SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Same "luck" here...had to change tires on every vehicle I owned and more than once...

A couple of times tire was punctured by the large metal object at highway speeds and shredded before I could safely stop...once 30 miles away from anything... in pre-cell phone era...unloaded the trunk, changed the tire and loaded the trunk back without one single car passing by...

I hear the reasoning but read it as a corner-cutting measure...the US is different from the Europe space- and population density-wise...we still have miles and miles of deserted, scarcely populated areas between the towns...

I am with people who believe that the tempa spare tire is a must...

·
Registered
246 Posts
On my 2005 S60R with 17" wheels I had 14 (yes 14!) flat tires in the 20 months that I owned that car. That being said, a spare tire for me is a MUST. I just called my dealer and was told that the spares are added at port upon request. All is good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, I just heard back from my dealer. The dealer emailed back and forth with Volvo Sweden and was told no dice. The car comes with the inflation kit, and "no donut is available for that car." The dealer was told it could order a donut that would fit the car, but is not specifically designed for the 2012 S60. Apparently, Volvo is pushing the inflation kit hard and trying to discourage buyers from getting donuts. Now, I have to decide whether to get a donut from the dealer not spec'd. for my car, or see if they'll let me order run flats at this point. My concern with the donut is that it is not specified for my car, and if I use it, will Volvo say that any repairs are no longer subject to warranty for using a non-spec. wheel? The dealer also said you have to replace the cannister after each use. Not good.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Well, I just heard back from my dealer. The dealer emailed back and forth with Volvo Sweden and was told no dice. The car comes with the inflation kit, and "no donut is available for that car." The dealer was told it could order a donut that would fit the car, but is not specifically designed for the 2012 S60. Apparently, Volvo is pushing the inflation kit hard and trying to discourage buyers from getting donuts. Now, I have to decide whether to get a donut from the dealer not spec'd. for my car, or see if they'll let me order run flats at this point. My concern with the donut is that it is not specified for my car, and if I use it, will Volvo say that any repairs are no longer subject to warranty for using a non-spec. wheel? The dealer also said you have to replace the cannister after each use. Not good.
There is a spare tire and wheel kit for the S60 that your dealer can order. Here is the Volvo part number and description of this item from Volvo:

31316302 Tempa spare wheel kit

The all new Volvo S60 does not come equipped with a spare tire from the factory. The car comes equipped with a tire repair kit instead. There are many customers however, that prefer a spare wheel solution to the tire repair kit. For those customers, Volvo offers a S60 Tempa Spare wheel kit. The kit consists of a Tempa Spare Wheel, textile storage bag and straps to secure attachment. The tire Dimensions are 125 / 80 / R17. A jack and wheel bolt tool are standard with the car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for that information. I will have my dealer look into it tomorrow. Am I better off upgrading to runflats? My friend who has a BMW says the sidewalls are thick and can with stand most side impacts that a regular tire would not. I would also not have to give up my trunk for the spare. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Am I better off upgrading to runflats? My friend who has a BMW says the sidewalls are thick and can with stand most side impacts that a regular tire would not. I would also not have to give up my trunk for the spare. Thanks.
If you are really going to worry about it, yes. Otherwise save your money for something else.

I have driven close to 8,000 miles in the S60 I am currently driving in and I never thought one moment about flat tires; even when my family and I drove from Chicago-Philadelphia-Chicago (about 1,600 miles roundtrip)...I just enjoyed driving every single one of those miles! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info, William. I ordered an S60 T5 for May OSD delivery. My dealer did show me that there was no spare. I was not too concerned since the car comes with 5-year
free roadside assistance. I figure if enough buyers have flats and need to get towed, Volvo will add the spare donut.

What is the approximate charge for the Tempa spare wheel kit?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just my 2 cents here - Having owned 2 98-00 V70 AWD cars, I got pretty used to the idea of not having a spare tire or donut. I ditched them in both cars because the AWD system is so sensitive that using the donut was almost a guarantee of ruining the viscous coupling and/or angle gear. I put in one of the Slime kits in the trunk which I have used on other vehicles (including a small ambulance in a pinch) and the kits work pretty well.

