SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 v70 is leaking oil into the distributor cap causing misfires, so my dad brought it to the mechanic that I don't really go to anymore and he said he had to take off the cam cover to replace the cam seal... That's totally wrong right? I figured you could do it from the side with a sheet metal screw and tap it in.. I ordered an skf 11809 seal because I couldn't find one locally. Am I on the right track?

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Remove the distributor, remove the cap, remove the old seal and install the new one. Take the air box out for better access.

You should also try to figure out why it's leaking. PCV system up to snuff? Crankcase pressure is what usually pushes them out.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pcv was pretty bad but I did it, and the pan and o rings and everything last year so it could have been damaged from neglect previously. It's got 160k

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, easy to replace. No need at all to remove anything but the cap and rotor.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What the others said - it's an easy replacement. Be careful not to scratch the aluminum head bore or the cam when removing the old seal. And don't put the new seal in too far.

Perform a "glove test" on the PCV system. If this is a higher mileage GLT or T-5 engine, it might be time for the "heater hose mod". Mine was at 210K miles.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the seal popped out entirely. I put a new one in. Very painless. This mechanic sucks. He had taken the cap off and cleaned it and said it was moisture. Ugh. My dad almost let him take the cam cover off. Thank God he told me first. The pcv system is great now but I'm sure this started before it was replaced. The glove test passes great no issues with it now.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Glad you got it sorted! Now on to finding a new mechanic....

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I think that seal had probably been damaged from when the PCV was bad. That's why I won't run my car until I get all of the parts installed this weekend... I don't need any seals going bad!
Glad everything worked out!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The same mechanic also told him that the tranny cooler lines are bad.. But looking at them myself it's the oil cooler lines on the passenger side of the radiator.

We've been going to this guy for years and he started doing really bad work when his brother left the business. He has mechanics that don't know anything and the work that he does himself is sloppy and haphazard. He did the heater core on this car and the line blew off 50 miles later because he didn't clip it right.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
The same mechanic also told him that the tranny cooler lines are bad.. But looking at them myself it's the oil cooler lines on the passenger side of the radiator.

We've been going to this guy for years and he started doing really bad work when his brother left the business. He has mechanics that don't know anything and the work that he does himself is sloppy and haphazard. He did the heater core on this car and the line blew off 50 miles later because he didn't clip it right.

Oil cooler lines on the passenger side and tranny cooler lines are on the driver's side. Leeking/seeping oil cooler lines are common especially when the PCV is clogged. If you have replaced the PCV system you may want to just clean the lines off and see if they stop leaking with the new PCV system. That worked for me on our S70.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're leaking really bad, I could soak the oil up with a sponge. I don't know why he told me it was the tranny lines

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
They're leaking really bad, I could soak the oil up with a sponge. I don't know why he told me it was the tranny lines

Oh ok. Ours were just weeping. You probably need to replace yours.

Like others have said, find a new mechanic. Even if he doesn't have much knowledge of Volvos, it takes 2 seconds to see which lines go where. Also leaking oil does not look like leaking trans fluid.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh yeah I know.. I have a Volvo indie that I can go to, and a pretty competent mechanic next door from me that I'm friendly with, but he keeps going back to this one dude who sucks! It's so annoying. And then I'm stuck cleaning up after him or redoing the work entirely. My dad's Greek and stubborn, but I'm the only family he has in this country and he lives down the street so it's hard to avoid lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
If this is a higher mileage GLT or T-5 engine, it might be time for the "heater hose mod". Mine was at 210K miles.
Can you point me in the right direction for info on this mod? my V70 is new to me at 234k miles and leaking oil, water in the floor after it rains and a broken left front strut. But I am going to nurse her back to health.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Sounds like you have a leaking sunroof drain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,686 Posts
Can you point me in the right direction for info on this mod? my V70 is new to me at 234k miles and leaking oil, water in the floor after it rains and a broken left front strut. But I am going to nurse her back to health.
If you don't need to remove your coolant hoses from the firewall connection and they aren't leaking there, leave that mess lie. I obviously had to remove the hoses to do the engine swap in my 850R so you can see the details on my version of that mod by clicking the link for that car in my sig. I modified the normal procedure slightly on my car so that I didn't have to modify any of the original parts aside from deleting that firewall junction box.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Yes, crack or maybe worse- meth...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts