SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New and much improved over my old shield, including protection from radiated blacktop heat and the most important part of all, serious under car air vanes to direct a major amount of under car flow up over the controller and haldex coupler. Made from a 8" x 18" piece of 0.025" thick aluminum.

Its a tad higher than the exhaust when slow or stationary, but the vanes are a little flexible so they can lower to grab a bit more air at highspeeds.

Pics speak a thousand words so enjoy. Wish I still had access to serious metal working tools but I'm good at improvising with just snips and scrap lumber from the refurb going on across from me in the alley, lol.

I'm also planning on an air director that will go in the place above the old EBD location to direct all the hot pre-tunnel and cat air to the passenger side, opposite the vents, but this is all I'm doing for tonight, cause my hands are getting sore and I have drag races to go to tonight, lol.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Cool..tee-hee. You're like the McGyver of heat shields. I don't know, maybe you need one that incorporates liquid nitrogen.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Looks like a spaceship prototype from Lucasfilm. Was that in Return of the Jedi? :)
Nice work, but I wonder since you are directly coupled to the exhaust if the fins are actually radiating more heat towards the Haldex like heat sinks. Can you do this without connecting to the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If he stays moving, it will deflect a lot of heat. If you have access to an infrared heat gun, you could check the temps of the fins after a spirited run down a (florida) canyon road ;)

Nice job on it, regardless! I promise- I won't copy this one, my stock exhaust would be too difficult to get a form like that.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
I like it!

How much does the exhaust pipe expand when hot? Would this expanding and contracting cause your attachment points to fail??

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even by my own standards this is overkill, especially since my old shield design is pretty good, but since I'm going to be taking the car to a few track events this summer and I've heard stories about people having their haldex shut down due to overheating in such environments, I figured I'd do my best to create a little advanced thermal control for my ageing haldex and its controller.

With the exception of a small spot where the pipe comes close to the haldex, the entire shielding tube is spaced 1/4" from the exhaust pipe so there is some good room for airflow, plus the vanes will act as radiators for the radiated heat the shield does adsorb. I went for a crazy all out run with the car to get everything as hot as possible and then made a quick stop to stick my arm under the car to feel the shield, and I'm glad to say that while it was warm to the touch it was still cool enough for me to keep my finger on it till I stayed in one place for more than a minute. Would have been a lot easier if I did have an IR heat gun though, lol.

There will be some minimum expansion differences between the pipe and the shield, but I don't think it should be enough to cycle and break the connecting tabs though. I tried to minimize the connector tab area so they wouldn't conduct much heat to the shield either.

I have a haldex controller that appears to be getting a little flaky when it gets really hot so I'll hopefully be able to judge the shield's effectiveness by its error rate, lol.

Track event is next weekend so I'll have a real heavy duty test of how it performs by next weekend as well. :D

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I almost forgot to mention that I borrowed an IR heat gun from someone after a couple of runs around the track. If it was fairly correct I got a reading of about 140 degrees.

Despite over two hours of track time I only got a reducted traction control warning once towards the end of a very hard run so I'd say mission accomplished. :D

·
Registered
8,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Dude! Do you ever go to work? lol

I like your DIY metal fab skills.

I'll bet all the local fauna are running for their lives:D

I hereby name this mod the Stealthy Haldex Heat Sheild/Vent System and Exhaust Rodent Decapitation Device - That would be SHHSVSERDD for short. Doesnt really work does it.... oh well.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, lets just say I frequently have time to kill at work, but the next couple of weeks here may keep me a bit more occupied than I normally am.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Very innovative! I like the way you think lol.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, after a month of use and a track event I'm glad to report that the new shield seems to be performing well.

I've been keeping an eye on it and noticed that the forward air tab was drooping a little lower than the rest though and when I reached under to bend it back up I could feel that its resistance to movement was a bit weak. So I jacked up the car and slipped underneath to discover that the small bit of aluminum that connects the forward tab had started to crack and all the flexing caused the crack to progress almost half the way across it.

Nothing a little reinforcement and rivits couldn't fix though, lol. I even used a little RTV silicon to act as an adhesive for the main reinforcement plate I made to correct the issue. Now that this weak link is repaired I'm pretty sure my new Shield should be good to go for quite a while now. :D

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Stelthy.. where is the old heat sheld..? you still got it..? do you still need/want it..?
and WOW!!!! dude!!!!!! really really!!???thats damn impressive, i too need some metal fabing equipment.... Hummm start our own hot rod shop...? hummmm

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
yea thats kool. but what about the shop idea..... we got the skill.... some old sop manuals and text books.you know when shop books were real and text books were right
we can mass produce both. and make other things and make this fool pay us millions!!!!!! HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry i was being evil.........
yea i was going to do it next weekend. i was going to copy your temp-let into something then stretch it and wala! aahahahahah

1 - 20 of 37 Posts