Driving 6500 miles around the country this summer I didn't give any thought to not having a donut or spare. The same was true driving 1600 miles through Norway the summer before in the other wagon. Try to be vigilant about tire pressure and they'll last a long time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I was looking to buy this week, the very first thing my salesman did when we walked up to the car was open the trunk and show me the repair kit and no spare. They obviously know its a sticky subject.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have decided to go with William's suggestion of the spare tire and wheel kit from the dealer. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The dealer said they will make sure to point out the inflation kit to buyers in the future to avoid surprises.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I hear the reasoning but read it as a corner-cutting measure...the US is different from the Europe space- and population density-wise...we still have miles and miles of deserted, scarcely populated areas between the towns...

I am with people who believe that the tempa spare tire is a must...
OMG.........another agreement with Gascos. :eek:

Volvo is trying to sell the customer a bill of goods by gaining rear leg room at the expense of trunk space........which is actually an even bigger loss of trunk space since the P2 had a spare.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I agree with Magoon and Gasco as well. This is about saving $$. And probably about weight as well.
Frankly if you have a serious blowout, a kit is not going to help.
For those of you who have had a tire blow in a major way (like cutting the sidewall on a piece of sharp metal or a bad pothole), then a patch kit or a can of foam isn't going to do the trick.
Most run flats are compromise tires (read articles in Car & Driver for confirmation) from a handling perspective and ride comfort.

And while it may save natural resources not having a spare tire, who knows what nasty chemicals are in those cans?
I had two flats with my S60R and I was thankful for the spare. I've become very efficient at changing tires over the years! The AWD system should not be negatively effected by short drives on a smaller-sized tire. I also had a flat in the XC90 as well.

A proper spare is a must!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks like I hit a raw nerve! I hope Volvo takes note. They are trying to rebuild sales in the US with the new S60 which has brought excellent reviews. I think taking the spare out is one of the dumbest moves they could make. People attracted to Volvo, among other reasons, appreciate the safety features of the brand. This decision by some MBA and his/her calculator will do more damage to sales then Volvo expects. I will make do with the small spare, but at the cost of trunk space. Its ironic that the operator's manual devotes several pages to use and storage of the optional spare. Obviously, Volvo knew there would be some blowback from this decision.

I must complemenBob and William for their helpful suggestions on this and other questions I have had.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Oh not even close...you do not know what "a raw nerve" is here on SS...but I hope that the VCNA does take a note and, at very least, adds a spare tire as an option to the standard OSD order form for the S60.

And yes - our resident OSD gurus rock!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
An email from Volvo just informed me they have escalated my concerns to the Product Management Department. At least they're taking this seriously.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 92,565 miles in my 2002 Jaguar and the spare is still a virgin... In my usual travels (Southern California Urban travel) I don't really worry about it as roadside assistance should be quick and easy (BTW - does anyone have experience with the volvo roadside assistance...think I'll keep AAA for my other cars anyway). However should I travel through desolate areas (Arizon, New Mexico and Texas come to mind) I will definitely carry a spare. Luckily one of my other cars has compatible lug bolt pattern and I can use spare from it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I suspect that a lot of the complainers on this thread have missed the point entirely: the reason that Volvo did not include a spare with the S60 is, quite simply, that a spare, even a donut, will simply not fit in the well underneath the cargo area floor. Same applies to the C70, which also lacks a spare. I would further hazard a guess that if Volvo had in fact included a donut in a bag as standard equipment with every S60, there would still be whining that it took up valuable trunk space. You can't have your donut and eat it too, to paraphrase an old saw. VCC would be damned if it did and damned if it didn't.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I suspect that a lot of the complainers on this thread have missed the point entirely: the reason that Volvo did not include a spare with the S60 is, quite simply, that a spare, even a donut, will simply not fit in the well underneath the cargo area floor. Same applies to the C70, which also lacks a spare..
Well, it only took a few days for someone to come in with the correct answer to all this! :D

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I suspect that a lot of the complainers on this thread have missed the point entirely: the reason that Volvo did not include a spare with the S60 is, quite simply, that a spare, even a donut, will simply not fit in the well underneath the cargo area floor. Same applies to the C70, which also lacks a spare. I would further hazard a guess that if Volvo had in fact included a donut in a bag as standard equipment with every S60, there would still be whining that it took up valuable trunk space. You can't have your donut and eat it too, to paraphrase an old saw. VCC would be damned if it did and damned if it didn't.
You present it in a such way that Volvo did not DESIGN the S60. Of course we know that it does not fit...and we critique the DESIGN, not the "oops" omission...

I thought that the posts were quite clear about sacrificing the trunk space to get some extra rear leg room in the overall smallish car... that IS called corner cutting approach for a reason...

21 - 40 of 127 Posts