that have no merit and/or lack facts is not very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I would like to know what is the difference. If you have SSTs, how would that help you if the tire blew out and was rendered useless, anyway.

In punctures that do not affect the sidewall, a SST will allow you to travel for 50 miles until you can find a mechanic/tech to check it out and determine if that can be repaired.
The same applies to a tire that has been sealed with the sealant kit provided in some of the Volvo models. The tire is not ruined just because the kit has sealed the puncture.

There are quite a few cars out there that have these kits but no SSTs. A few that come to mind:

* SMART
* Leaf
* Prius (not 100% sure on this, as far as the latest model is concerned)
* Some Cadillac models
etc.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would like to know what is the difference. If you have SSTs, how would that help you if the tire blew out and was rendered useless, anyway.
In a catastrophic failure (tire so damaged it's torn off the rim) the SSTs have no advantage. But in a more typical low/zero pressure scenario, SSTs at least allow you to continue driving the vehicle to a safe spot to evaluate the situation. All is still not well though, as explained below.

GrecianVolvo said:
In punctures that do not affect the sidewall, a SST will allow you to travel for 50 miles until you can find a mechanic/tech to check it out and determine if that can be repaired.
The same applies to a tire that has been sealed with the sealant kit provided in some of the Volvo models. The tire is not ruined just because the kit has sealed the puncture.
My understanding is that any tire (even an SST) is ruined after driving more than just a very short distance without air, and must be replaced. On an AWD car with some treadwear, that means all four tires must be replaced after a simple flat if the driver keeps going without air. Awfully expensive for what might be as simple as a screw in the tread that could be fixed for a few bucks at the local tire shop (after driving there on a spare.)

GrecianVolvo said:
There are quite a few cars out there that have these kits but no SSTs. A few that come to mind:

* SMART
* Leaf
* Prius (not 100% sure on this, as far as the latest model is concerned)
* Some Cadillac models
etc.
Thanks for the list. Other than possibly the Cadillacs, those are all specialty vehicles with good reason not to have a traditional spare tire. I'm still surprised at the exclusion in the new S60, but Volvo must have good reason for it.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I'm still surprised at the exclusion in the new S60, but Volvo must have good reason for it.
As another poster pointed out, the muffler placement for the dual exhausts probably did it in.

41 - 60 of 127 Posts