SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ordered my S60 T5 a month ago, the salesperson told me the car had a donut, no full size spare like my present Audi A4. Its clearly my fault for not checking under the trunk mat. I rode by the dealership today and stopped in to see if the T5 arrived (it had). Test drove it and loved it. Then I opened the trunk and lifted the mat. To my surprise, there is not even a dunkin donut there. Just a canister to spray gunk into a tire that has lost pressure. My salesperson wasn't in today, but another salesperson expressed a similar sentiment to mine. I asked, ok, what if I have a bubble in the sidewall on a long trip on a sunday evening. The response: you'll need a flat bed to tow you to a dealer.

I'm sorry - but that is unacceptable. This is Volvo - known for safety. They offer a gadget to make sure I won't hit a pedestrian in daylight (not nighttime), but save money by eliminating a donut (which Kias and Hyundais offer). I think this is awful. Volvo knows most buyers won't look under the trunk bottom and won't see the stupid canister they give you instead. The saleguy tells me, "you can buy an extra wheel and tire". Yeah, and take up half the 12.4 cubic feet of the trunk.

This will be my fifth Volvo, and first OSD. I think its terrible that this safety feature, universally accepted by every brand, is where they choose to cut corners. (not to mention the cheap trunk lid liner that is not tucked in to the lid like it is on Audi or BMW).

I have been a longtime Volvo fan, since I was a kid - and always held Volvo's respect for safety as something that would never be compromised by this great car company. But, truth be told - this is not a run flat equipped car - and I believe it is irresponsible for Volvo to sell cars without one of the most basic safety features that all cars have.

Reactions: nanpetty6

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
That is kind of a raw deal. On the flip side I've never used my donut spare b/c I have a patch kit and air pump on board instead.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Volvo knows most buyers won't look under the trunk bottom and won't see the stupid canister they give you instead. The saleguy tells me, "you can buy an extra wheel and tire". Yeah, and take up half the 12.4 cubic feet of the trunk.
I understand your frustration. Nevertheless, you are insinuating that Volvo is being deceptive in that we hope you will not pop up the trunk mat to see what's under. I think that is unfair as there is absolutely no hidden agenda.

By the way, you can buy a spare donut (which it will have to go inside the trunk but it will not take as much space as a regular extra full size wheel and tire).

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Jay,

By chance, did you get the 17" Njord wheels with the "self supporting tires"? (SST). They are designed to allow you to drive (at a reduced speed) in the event of a tire failure. Just asking.

IM me and I will try to get you some more detailed info as to WHY there is not a donut.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the wheel upgrade, but not the run flats. I guess I'm particularly frustrated because back in 1992, I was driving on a Saturday on the NJ Turnpike from New York to Washington and stopped at a service station for gas in my 1991 940. The service station attendent pointed out that I had a sidewall bubble on one tire. The donut in the trunk would not be advisable to drive with for the remaining150 miles of my trip at turnpike speeds. He sold me a non-matching tire of the correct size for like, $500. I had little choice on the Turnpike. Now, 90% of the time, a donut would work and I can accept that. But a sidewall puncture or bubble will not be resolved by Volvo's inflation kit. That may work for a nail in the tread, but otherwise is useless. So, I believe Volvo is leaving its customers unprotected in a basic safety issue.

As far as being able to order a donut, that was a not an option I was aware of. If memory serves, it is not listed as an option on the Tourist price list. If I knew in advance, I would have ordered either the runflats or the donut. My order confirmation indicates no changes are allowed at this point. I would definitely order one or the other if that could be done. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is this true for all models? No spares or donuts?? Wow, it never even dawned on me to ask or look in the trunk for either.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Folks,

For domestically-delivered S60s, you can order a donut in a bag to go, which is a port-added option. You can also order one from the parts department of your local dealer, but it is way more expensive to do it that way. I don't know if the first option would be available for an OSD vehicle, but I suspect not. OSD can be a two-edged sword in many respects: you save in some ways, get a lot more choices when ordering the car, but you also lose in other ways. It is not the panacea that its ardent advocates would have one believe.

In any event, I would most certainly not recommend getting the 17" Njord rims with SSTs, which is a $1000 option. As I have already posted in another thread, the Conti SSTs are noisy and also deteriorate the ride quality.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am getting S40 - donut or spare included or not??

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am looking to get a XC60 thru OSD...same qs as DebitNM donut or spare included or not??

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Wow, I don't even like the idea of no spare with run-flats. No spare with conventional tires is just asking to be stranded! Towing companies will be thrilled...

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I ordered my S60 T5 a month ago, the salesperson told me the car had a donut, no full size spare like my present Audi A4. Its clearly my fault for not checking under the trunk mat. I rode by the dealership today and stopped in to see if the T5 arrived (it had). Test drove it and loved it. Then I opened the trunk and lifted the mat. To my surprise, there is not even a dunkin donut there. Just a canister to spray gunk into a tire that has lost pressure. My salesperson wasn't in today, but another salesperson expressed a similar sentiment to mine. I asked, ok, what if I have a bubble in the sidewall on a long trip on a sunday evening. The response: you'll need a flat bed to tow you to a dealer.

I'm sorry - but that is unacceptable. This is Volvo - known for safety. They offer a gadget to make sure I won't hit a pedestrian in daylight (not nighttime), but save money by eliminating a donut (which Kias and Hyundais offer). I think this is awful. Volvo knows most buyers won't look under the trunk bottom and won't see the stupid canister they give you instead. The saleguy tells me, "you can buy an extra wheel and tire". Yeah, and take up half the 12.4 cubic feet of the trunk.

This will be my fifth Volvo, and first OSD. I think its terrible that this safety feature, universally accepted by every brand, is where they choose to cut corners. (not to mention the cheap trunk lid liner that is not tucked in to the lid like it is on Audi or BMW).

I have been a longtime Volvo fan, since I was a kid - and always held Volvo's respect for safety as something that would never be compromised by this great car company. But, truth be told - this is not a run flat equipped car - and I believe it is irresponsible for Volvo to sell cars without one of the most basic safety features that all cars have.
Unfortunately Americans are not used to European spec vehicles. Your Audi/Vw products are sold only in North America and Australia with spare tires. The Conti Repair kit is designed to repair 98% of all flats. Yes, that's not all of them, but from an environmental and weight standpoint, it's hard to justify a spare tire. I'm not going to make up a statistic as some might, but only because I don't remember the real number. A staggering majority of vehicles NEVER use the spare tire in their entire service life. For those that decide they NEED a spare tire, they are available as PORT installed options or as an accessory through your parts department. You will soon see that Audi and VW will be ditching their spares as Mercedes Benz and BMW already have.

To clarify, Pedestrian Detection is still active at night, but just as in a human eye, if the car can't "see" the person, it may fail to activate. If you are in a well-lit downtown area, pedestrian detection will still save your tush.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
DebitNM - Your S40 will have a spare.

Shobhit - Your XC60 will have a spare.

Currently their are two Volvo models that do not automatically come with a spare tire and wheel for the US market: the C70 and the S60.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question: How many uses can you get from the Conti Repair Kit? Is it replaceable? Finally, if you purchase a donut - do you also need a jack and wrench, or are those included in the car to begin with? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The donut spare in a bag is (or at least was) a no charge option for the C70... why not do the same for the S60's?

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
The donut spare in a bag is (or at least was) a no charge option for the C70... why not do the same for the S60's?
Correct...but that choice has to be made at the time of the order. I have given Jay the info to try and have it added to his S60 order...if that is possible.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Correct...but that choice has to be made at the time of the order.
Is a temporary spare in fact a no charge option for the S60? When I ordered my car I had requested a no charge spare, but the salesman was not sure if it was in the options list when placing the order. Not having a spare is not really an option on the streets of NYC. I really hope my car comes with one.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Unfortunately Americans are not used to European spec vehicles. Your Audi/Vw products are sold only in North America and Australia with spare tires. The Conti Repair kit is designed to repair 98% of all flats. Yes, that's not all of them, but from an environmental and weight standpoint, it's hard to justify a spare tire. I'm not going to make up a statistic as some might, but only because I don't remember the real number. A staggering majority of vehicles NEVER use the spare tire in their entire service life. For those that decide they NEED a spare tire, they are available as PORT installed options or as an accessory through your parts department. You will soon see that Audi and VW will be ditching their spares as Mercedes Benz and BMW already have.

To clarify, Pedestrian Detection is still active at night, but just as in a human eye, if the car can't "see" the person, it may fail to activate. If you are in a well-lit downtown area, pedestrian detection will still save your tush.
Personally I would not order run flat tires since they are harder and usually have compromised grip.

I would be very interested in seeing stats on how many people use their spare tire. Maybe I am just unlucky, but I have changed tires on just about every car I've owned due to a flat.

The difference in mileage because of the spare tire is likely so little it cannot even really be measured. There is definitely a weight penality, but that is one I will gladly take.
If you want to save weight, take away Pedestrian Safety, City Safety and lane depature warnings. Driving an XC60 D5 for two weeks, these systems were annoying. Safety? Pay attention to your driving!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I got a nice bubble in the sidewall of my Acura TL-Type S back in 02 while driving on the Pulaski Skyway in Jersey City. Usually there is not a problem continue driving for a while. Honestly, I think I drove 1000-2000 miles before getting the tire changed (and rim repaired).

·
Registered
714 Posts
Personally I would not order run flat tires since they are harder and usually have compromised grip.

I would be very interested in seeing stats on how many people use their spare tire. Maybe I am just unlucky, but I have changed tires on just about every car I've owned due to a flat.

The difference in mileage because of the spare tire is likely so little it cannot even really be measured. There is definitely a weight penality, but that is one I will gladly take.
If you want to save weight, take away Pedestrian Safety, City Safety and lane depature warnings. Driving an XC60 D5 for two weeks, these systems were annoying. Safety? Pay attention to your driving!
The environmental difference isn't in regards to fuel economy, rather the waste of materials in building an extra, non-necessary wheel and tire.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts