SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horn in my 1965 PV 544 sounded rather wimpy when I bought the car. So I decided to pull the radiator which was necessary to get to it. Then I replaced it with a standard replacement horn. However it still sounds really wimpy. I noticed that there are some higher end ones available for sale. But I’m also wondering if maybe I have a short in the wiring that makes the horn barely audible. Has anyone else encountered this?

·
Registered
555 Posts
cv;

I'd see/hear what the new horn sounds like when connected directly across the Battery...in other words, give it FULL voltage! It is likely that the "Inferiority Complex" is caused by reduced voltage being applied...locate where in your vehicle this is occurring, eliminate/minimize, and you should/will hear an output similar to the direct connection test. I do recommend installing a Relay if not already present in your vehicle. See also (these are notes for 122, but applicable to your 544 to a great extent): https://www.sw-em.com/122_horn_notes.htm

EDIT: BTW, a "short in the wiring..." is an inadvertent/unwanted connection between two points....what you more likely are experiencing is the opposite: Where a good connection is wanted, only a poor one exists (and here is where the Voltage drop(s) I speak of, develop), not across the load, which is ideally the only place voltage is wanted (besides the source)! These two conditions are VERY different and you should try to understand this difference.

I expect your "old" horn may be just fine also...

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent response, thank you! I will test it against the battery direct. I don’t think it has a relay but I’ll trace the wiring to be sure. I also noticed somewhere someone put in two horns. I will see how it sounds directly connected to the battery. It was sounding better when I installed the new horn but clearly it needs something else. I really appreciate your expertise.

·
Registered
555 Posts
cv;

Thanks for the kind words...I formulate my responses to explain cause and give recommended path toward resolution...I figure they are most useful that way...

...and for the sake of complete info and explanation, the reason I recommend adding a Relay to switch Horn current is because the Horns are essentially a (magnetic) coil which generates lots of sparks (plasma on the contact) when opening the switch...this plasma is better handled by a Relay with a beefy working contact, than the modest Hornring switch in the Steering Wheel...see also link!

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I also noticed somewhere someone put in two horns.
That someone would be the factory - there is a "high-tone" and "low-tone" horn to each side of the radiator in the stock configuration. When only one horn sounds, it's definitely "wimpy". The two work together, in addition to using their mounting brackets, to achieve the attention-getting richness.

·
Registered
555 Posts
cv;

I didn't comment on this, but I totally agree with tm...when only one horn sounds, the audio profile is significantly less than half because when both sound together, there are overtones and mixing frequencies created, which present a more attention-getting sound profile...and if you look at wiring diagrams, you will also see two Horns shown...

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
One other "note" ;). The low-tone horn, the snailshell one, has a tuning screw at the top, which sets the gap on the interrupter contact and therefore can raise or lower the note. You can get quite a pleasant result by tweaking it, if the horns have been replaced or rearranged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the two horns and it sounds awesome! No wiring issues either. Looking for a reason to honk my horn now (jk). Thank you both so much for the “sound “ advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts