1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
Red ‘04 V70R, Silver ‘97 960, Grey ‘88 745 Turbo
39 Posts
Awesome! Can you still turn without rubbing?

·
Registered
04 xc70, 16t, blue injectors, Monster custom lift, 32" tires
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cut some of the engine cradle and moved it in some. It still rubs some even with 1" spacers in the front. Heated and cut most of the plastic out of the way too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well to begin I took off the 2.5" lift I already had on it. That consists of xc90 front springs on factory struts for the front. The rear I had cut 80's F150 springs on factory struts. Working in a tire shop I see lots of different vehicles and do lots of thinking out of the box. Front suspension consists of modified ford escape struts, extending the top to fit the volvo strut tops and cut the lower tabs that mount to the spindle. Tapped and locktite the top extention and welded the lower mounts on the new struts with newer f150 springs. Then dropped the subframe 4", cut the firewall for the steering to clear (still need to finish that area up). Rear is newer F150 struts with 2 full coils cut off and volvo tops put on with a little spacer put in there to tighten down properly. Dropped rear subframe 3.5" and everything else in between to equal out. Custom rear toe links made from Toyota camry links, cut the bushing ends off and welded u ends. Also cut one long end in half tapped and threaded all thread in both ends, jam both sides and welded all together so it's super strong. Made the trailing arms a little longer and curved to clear the rear caliper bolts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you've driven a bronco II on 2 wheels around a corner you don't fear rolling over. I very rarely drive one the highway, I live in the middle of nowhere in Central Pennsylvania. I've had it lowered and had fun carving corners with it and now it's time for it to be more off road. If I want to go fast around corners I'll take the bike out or my 86 Shelby GLHS out when I get that done. Had that over 20 years and it's my next project before my parkinsons gets bad. I'm crazy but not stupid anymore. LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Awesome !! I need to get my butt up there in a few weeks to come for a ride lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More than welcome any time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
really cool build. A lot of thinking out of the box to get the lift.

Have you seen any issues with drive line components after the lift? I wonder what impact this would have on things like CV joints or AWD system with the lift this big?

·
Registered
99 Posts
And you have a Buell?! A man of refined taste indeed...

Did you buy or machine those shock extenders? I'd be super interested in something like that... I've got extra spring, but travel is limited by the shock.

Any photos of how you mounted the winch? I'm pretty sure I know how you did, but looking for inspiration for when I make my winch mount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
really cool build. A lot of thinking out of the box to get the lift.

Have you seen any issues with drive line components after the lift? I wonder what impact this would have on things like CV joints or AWD system with the lift this big?
Yes I try to think out of the box with all my builds. I have a click in the rear axles and need to drop it another 1/2". Going to be swapping to xc90 axles in the front and get my drive shaft straight too. It kinda goes up then down. But drives decent so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts