SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, folks. Love your forum here...really good stuff, and always informative and entertaining, too. (It's kind of like a "Volvo vitamin"...gotta get a daily dose of it, if/when I can!) I just picked up my new S60 2.4 yesterday. It was GLEAMING!!!! It's a silver metallic with graphite leather interior, and it's equipped with the "usual" stuff, you know, automatic, cold weather, premium pckg., 16" Mimas alloys, etc. LOVE IT!!! Here are my impressions, after just a few scant miles on the odo...

- Ahhhhhh. Leather. Smells a *little* stinky, but it's stinky in a totally good way. Ha ha.

- The interior has pleasing lines, really harmonious throughout. The center stack and cluster are both simple, intuitive, and the switches and knobs are "nice" to use (have a quality feel when you click/turn them). I like the detents on the fan and radio turn-knobs, and I really like the grain (on the IP and the leather seats, etc.).

- My pen holder trim piece was sticking out on the upper left corner. I pressed it really hard and finally got it "properly seated" in the center stack (you know, all flat and flush, like it should be). Fixed!

- Cupholders: I know, I know. TRUE drivers don't want/need cupholders. Blah, blah, blah. Ok, then there's the REST of us who don't mind admitting we use them! For some of us S60 drivers (I can't possibly be alone!) having our daily java jolt is kind of a must. The cupholders don't hold my coffee cups, niether my tall-skinny plastic mugs with snap-off lids nor my styrofoam ones...the trap-door catches their lids (or really, the LIPS of their lids, to be more specific), to the point where it's difficult or impossible to get the cup out of the cupholder without some major wrestling action (and therefore, coffee spillage, which is a cardinal sin in my brand-spankin-new interior). I suppose I'll just go out and buy a new mug that fits, but mine are kind of skinny already. The medium-sized soft drink I got at lunch didn't quite fit, either (it WASN'T even a large!), again, only in the lid area (up high), not down at the base of the cup. I don't suppose there's a trick to getting that trap-door open any further, is there?

- Rims: All four rims have nicks/gouges in them around either 1 or 2 of the 5 bolt holes. I noticed this when I was checking it out, and they actually replaced one (I still don't get why they replaced one, probably just to shut me up and make me feel "listened to"). They're all 2-4 mm nicks in that "painted" finish on the 16" Mimas wheels. Eeeeeek. I guess it's "just aesthetics", because the wheels still function properly, but I'm still a little bummed out about it.

- Locks: Much to my surprise, it wouldn't let me lock the doors with the engine running (with me outside the vehicle). I guess I'll explain. On really raunchy & cold mornings, I go outside, turn on my car, and let it heat up a little (only when there's a significant amount of frost/snow on the vehicle, otherwise I'd just not be such a wuss and I'd just deal with the cold). The thought of scraping (Nooo!) my windshield caused me mucho pain, so I tried my "usual" routine for mornings such as this on my S60. Turn on the car with key fob #1, and leave the keys in the ignition. Press lock button on the door, and all 4 doors lock. Then the driver's door (on the S60, and on my previous vehicles) lock pops back up -- safety feature, you know, so you don't lock yourself out accidentally, I guess. I could (in my past vehicles) press the driver's door lock back down (by hand) and shut the door. Done! Car is running, doors are locked so nobody drives away in it. Then when I'm ready to leave, I unlock the car with key fob #2 from inside the house as I head out.

The Volvo wouldn't let me do this (lock the doors while it was running, while I was NOT in the seat). Anybody know if this is a safety feature that I can override? Did I just push the buttons in the wrong order? Is there a trick to the sequence or something?

Overall, I'm very, very happy with my new Volvo!!! Just wanted to "share"... (Great, now we can all hug and hold hands and sing kum ba yah...uh, not!) Yes, as you can see, the excitement of my new S60 has gone to my head and I'm positively giddy. Happy motoring, guys...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Lisa,

didn't your mom tell you not to...drink and drive?

I am sure that you will be able to find a cup that will fit. And that medium soft drink cup should fit inside one of the two cupholders...I don't know if you realize this but those two cupholders are of two different sizes...they don't look that way but the cupholder that sits higher is the larger size.

The power door lock function is meant to protect you from getting locked out of your car. One good thing that you will notice with a Volvo is that it heats up very quickly. Once you start the car, endure about 90 seconds of cold and then you should be able to get at least warm air inside the cabin. That is one of the wonderful effects of the clever engineering that went into the design of this 5-cylinder engine.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
c

[This message has been edited by GrecianVolvo (edited 04-05-2002).]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Lisa,

Just a reminder, since your car is new, don't forget the (per-se) break-in period strategy:

quote:

1. Try not go above 75 mph for the first 1200 miles. If you are on the highway at higher speeds, try to vary the road speed and don't spend to much time 'crusing' at one steady speed.

2. Keep the revs below 4500 rpm, but it is good to vary engine speed during the break in period. Just drive normally, but don't overtax the engine. Changes in engine speed is more important than changes in road speed for the break-in period.
-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 04-05-2002).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. Yes, it *does* heat up quickly -- VERY quickly! Amazing! (And I'm relieved, too. I swear, I read the locking, auto-locking, etc. pages in the manual, and all are kind of vague, IMHO, about how they work exactly -- probably to keep folks like me from trying to override the system w/tricky sequences or the use of more than one key fob at a time.) Thank goodness none of that is necessary, thanks to the quick warm-up.

"SECOND impressions and questions" now that I've driven it 3 more times...
(And by the way, YES, I'm trying to RTFM, but I'm only about half to 2/3 of the way through it at the moment, and my questions are NOT answered in the manual.) So, on with the 2nd impressions/questions.

- Observation: I like the "purring" sound of the engine. It's not raspy & rough/sputtery like the 2.4 I took a test drive in. Mine is actually pleasant to listen to.

- Observation: ASC is cool, and being able to adjust its "table" (gain) is a neat feature! Like that a lot.

- Question: The airflow vent under the driver's seat (aimed at the left rear passenger's feet) is loose and moves freely. It moves left & right, and fore/aft (toward the driver & back) a bit more than seems necessary. I didn't wrench it or force it, just noticed that it was kind of "hanging out there" in a weird position, and when I touched it felt like it wasn't connected to anything. Anybody know if that's supposed to be rigidly fixed to something further up front (not so easily moved)? Does yours move easily, or feel like it's restrained/constrained in some way up at the front end? I groped around with my fingers/hands up at the front end, and it feels like it should be "seated" there somehow, but I sure as heck don't want to FORCE it up in there myself and break something.

- A minor observation: I noticed the bumps at 10 & 2 on my steering wheel. Interesting. Not saying I like/dislike them, just think they're odd. I guess they're there to help you remember where to hold your steering wheel if you're too busy focusing on other driving issues... following "the line", apexing properly, heel-toe shifting, and watching your tach, but... wait a minute! Mine's an automatic, non-turbo, *and* a daily driver, to boot, so my mind is on nothing OTHER than simple driving (and avoiding all those cars in traffic that seem to be out to get me in my new car, you know, that paranoia that goes with your first week or two of driving your new car)! Anyway, I've convinced myself they must be "performance-inspired", which means they're probably a good thing. Ha ha.

- Another minor observation: Those little door pockets are kinda cool. I have no idea who has anything that small to store in such a tiny cubby, but they look cool, nonetheless. I put my chapstick there, but it'll probably fall out eventually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts